Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: how to deal with finite coal?  (Read 4239 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: how to deal with finite coal?
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »

1. Necro got muted for a while, i forget why.
2. He was famous for shouting MAGMA in all caps, italic, bold, and quite large writing as a solution to problems.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 05:33:10 pm »

1. Necro got muted for a while, i forget why.
This is why:
2. He was famous for shouting MAGMA in all caps, italic, bold, and quite large writing as a solution to problems.

He also kept derailing threads with Insistent Terminology.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »

Something about rape and ponies, or was that just the first time?

No, no, wait, I remember. I think he was muted again because he went into derailment overdrive almost as soon as he was unmuted. Ponies, pics, MAAAAAAAGMAAAAAA. All the works.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 12:57:52 am »

Zalisiden until its demise was wallowing in coal.

It's the only one that i've had a surfeit of coal before.

OMG, my reclaim map, Ducimom, is SWIMMING in bituminous coal.  I've got entire layers that are straight magnetite and bit coal...i've got hundreds of units of the stuff...

...and I'd still trade it in a heartbeat for even a single smidge of flux!! :P

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 09:47:39 am »

I still don't get what this meme has to do with Necron getting banned? Is it not allowed?

More to the point, per the Moderation Log, Necro was muted for 2 weeks (not banned) for ignoring warnings and thread derailment.  Such as a question about a "lava pipe" being immediately derailed by a hissy fit about how it should be "magma," to the apparent bewilderment and confusion of the OP.

I like magma as much as the next dwarf, but Necro's a one-trick pony with it (heh, got a pony reference in there).  IMO, things have been actually done with magma that are far more interesting, clever, and amusing than simply shouting the word over and over.  The FTW lever in Boatmurdered, the Dorf Xmas Message, and so many accidents (and "accidents").

I don't dislike the guy or want him banned or anything, I just wish the meme would go away.  Magma's been around a lot longer than Necro has and we all know it's an option in many, many situations.

OMG, my reclaim map, Ducimom, is SWIMMING in bituminous coal.  I've got entire layers that are straight magnetite and bit coal...i've got hundreds of units of the stuff...and I'd still trade it in a heartbeat for even a single smidge of flux!! :P 

Floundericious, I confess I'd be tempted to do some modding to turn, say, orthoclase or microcline into a flux stone with that map.   ;)
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 11:50:50 am »

...and I'd still trade it in a heartbeat for even a single smidge of flux!! :P
Yup. If you have magma, the only thing you can do with your mountain of coal is to make steel with it. And you can't do that without flux. If things were the other way around and you had flux but no coal, wood is available from more sources and comes in greater quantities.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 02:56:03 pm »

OMG, my reclaim map, Ducimom, is SWIMMING in bituminous coal.  I've got entire layers that are straight magnetite and bit coal...i've got hundreds of units of the stuff...and I'd still trade it in a heartbeat for even a single smidge of flux!! :P 

Floundericious, I confess I'd be tempted to do some modding to turn, say, orthoclase or microcline into a flux stone with that map.   ;)
[/quote]

LOL :) why not...It's a reclaim map and is already buggered (ghosts for dwarf bodies that cannot be found anywhere (I even mined out the frozen river to make sure they'd not died in there). 

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 03:28:47 am »

It's not so much of an issue now, but prior to the Cavern layer update, you could deforest an entire map in just a few years.
You must mean "prior to DF2010"...
It's not so much of an issue now, but prior to the Cavern layer update, you could deforest an entire map in just a few years. And the logistics of harvesting an entire map can get nightmarish too, when you're sending wood cutters 125 tiles+ away from your fort and they get jumped by an entire squad of ambushers.
Just use channels to cut off your forests from any nasties.  It's a little like a slow-motion game of Qix, and more fun than the other micromanagement the game makes you do.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 11:17:47 am »

Go on a logging spree for the first year or two before ambushes show up.  I still have 2000 logs in the stocks menu and a near legendary wood cutter who clear cut half the heavily wooded map.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »

LOL :) why not...It's a reclaim map and is already buggered (ghosts for dwarf bodies that cannot be found anywhere (I even mined out the frozen river to make sure they'd not died in there).
...and it's done!  Steel production is underway only rudely interrupted by a goblin siege.

Funny story though!  A megabeast (fat, giant, hairy, human-giant monster) appeared on the map about two months after the goblins showed up...and the goblin archers ripped him to pieces in about 30 seconds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]