Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Glitch - A World Shaped by the Players  (Read 15310 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch - A World Shaped by the Players
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 03:07:35 am »

Agreed with Moogie, i played Glitch quite a lot until i got all the skills (at least all the skills available back then), and it's a really fun game, not at all a "facebook game".
What i liked most about it, is that it's also designed around socializing with other players to do things together, making it more engaging somehow. I mean, you can play it like a solo game if you want, but it was the most fun for me when i was doing things with other players, giving gifts (or drugs) to random strangers and being nice. As far as i remember, you can only get cosmetic stuff in the cash shop, so it's not a pay2win either.

I might actually restart playing it soon, i feel like i have some unfinished business with this game still.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 03:13:10 am »

Over the recent months they have reworked home streets, added personal towers, reworked the level-up system so you can upgrade and customize with your experience points(imagination), and added some quests. So it's definitely a good time to return if you've been away a while.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2012, 05:36:36 am »

That other thread kind of annoyed me when I read it. I'm by no means being one of those "fangirls", but the complaints about Facebook and harvesting cherries are just... whuh??

I don't have Facebook. Hate the fuggin' place. Glitch does not require it. And to be perfectly honest, I haven't seen a single button or nag screen about Facebook the entire time I played, and I wouldn't have known it had any FB integration if I hadn't read those posts.

The harvesting thing, though, I don't even understand what the complaint was, so I can't comment on that. Maybe they saw it and immediately assumed the game was all Farmville-ish? What someone should have told them is that most of the game you are wandering around a giant world, doing a combination of crafting, exploring, collecting, platforming and puzzle-solving. Sure, the game starts you off picking cherries. But you'll soon be making cocktail drinks, splanking players, ghost hunting, protecting streets from Rook attacks, swapping candies on Zilloween, helping to build new streets, decorating and upgrading your house... and yes, you can also do a spot of farming too, if you like. It's by no means a focus of the gameplay, though- just another option, another way to spend your time playing.

There's plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike a game like Glitch. If someone wants to turn their nose up at it and scoff, they should at least do it for real reasons. Misinformation about any subject just pisses me off. :P

ikr.

People will be people, always judging the book by it's cover.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »

At first I was skeptical of this game; everything about it reminded me of the de facto generic "facebook" social games, decidedly so by the inclusion of an energy bar, etc.

However, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot to do in this game, and don't allow the energy/mood bars fool you. They are there to give people something else to do and to aim for if they want to build their character in a certain way to fill a certain role. The depth and complexity of the things you can create and help people with in this game truly staggered me. Not to mention the fact that it has one of the friendliest communities I have ever come across in a game. If I had any question at all, it was immediately answered by multiple people as soon as I asked on the General chat channels. I was then added to numerous peoples friends lists, sent free newbie gifts, invited to "social gatherings" at peoples houses where I had a cool time just chatting with some people about the game and the things that you could do in it.

There are a lot of skills in the game and a lot of places to go and a lot of things to try and master and create. It is honestly more akin to sandbox games like Wurm, with a more community centric, friendly feel to it than "facebook" social games.

If you feel the need to be overly critical, at least give it a try for a few days!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2012, 03:14:28 am »

Over the recent months they have reworked home streets, added personal towers, reworked the level-up system so you can upgrade and customize with your experience points(imagination), and added some quests. So it's definitely a good time to return if you've been away a while.

Well, i caved in and came back yesterday, it's been about a year i think since i last played this...
First thing i noticed is i "lost" my house because the housing system changed radically, but all my stuff was kept safe, and when i opened the box... item explosion on the ground. I still haven't managed to tidy everything, but i'm getting there. I just kinda wonder what i was thinking about when i gathered 11 000 milk bottles....

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2012, 03:20:26 am »

That in a game where milk never spoils, if there was any chance they might come in useful, you might as well save them if you had the space?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2012, 03:42:45 am »

So who has invites? I just watched the trailer on their site and I'm interested now.

EDIT: I'm in as Aira. Thanks to Sluissa for the invite! Is that B12 group still going?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:42:19 am by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 11:01:23 am »

Well I'm officially hooked. More players might be attracted if the first post were updated to show more of the game. Also, the video on the home page is very nice.

Here's a few screen shots I took. Is there still a B12 group? Or would anyone be interested in starting a new one? I still have an invite if anyone wants it.

Got crabs?

Do you believe?

Falling back to the present day.

Gettin' some spice in West Spice. My favorite area, graphics-wise.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 01:59:15 pm »

I've added you as a friend, Aira. :] (GimmeCat)

Send me a message if you need any help or have questions. There's a TON of websites and resources to help, too. Also, don't be afraid of Global chat! They're an incredibly friendly bunch and always willing to help, especially when it comes to new players.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

There is a Bay12 Group! You can apply/join here: http://www.glitch.com/groups/RUVPA38ERFH2V24/

Also, 843% penalty to skill learn time. Yipes!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

You can't apply. It just says "this group is invitation only." Could I get one of those invitations?

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2012, 05:27:59 pm »

Those are some really cool screens! I haven't really been anywhere interesting, sadly just building up skills and talking over global chat. Feel free to add me ingame (Detrevni) and I'll try my best to help people out C:

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:50 pm »

I'm Hugehead ingame, I'll add both of you.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »

i tried tyo signup and never got an email back. how do i download?
I got nothing

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »

i tried tyo signup and never got an email back. how do i download?

It is a browser game, but you need an invite from another player at the moment.
They will be sending out invites to people who requested an invite on their site...but, there's a backlog six months long.

You can't apply. It just says "this group is invitation only." Could I get one of those invitations?

Oops. Yeah will do that later today.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6