Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Glitch - A World Shaped by the Players  (Read 15304 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch - A World Shaped by the Players
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2012, 05:25:07 pm »

You'll probably explode if you visit Cerbakul during Zilloween, but in general you should be fine.

If you're on Firefox, you can install this addon to force all Flash content to run in Low Quality.
That plug-in doesn't work for me, nor does the Greasemonkey script. At least, not outside of Youtube videos and South Park Studios. If I can get the plug-in to work I'll consider getting into Glitch. It does look fun, kind of.

-edit- it says on the official website that the requirements are a browser with flash on a computer made in the last few years. My computer was last made around 2001 so that automatically means that like with almost every single goddamn game I want to play I won't be able to play it because I am too poor to afford a modern machine. I'm sorry, but it will be at least a few months to a couple years before I can even consider playing a game like this.

Have fun everyone.

-edit- I know you said I will be fine but believe me when I say that I won't be fine with this game on this computer. My computer even has problems running older games like Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights on higher than low settings and it tends to stutter on Youtube without forcing low-quality Flash. I'm sorry for bothering you with this.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:30:43 pm by dei »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2012, 07:10:59 pm »

Sorry to hear it. :( You can get a reasonable spec laptop for quite cheap these days, but obviously your financial health is the most important consideration. I hope you get to a better position soon!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2012, 12:02:41 am »

Sorry to hear it. :( You can get a reasonable spec laptop for quite cheap these days, but obviously your financial health is the most important consideration. I hope you get to a better position soon!

Thanks, but seeing as I'm disabled and unable to work the only way I will be able to afford even a refurbished computer is when my Section 8 goes through and I find a place that accepts it. A few months into having an affordable apartment I might be able to get a computer from somewhere around 2005-2011, though there would be more pressing priorities like a mattress and clothing that doesn't have holes in it.

Hopefully I remember Glitch when the time comes. I will still probably want to play it since it looks enjoyable, even if the graphics look a little weird to me. Ah well, hopefully that day comes soon. In the meantime though I'll have to settle for other things to get my creativity going in games.

Once more, and it bears repeating, have fun everyone.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2012, 01:46:24 am »

Thanks, but seeing as I'm disabled and unable to work the only way I will be able to afford even a refurbished computer is when my Section 8 goes through and I find a place that accepts it. A few months into having an affordable apartment I might be able to get a computer from somewhere around 2005-2011, though there would be more pressing priorities like a mattress and clothing that doesn't have holes in it.

Hopefully I remember Glitch when the time comes. I will still probably want to play it since it looks enjoyable, even if the graphics look a little weird to me. Ah well, hopefully that day comes soon. In the meantime though I'll have to settle for other things to get my creativity going in games.

Once more, and it bears repeating, have fun everyone.

I think if you use some creativity, you should be able to get a desktop capable of playing this game for free or super cheap. People are throwing out computers every day that work, nobody wants them. The are often recycled. Just ask everyone you know if they have an old computer sitting in their garage or laying around, i have like 4 or 5 here i think. Good luck and think positive, the universe is an abundant place, you need only ask with an open mind and heart and you just might be surprised :) Heck, I would send you one if you paid the shipping.

About Glitch: I started playing a few weeks back because it totally seemed like my kind of game, but somehow I just didnt click to it as much as I thought I would. I found it hard to engage with people, the world is pretty huge and I got sorta lost wandering around. That was fun but got old after a bit.

I also seemed to lack any real goals or motivation to keep playing beyond the quests. They are pretty good quests as far as these things go I think, but just doing quests got a little tiring.

I feel like I am missing something and maybe you guys can help me find it. I would like to feel some sense of community and long term goals to keep me playing. I find the world interesting and I like the way the game plays, I just could use a little more...something.

Add me in game if you like, my name is same as here, Ductape.
I got nothing

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2012, 09:14:37 pm »

Long term goals are things like becoming self-sustaining with skills like cooking and construction. You'll want to decorate and expand your house, create farm/herb plots, grow food in order to create fancy meals and herbs to create potions and tinctures that provide assorted benefits. Building machines lets you create furniture, materials, tools, etc, which are the more industrial activities. A huge ongoing goal for collectors/completionists is the massive library of badges/achievements. Each badge gives a reward, so they're like mini quests themselves. There's also "Cubimals", which are collectable wind-up toys and are very sought after (for the rare ones, anyway).

My daily needs in Glitch these days (because I enjoy farming) include growing herbs in order to create Yellow Crumb Flowers, Hairball Flowers and Rubeweed; I shuck the Crumbs for seeds because they make good donating material at the Shrines, and I'm working towards getting a full set of Giant Idols (created by combining 11 Emblems, which you gain after donating a sufficient amount to the appropriate Shrine). Hairball Flowers are turned into a tincture that provides a movespeed buff; I use these when travelling through the Ancestral lands, because there's a timer that kicks you out after 10 minutes or so. Faster movement means I can spend more time in there, triggering Traps and dodging Juju Bandits, both of which have associated badges to achieve. The Rubeweed tincture summons The Rube: an NPC who makes ridiculous, random trades. He once traded me a Class Ax for a bottle of Hooch. I also donate Meat, so I spend a lot of time wandering the world looking for Piggies to nibble. Doing all these things earns me lots of iMG, which I spend on Upgrade cards that give me new abilities/actions or enhance things like how high I can jump, how fast I can scrape barnacles, or my Quoin multiplyer (Quoins are little 'coins' found in the world that give you money, iMG, happiness or energy. You start with a limit of 100 per in-game day, but this can be increased, and their 'value' can be multiplied). Arguably the most important upgrade you can get, though, are the Brain upgrades, which ups your skill capacity and lowers the time penalties for learning more skills than your brain can currently 'hold'.

A recent addition to the game are the "Feat" events, which are global tasks that change every day or two, and all players globally work towards the goals. It's usually little more than a glorified "do X thousands of times" task, though, as far as I've seen so far, but you can get some rare items as rewards.

There's a vibrant community, and the Global chat channel is always active. Players are mature and helpful, for the most part. Many aspects of the game encourage doing good deeds to other Glitchen, so you'll often see people asking for players of level 3, 4, or 5, because there is a particular quest that rewards you for gifting items to newbies. The graphics may look a bit kiddy, but it's definitely not a kid's game, and swearing is not censored. Expect adult conversations occasionally. Go and "pet" some Wood trees and you'll see that this definitely isn't geared for young children. :)

Sorry for the long post. If you read it, though, I hope it gives you some idea of what to expect. Obviously I had to just stop typing at some point, but there's a lot more to do in the game besides what I've described here (like driving off Rook attacks, which are awesome, watch one here, though bear in mind it's very old footage and it's much less chaotic these days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpHjKlUAEgE&t=11m30s)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:23:17 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »

This game creep me out the first time I played it, I did the whole help thing at the start and I could not tell if the helper was bot or a real person.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:55 pm »

Another thing that may help you enjoy the game more are the array of community sites, one of which I consider nearly essential, that being Glitch Remote. A bunch of other ones, in no real order are agent86's Time Saving Tools, The Glitch Market, Serious Routes, The Glitchen Housing Directory, Glitch Academy, and of course, The wiki.

Pre-Post Edit: I still have 5 invites to give away, just PM me your E-mail address and I'll send it out ASAP.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2012, 02:33:33 am »

I've got 3 invites still, if anyone's looking. Just PM me your email. I'm still active here - it doesn't require a lot of brain power but is interesting enough to keep at it a few times per week to relax and unwind. My in-game name is Aira.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2012, 07:12:02 am »

I have 5 invites in case anyone is interested. Although you can also click the  'Join me' thingy right here to start playing without having to create an account or anything. (I've been told) I think it sets you up with a temporary guest account that gets immortalized when you decide to sign up.

I've been actively playing for over a year now, and the game has been shaping up a lot the last few weeks. Also, my museum got featured in the player-run newspaper website thing: http://www.theimaginatur.com/towers-in-review-museum-edition/ It got a 5-pickle rating!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2012, 07:46:14 am »

What's this about invites and such?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2012, 03:31:30 pm »

You want one, Darkling? Send me a PM with your email and you can have one of mine.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2012, 03:32:39 pm »

Nah, I made me an account yonks ago, checked it a while back and it still works. I was just curious because I don't remember it requiring invites before :P
I'm Kyratzes Talvadore ingame if anyone sees me around.

Thanks for the offer though  :)

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »

B-buh... but April 1st is next year...

No...   :'(

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2012, 11:26:53 pm »

Unfortunate, but I didn't really see this gaining much traction anyway. It was a wonderful idea, and while I admit, I'd not seriously visited it for a few weeks, I loved the community I'd met and was eager to see the future it might hold.

It did have its problems though...

It launched to the public too early and with a ton of bugs, wasting the pretty good PR they got from the initial trailer release with poor first impressions.

They sent it back to closed beta for a seriously long time, only opening it up to invites here or there over the months it was closed off.

Once it was released to the public, yet again, there wasn't much of a wave of public knowledge like the initial announcement. It flew under a lot of people's radars and thus they never got the huge following they might have had the initial release gone smoothly.

It was a social game, primarily, and as much as I hate things like facebook and the games that go along with it, it really had poor connections to the social networks most people are already entrenched within. You were asking people to create and keep track of yet one more circle of friends that required more time out of an already busy day just to keep up with. It's not like some games where you can leave it off and then come back at your leisure. Social networking was the primary goal of the game and let your friendships stagnate for a while and things tend to die off unless you know them from elsewhere.

I met some really cool people on there, and yet, since I haven't played in weeks, I don't even know if they'd be interested at all in continuing any sort of communication outside of the game. I don't even know if there was much of a connection there other than "nice people helping out a newbie," as that was what the communication consisted of, primarily for me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]