Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Training weaponsmith  (Read 7346 times)

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training weaponsmith
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »

What do you guys find as the best way to train a weapon smith? Mass produce something or wait until you get a migrant of decent level or fey mood? I'm tempted to mass produce bolts but I don't want to waste all that metal.

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training weaponsmith
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:38 pm »

i save up metal and wait for one to show up
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:55 pm »

Iron isn't exactly rare. Find a decent weaponsmith and pump out weapons and bolts.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:41 pm »

I keep a staff of weaponsmiths in a starting fort - normally one of them gets a mood in a reasonable amount of time. I train up the weaponsmiths on copper/bronze bolts.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 02:23:00 am »

The wiki says this -
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Melt_item
if you intend on melting objects until you're reliably getting masterworks.

I got lucky with my fortress, my first mood hit the weaponsmith who, with a cold forge and no fuel, made a lead battleaxe, instant legend.
Of course, training up two other weaponsmiths was no real drama on the embark with 160,000 tetrahedrite and 64,000 galena, I have silver to waste, copper slowly being smelted into bismuth-bronze when I import bismuth and tin - I have only trace cassiterite about 17,000.

Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUH.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:23:51 am »

mine also receives training by making trap components
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 02:30:43 am »

Bolts. Lots and lots of bolts. It's beneficial to my marksdwarves, who burn through the things while training, and to the weaponsmith, who won't be risking losing his precious ☼iron bolts☼ after they're embedded in the flesh of a retreating enemy.

If I don't have the resources to mass produce those, I just make do with whatever level weaponsmith I have, and hope he gets a mood sometime in the near future.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:23 am »

Iron isn't exactly rare. Find a decent weaponsmith and pump out weapons and bolts.
The F**k kind of worlds are you playing on???
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:01:27 pm »

Ones with minimum mineral scarcity  :P

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:33:44 pm »

Layers with magnetite. Vein iron isn't real abundant.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »

I've found tetrahedrite nearly everywhere. Train your weaponsmiths on copper bolts/trap components/ballista heads and early-game weaponry so when you get to play with iron and steel and (spoilers) they'll be able to do wondrous things with it. Incidentally, you'll not be wanting for silver hammers.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:56:39 pm by proxn_punkd »

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »

Ones with minimum mineral scarcity  :P
I do too when I'm playing fortress defence, but I'm usually stuck with a copper military until maybe 3 years in when I can make one steel squad due to iron scarcity D:
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 01:58:14 pm »

The main thing I've learned about iron in my time within the realm of Dwarf Fortress is this:

You either have absolutely none of it whatsoever, or you have so much that you could use it to make everything in your fortress for the next couple decades. As far as I know, there is no middle ground.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »

If I'm not bringing a weapon / armoursmith along (you like steel? And you're not a lazy slug? Eat material preferences, random ubersmith immigrant!) and I don't get one by the time I want to shift metalworking into high gear, I flip through the spare dwarves and look for either a suitable preference or high agility. Once I've done that I'll either make and melt items that give a good return, or mass-produce what I need and hope there are enough high-quality items to make the reduced melting return worth it. With the way minerals are placed in .31, the latter is usually the best option.

Having dwarves get attached to their crappy gear is a mild irritation, since at that point it can be taken off them and melted. It's naming that's a real annoyance.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 02:19:10 pm »

The main thing I've learned about iron in my time within the realm of Dwarf Fortress is this:

You either have absolutely none of it whatsoever, or you have so much that you could use it to make everything in your fortress for the next couple decades. As far as I know, there is no middle ground.
This exactly matches my experiences.  Incidentally, next time I find the latter, I intend to just make absolutely everything in my fort out of it that I can.  Bring on the Steel Block Floors.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
Pages: [1] 2