Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: If You Could Choose One Thing  (Read 2741 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
If You Could Choose One Thing
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:16:24 pm »

I was wondering, the other day, what one would change about DF, given the opportunity.
If, for some enigmatic reason, Toady One gave me the chance to alter/add any one thing about his glorious game, the likes of which would somehow magically go into effect immediately after my choice was made, what would it be?

Dwarves having the intelligence to put on clothes is an option, having my larger animals not inevitably starve to death without modding would be nice, higher FPS would be a pretty big priority...
I think the change I would most enjoy, however, would be to take Armok's place as the primary god of the entire game. Yeah, that would definitely be it.

So, now I wonder, what would you guys do, if given such a choice?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: If You Could Choose One Thing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:17:58 pm »

I've already done this, I'm the one who suggested that adventurer clothing should change the color of the @.  I can rest easy in my legacy being secured.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:21:04 pm »

I've already done this, I'm the one who suggested that adventurer clothing should change the color of the @.  I can rest easy in my legacy being secured.
*Bows down*

And assuming this is a magical change that requires no effort, as you seem to have implied, I'd hypothetically magically make DF support multiple cores.
*Hugs*

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:39:45 pm »

Exactly what I meant. An instant change, taking place immediately after being decided, accomplished by using a highly complex sequence of events so mind implodingly perplexing that even attempting to elaborate it would cause a supermassive black hole to open up in the very center of reality magic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:42:29 pm »

Self sentient AI.

Instead of fighting nobles, you fight the game. If you lose, humanity dies, and only Keanu Reaves will be able to save everyone.

Boxes of !FUN! for everyone.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:46:03 pm »

Magical change, you say?  I would say giving DF real-world level graphics, but... that would actually be really awesome.  Why wouldn't I say that?  In fact, make it 100% immersive!  I want to be Manba Spokenward the Geared Noose of Lashes, dammit!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:25:53 pm »

Magical change, you say?  I would say giving DF real-world level graphics, but... that would actually be really awesome.  Why wouldn't I say that?  In fact, make it 100% immersive!  I want to be Manba Spokenward the Geared Noose of Lashes, dammit!

Take note that this change would have to alter the laws of physics or the mechanics of human perception because of how DF handles space. In other words, I support it entirely.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 01:40:22 am »

We can make any one thing magically happen? I'd go with time travel, because that's the thing Toady doesn't think he can do.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:22:30 am »

That would be pretty awesome. I could send terminator dwarves into the past to assassinate my unreasonably demanding nobles while they were still children, thus averting the unjust future punishment of many a dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »

That would be pretty awesome. I could send terminator dwarves into the past to assassinate my unreasonably demanding nobles while they were still children, thus averting the unjust future punishment of many a dwarf.

But the noble you killed would've executed that legendary metalsmith, who grows up to be the bane of dwarfkind.

TEH BUTTAHFLAH EFFECT CONTINUES.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »

We've already talked about this. We can't in good humor support DF if it accurately depicts exactly how much a dwarven baby will splatter when dropped from a 30 story building in realistic graphics.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 06:40:39 pm »

We've already talked about this. We can't in good humor support DF if it accurately depicts exactly how much a dwarven baby will splatter when dropped from a 30 story building in realistic graphics.

Fun fact, dropping a baby 1~ level onto a large serrated disc, will trigger the trap.

Yes, yes I did.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:31:08 pm »

Yeah, something tells me Dwarf Fortress players might become a lot less...dwarfy, if the graphics were more lifelike.

Go into DF as an innocent and curious individual, looking to pass some time, come out as a broken and battle scarred dwarf, with adequate striking and PTSD, spending the the rest of your life locked away in your room, not really caring about anything anymore.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:44 pm »

Construction paint tool.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 08:15:26 pm »

Tied between a method of handling rate-of-fire and muzzle velocity for projectiles that's easily comprehensible by someone other than Toady One, or an init file that lets me configure job priority numbers.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4