Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: how to deal with finite coal?  (Read 4244 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: how to deal with finite coal?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 01:05:01 am »

Also, the trickle of weapons you can buy off caravans is best used as-is rather than melted down; last I heard you still only got a third of the metal back, and it uses up two bars of fuel to reforge into something dwarfier into the bargain. The same goes for battlefield loot, at least in the short term.

Anvils and cages make a full bar, so they're usually worth the fuel investment. If you have a good weaponsmith, you can turn a 300☼ steel anvil into a masterwork serrated disc.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 06:35:16 am »

I embark on a 5x5 heavily forested area, and every year cut every single tree on the map :)
Same with the caverns once I open them.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 08:33:10 pm »

Assuming you want to use the steel to fully arm and armour 200 dwarves (which is pretty much my goal with every fort) you'll probably need 2200 steel bars or so, which means you only *ever* need 2200 pieces of coke or coal. That means you probably only ever need a maximum of 2400 wood, period, barring mood requirements. I've never found it difficult to get all the wood I need. Flux and iron ore seem far more rare to me on most maps.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 02:12:42 am »

Find the rare blessed civilization that lets you embark with bituminous coal. Don't bring anything but coal.
Fun!
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 04:00:33 am »

No picks? No axes?

"We have arrived! Let's celebrate it with a mug of... coal?"
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 06:41:29 am »

Steel is an end product, not an ore, so you need more coal than steel bars. Make iron, make pig iron, make steel, make steel things. That's four steps.

Chopping lots of wood is enough to keep all your smelters and forges running. I never seem to find that much bituminous coal anyway.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 09:38:17 am »

Use magma to power furnaces.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 02:36:20 pm »

I always power my forges with magma and make sure all my wood is either used up or forbidden before the next caravan arrives. They bring about 50 each time. Do this for all three caravans and you can make 150 pieces of charcoal each year.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 05:12:23 pm »

Find the rare blessed civilization that lets you embark with bituminous coal. Don't bring anything but coal.
Fun!
Wouldn't you get your bituminous coal as blocks then, not in a usable form?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 05:35:21 pm »

Last I checked, there was a "stone" option both before embarking and in the trade agreements. That the caravans have a tendency of bringing of blocks seems unrelated, i.e., they will still bring stones, but only in trifling amounts due to weight restrictions and still bringing a lot of wares you never ordered.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »

Having a large empty stockpile seems to make the elves and humans bring more wood.

Has it been determined whether or not a given stockpile has to actually accept the kind of wood they bring for them to bring it? Does a Wood stockpile that doesn't accept any wood count?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »

I believe that any wood that can't be placed into a stockpile is indeed counted (so if you have a ton of maple wood and your stockpile only accepts birch, the maple will still be counted) I'm not 100% certain on that however.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 10:48:38 pm »

By what I've heard in the past, it's not a stockpile thing, it's caused simply by not having wood. However I don't recall seeing any true confirmation of this; you could do science to find out.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:24 pm »

By what I've heard in the past, it's not a stockpile thing, it's caused simply by not having wood. However I don't recall seeing any true confirmation of this; you could do science to find out.

I've noticed I get a ton of wood no matter how much I have in stock...possibly it's similar to the elves bringing tons of rope reed cloth in terms of profit margin.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 12:00:38 am »

Zalisiden until its demise was wallowing in coal.

It's the only one that i've had a surfeit of coal before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4