Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: If You Could Choose One Thing  (Read 2740 times)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If You Could Choose One Thing
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 06:53:17 pm »

Update the UI.

1. Automatically view attributes and professions when selecting recruits to add to squads.

2. Mouse support.

3. All melt-designated objects will automatically be melted at any furnace with melting enabled as an option.

4. Beds automatically try to become rooms when placed.

Gameplay.

1. Dwarves occasionally commit vandalism when stressed, making their grievances against the player known in crudely scrawled hateful messages and images on the floors and walls. This is a masterfully scrawled image of genitals by Urist McFisherdwarf in his own blood. Urist McFisherdwarf is protesting the lack of fisheries.

2. Goblins also draw graffiti. This is a crudely scrawled image of goblins and generic pet name by Olngo Incestrot in cat blood. In it, generic pet name is surrounded by the goblins. This image relates to the glorious goblin victory over generic pet name in year.

3. Stark raving mad dwarves become madder, sometimes quietly becoming quite content serial killers instead of randomly wandering. Serial killers will be similar to vampires and gremlins combined into one maniacally grinning nihilistic ball of lever-pulling predatory sadism.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 10:09:19 pm »

I'd add complexity to the diety system. Right now its rather boring and ordinary; and seems likely to be so even when fully fleshed out. Either you have standard pantheon gods (to worship, impress, or oppose), or demons pretending to be gods (to slay), or natural forces (to do elfy things with). All is well and good and makes for fun adventures, I -suppose-.

But I like sophistication. Lovecraftian horror. The inevitability of the -true- gods, the gods before the age of myth, waking up and rising from the sea/stars to come and end the world, devouring the souls and brains and sanity of all dwarf-kind.

Actually, nevermind, I guess we have that already, when some idiot player unlocks the HFS and then lets time go forward after we get to that point in the game.

So I guess I'd just skip ahead to that.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 11:04:14 am »

I'd add complexity to the diety system. Right now its rather boring and ordinary; and seems likely to be so even when fully fleshed out. Either you have standard pantheon gods (to worship, impress, or oppose), or demons pretending to be gods (to slay), or natural forces (to do elfy things with). All is well and good and makes for fun adventures, I -suppose-.

But I like sophistication. Lovecraftian horror. The inevitability of the -true- gods, the gods before the age of myth, waking up and rising from the sea/stars to come and end the world, devouring the souls and brains and sanity of all dwarf-kind.

Actually, nevermind, I guess we have that already, when some idiot player unlocks the HFS and then lets time go forward after we get to that point in the game.

So I guess I'd just skip ahead to that.

Imagine once we have improved sieges and wars ON TOP OF worldgen continuing after play. Crack open HFS in your impenetrable fortress and you've already given the strongest beings imaginable the strongest staging point imaginable for an assault on all living things in the world. You'd have battles with the entire animal people kingdom banding together and being wiped out in a glorious last stand, zombie apocalypse type holdouts in the new cities, and maybe, just maybe, someone will cast the ring into the fire and save us all. But in all seriousness, once worldgen continues after the fort there needs to be a combined effort by the world to try to plug the fortress, preferably with dynamite. Now THAT battle report I'd love to see in legends. The last stand of the mortal races against the horrors of the deep.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:29 pm »

I would change Dwarf Fortress to go beyond medieval technology. I can just imagine it:
Urist McBrowning has created a masterwork machine gun!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 03:22:03 pm »

I would change Dwarf Fortress to go beyond medieval technology. I can just imagine it:

No. Just no. That is all.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 04:54:11 pm »

No. Just no. That is all.

Really? You don't want lazer-toasted kittens?

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »

I could change ANY one thing? Cool.

I'd pick making underwater civs playable. Water-heavy world + Sea Monster civs = win.
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »

I could change ANY one thing? Cool.

I'd pick making underwater civs playable. Water-heavy world + Sea Monster civs = win.

Give dwarves [NO_BREATHE]?  They still won't be able to build underwater, but it's a start.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »

Magical change, you say?  I would say giving DF real-world level graphics, but... that would actually be really awesome.  Why wouldn't I say that?  In fact, make it 100% immersive!  I want to be Manba Spokenward the Geared Noose of Lashes, dammit!

Strangely I wouldn't.  I actually would be against any (mandatory) graphical change that goes beyond ASCII.  One of the huge strengths of ASCII art in games is that by virtue of its extremely minimalist style you have to fill in the blanks with your own imagination.  I can let my mind create what my fortress looks like, what an individual dwarf looks like, what weapons look like, what an epic battle looks like, etc, using the help of the descriptive tools that already exist.  I can fill in the blanks with my mind and see the haggard dwarf pulling a bucket of water out of a well with one hand cause his other was torn off during an epic battle with a goblin, his chipped bronze war hammer slung over his shoulder and his tattered armor hanging in pieces on his body.  Even if we had graphics that were indistinguishable from reality, literally as perfect as they could possibly get, I would lose this.  The dwarf would no longer look like I envision him, it would look like whatever the graphical coding said he looks like. 

If I could magically change/add things to dwarf fortress it would probably be the removal of FPS issues (multi-core, whatever) and/or the addition of features that allow sieging enemies to break down/dig through walls.  I would love to have a full on battle with the enemy where I could use everything I had to defend and they used everything they had to attack.. But right now that cannot be done.. Or rather it can be but I have an almost certain victory if I do so because of how overpowered walls are, I can just turtle up and pepper the enemy with bolts. 

Another thing I'd love to change would be better working siege-style weapons like catapults, ballista, maybe even cannons*.  It would be awesome to have some more massive battles in this way.  In fact a simple way to help it work better now would be to be able to assign dwarves military style to the machines.  The main flaw is that when the enemy nears they run away, which makes sense, but often results in them not firing the weapons.

*I know, no 'gunpoweder', but while I wouldn't want to see firearms in DF, I do like the idea of high explosives in the form of cannonfire or even in traps.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:25:24 pm by Mickey Blue »

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:15 pm »

I would choose more complex interactions with the Mountainhomes.

For instance, the liaison shows up and tells you that the King has commissioned an expedition to kill some bandits, and that you must provide a squad of five dorfs as your levy. The skill of the dorfs and the quality of their equipment dictates whether or not they return.

Or perhaps the Mountainhomes have been hit by a famine, and you must provide 100 units of food or be swamped by a wave of low morale peasant immigrants later that season.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

Tie the world map in with the fortress some more. It's always a bit saddening to pick out an interesting location on the world map to build a fort, then never see it again. Ideally, the ability to build on multiple sites without abandoning any. Build a watchtower to guard the road out of the fort, or maybe a quarry for stone somewhere... something like that. Capture the feel of my fort being part of an entire world, rather than just some buildings on a 5x5 localmap.

Fortunately, much of this will happen... eventually!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 08:23:27 pm »

I can't decide between better Linux support or better sorted-lists

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 09:09:50 pm »

I can't really say anything I'd want changed because most of the things I want are long term goals for DF.. Like a complex magic system that used runes, reagents and other esoteric means to do awesome stuff. I still hope one day I'll be able to start an adventurer in DF, raise a fortune, buy me a big state in the middle of a big city, being a rich nobleman during the day and kidnapping people during the night to use in experiments in my underground laboratory of doom that I created myself under my state, merging them with giant bats to create an army of giant batmen!
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 09:13:31 pm »

One thing is changed? As if, as you had, by magic?

Okay. That we get version 1.0 now. Not just rename it, get the finished version right now.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 12:39:00 am »

Magical change, you say?  I would say giving DF real-world level graphics, but... that would actually be really awesome.  Why wouldn't I say that?  In fact, make it 100% immersive!  I want to be Manba Spokenward the Geared Noose of Lashes, dammit!

Strangely I wouldn't.  I actually would be against any (mandatory) graphical change that goes beyond ASCII.  One of the huge strengths of ASCII art in games is that by virtue of its extremely minimalist style you have to fill in the blanks with your own imagination.  I can let my mind create what my fortress looks like, what an individual dwarf looks like, what weapons look like, what an epic battle looks like, etc, using the help of the descriptive tools that already exist.  I can fill in the blanks with my mind and see the haggard dwarf pulling a bucket of water out of a well with one hand cause his other was torn off during an epic battle with a goblin, his chipped bronze war hammer slung over his shoulder and his tattered armor hanging in pieces on his body.  Even if we had graphics that were indistinguishable from reality, literally as perfect as they could possibly get, I would lose this.  The dwarf would no longer look like I envision him, it would look like whatever the graphical coding said he looks like. 

If I could magically change/add things to dwarf fortress it would probably be the removal of FPS issues (multi-core, whatever) and/or the addition of features that allow sieging enemies to break down/dig through walls.  I would love to have a full on battle with the enemy where I could use everything I had to defend and they used everything they had to attack.. But right now that cannot be done.. Or rather it can be but I have an almost certain victory if I do so because of how overpowered walls are, I can just turtle up and pepper the enemy with bolts. 

Another thing I'd love to change would be better working siege-style weapons like catapults, ballista, maybe even cannons*.  It would be awesome to have some more massive battles in this way.  In fact a simple way to help it work better now would be to be able to assign dwarves military style to the machines.  The main flaw is that when the enemy nears they run away, which makes sense, but often results in them not firing the weapons.

*I know, no 'gunpoweder', but while I wouldn't want to see firearms in DF, I do like the idea of high explosives in the form of cannonfire or even in traps.

I agree 100%. DF is missing two major things; sieges that have at least one shot at breaking down any barrier except solid natural stone and more ways for players to burn things. Both of these problems could be solved by the spiky metal balls of gunpowder from The Battle of Helm's Deep.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4