Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: After almost a year, i still find things like this.  (Read 1769 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
After almost a year, i still find things like this.
« on: November 22, 2011, 09:57:32 pm »

my carpenter goes into a fey mood.
he takes a carpenter shop.
He wants wood and rock blocks.
no problem, i chop down a tree, and make a block.
urist goes and gets the log, then complains some more, but never goes for the block.
I go look at what he wants again, just to be sure, and it turns out i mis-read the first time.
he doesn't want rock blocks.
he wants rock bars.

what the fuck is a rock bar?
how do i make one?
is this a bug?
should i build a coffin for this poor bastard now?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: After almost a year, i still find things like this.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:33 pm »

he needs metal.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »

my carpenter goes into a fey mood.
he takes a carpenter shop.
He wants wood and rock blocks.
no problem, i chop down a tree, and make a block.
urist goes and gets the log, then complains some more, but never goes for the block.
I go look at what he wants again, just to be sure, and it turns out i mis-read the first time.
he doesn't want rock blocks.
he wants rock bars.

what the fuck is a rock bar?
how do i make one?
is this a bug?
should i build a coffin for this poor bastard now?

This is a bug- rock bars are actually considered metal bars(IE iron, steel).
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:11 pm »

i could swear i had a bar of iron laying around.
hmmmmmm.
spose ill go check and make sure.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »

Any metal will work, thankfully.  It gives a use for all that zinc I keep finding instead of the cassiterite I need (and have only found six of so far).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »

As a reminder, I *think* moods can take more than one of the same material... so you may want to keep at least 3 of each laying around.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »

As a reminder, I *think* moods can take more than one of the same material... so you may want to keep at least 3 of each laying around.
Yes they can.  all depends on what the RNG decides when it starts having the dwarf select his working materials.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:12 am »

Any metal will work, thankfully.

In my previous fort I had a guy who liked bismuth wait until I actually mined and smelted some bismuth ore. This was despite the number of other available metal bars being in the quadruple digits.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 03:25:16 am »

In my previous fort I had a guy who liked bismuth wait until I actually mined and smelted some bismuth ore. This was despite the number of other available metal bars being in the quadruple digits.

If the mooded dorf is one with specific material likes then it's quite possible(but not certain) that they'll demand exact materials, like steel, or maybe gold. Can't recall I've ever had random mooders start demanding exact materials, and also, specific material requests are rare.

Like I've only seen them happen with metal AND metalworkers, weaponsmiths, armorers and so on. Not that I'm saying it's impossible for other mooders to want specific metals. Luckily the really obscure stuff that's currently unavailable(chicken teeth anyone?) only matter as noble mandate items. Which is sort of bad because you can't fulfill 'em. But that's a whole other matter.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 05:46:38 am »

i killed a swamp titan, and the next person who got a strange mood took all !! 108 !! pieces of bone to decorate a door he was working on, and it didnt even have the decency of showing the defeat of the titan
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 05:51:35 am »

i killed a swamp titan, and the next person who got a strange mood took all !! 108 !! pieces of bone to decorate a door he was working on, and it didnt even have the decency of showing the defeat of the titan

Stacks are one of the things I wish were fixed.

Also, with all 108 titan bones, how heavy was it? As heavy as one bone, or as heavy as the whole stack put together?

EDIT: I don't think decorations change how heavy something is.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:54:18 am by JJtoocool »
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:53:06 am »

Protip: 108 bones = 1 bone in the whacky world of DF because they are all stacked.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 06:43:01 am »

EXCEPT when you make bone bolts out of them. Then they're processed one bone at a time.
Everywhere else though? They take the entire stack to make either a piece of bone armor, or decorate a ring to have a picture of a cloud with the skeletal remains of an entire forgotten monstrosity.
Pages: [1] 2