Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming the capital and trade agreements  (Read 1086 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Becoming the capital and trade agreements
« on: November 22, 2011, 09:50:08 pm »

I noticed that if I refuse the liason's offer to become a barony, I don't get the option to choose the items the caravan should bring.

The wiki only says that caravans stop coming when I get a monarch. So as soon as I start qualifying for becoming the capital, I basically can't get caravans?

I was hoping to import lots of platinum and aluminum...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the capital and trade agreements
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:35 pm »

I think that may only take place once you get a king/queen. I can say for a fact that becoming a barony does not prevent caravans from arriving.

Also, if I remember correctly, the wiki says it just stops the liaison from arriving, not the entire caravan. Then again, I've never had a fort become a mountainhome, so I can't say for certain.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:31 pm »

I doubt that you stop getting caravans when you become the capital (you certainly won't stop getting non-dwarf ones), and even if you do, you have to accept first before anything happens.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:49 pm »

If you turn down the offer to become a barony, the liaison leaves immediately without doing the trade screen.  He'll be back next year and make the same offer.

If you accept and become a barony, you'll start getting trade screens again normally.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:20 am »

So the best thing I can do is become a barony and cap the population until I get enough goods?

And order lots of platinum furniture and crafts I guess...

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 03:45:28 am »

You can prevent your frot from becoming capital by not giving tribute and/or not building roads.

Since you actually have to build 5000 bucks worth of roads and offer 5000 bucks worth of goods as tribute, you can continue playing without worries, you wont be becoming capital accidentally.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:37 am »

Since you actually have to build 5000 bucks worth of roads and offer 5000 bucks worth of goods as tribute
The values seem to vary between games, and it's quite easy to accidentally reach the road value in advance since bridges can also count under certain circumstances. Fortunately, the "offerings" check only starts counting after you become eligible to get the King, so any goods you offered to the Dwarven caravan earlier on won't count.

Additionally, "Becoming the Capital" won't actually show up until your population reaches 140 (and your fortress becomes a "Metropolis"), so if you cap your population then you should be perfectly safe.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 03:02:15 am »

Great, I have trade agreements again :)

Though it turned out that the only meltable platinum/aluminum items that I can order are flasks. They never bring platinum toys or instruments for some reason.