Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Necromancers actually bringing someone BACK from the dead.  (Read 8233 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Necromancers actually bringing someone BACK from the dead.
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:53:13 pm »

Right now as its planned, necro(mancers) will only raise corpses etc to serve them as their slaves etc. But what do REAL necromancers do? Real necromancers actually resurrect people. They dont just live forever and have a hoard of zombies(Though that is acceptable if it doesn't occur too often) So my suggestion is this(Though an alternate version of this might be somewhat planned):

Dont make necromancers the guys who have the secret of no-aging/immortality. Necromancers should have the secret of possession(To allow a ghost or dead soul to temporarily under certain conditions enter an unconscious/willing body) or the secret of embodiment(To allow some soul to be passed into an alternate(Probably dead/unconscious) body and replacing the old one). This would mean that rather than having necromancers be the dark lords with their zombie hordes, they should be the guys who can bring back the dark lords. They should also form cults. These cults would have to exists in order for the necromancers to continue living on forever because the rituals involve them communing to complete the task.

Zombies might be possible and sometimes required but I dont really understand why they should be able to raise ALL corpses that they come across. Perhaps, if they learn the secret of capturing souls(And I'm just making this up) in order to project some sort of life into the zombies. I just think  the zomby thing should be a bit limited.

What do you think?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers actually bringing someone BACK from the dead.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:56:24 pm »

No, real necromancers would just chat with the dead. Hey, perfect sheriff right there!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:01:47 pm »

No, real necromancers would just chat with the dead. Hey, perfect sheriff right there!

That too but really, I would expect to find fortune tellers in cities to be the ones doing that.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 04:03:07 pm »

Well, yes. Necromancers are a subset of those.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:04:45 pm »

I mean come on... Having some dudes who are even STRONGER than the necromancers and then having them die and maybe come back because of some cults is just asking to be epic.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:23:37 pm »

I think giving people the power to resurrect like that is too strong, and not a popular enough fantasy trope. It's also a more complicated role, because resurrecting someone would not automatically make them friendly, so the reasons for doing it would be more complex than razing a zombie.

I do like the idea of entities that live through possession though. There need to be more variations of such powers.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »

I think giving people the power to resurrect like that is too strong, and not a popular enough fantasy trope. It's also a more complicated role, because resurrecting someone would not automatically make them friendly, so the reasons for doing it would be more complex than razing a zombie.

I do like the idea of entities that live through possession though. There need to be more variations of such powers.
True. But its not like they can just resurrect someone at will instantly. First you need a body. Also, perhaps it can haper only at certain times of the year/month and in certain places. Depending on the secret. Like only at the end of summer and at the death place of the person you want to  resurrect.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 05:13:50 pm »

What I want to see is being able to have friendly necromancers within my fort, who can interact with the ghosts wandering around my fort. Maybe be able to stick them into a new body, or help them over to the other side, or simply keep them peaceful while I build more sarcophagi.

Actually, what would be really cool is having a necromancer be a type of noble who is able to give you a level of control over your ghostly inhabitants, depending on his necromancy level. If he's good at it, he should be able to convince the ghosts to do just about anything, if he's pretty bad at it, there's a chance he will only make them angrier.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:22:17 pm »

What I want to see is being able to have friendly necromancers within my fort, who can interact with the ghosts wandering around my fort. Maybe be able to stick them into a new body, or help them over to the other side, or simply keep them peaceful while I build more sarcophagi.

Actually, what would be really cool is having a necromancer be a type of noble who is able to give you a level of control over your ghostly inhabitants, depending on his necromancy level. If he's good at it, he should be able to convince the ghosts to do just about anything, if he's pretty bad at it, there's a chance he will only make them angrier.
I dono. Sounds awfuly overpowered. I dot think necromacers would be something the general population would want.  Especially once faith and religion come in.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:49 pm »

Remember. Every single position you can imagine, a religion or faith has taken that at some point.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »

Taken what?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 06:04:38 pm »

I dono. Sounds awfuly overpowered. I dot think necromacers would be something the general population would want.  Especially once faith and religion come in.

I don't think it would be too bad, they would mostly just like consolers for the dead, add the possibility of making a ghost go berserk if the necromancer screws up, and it would be pretty interesting. And I'm sure necromancers would be welcomed into almost any sensible fortress. Dwarves could even get happy thoughts from visiting with them and being able to talk to dead loved ones.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »

Taken what?

That position.

Some religions preach that there are no gods. Others that magic is good.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 06:16:28 pm »

Taken what?

That position.

Some religions preach that there are no gods. Others that magic is good.
Oh. True. yeah. that would have to wait. you are all derailing. The suggestion wasnt about having necromancers in your fort.  ::)  :P

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 06:18:43 pm »

I said the fort dwelling necromancers could stick ghosties back into physical bodies, that sort of keeps it on topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3