Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't wear cloaks  (Read 2560 times)

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't wear cloaks
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »

I want my military dwarves to wear leather cloaks, so they won't get shafted in the arms or neck by training spears in the danger room.  However, they consistently refuse to do so, and I'm wondering why that is the case.

Each of my military dwarves has been assigned a uniform that includes a "leather cloak" entry.  There are dozens of freshly made leather cloaks sitting in bins in my leather goods stockpile.  There are no burrows in effect, and no other restrictions preventing the dwarves from reaching that stockpile, since I have seen them walking there to deposit their leather civilian clothes (e.g. shoes) when switching out their gear.  The uniform they're wearing is set to "replace clothing", so there aren't any existing layers preventing them from putting on a cloak.  They are grabbing and equipping every single item in their uniform list, except for the cloak.

Why are they refusing to put on cloaks?  Thanks for your time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't wear cloaks
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:47:28 pm »

What else are they wearing? Backpacks and quivers take up an upper body slot, and if you're using multiple mail shirts and the like you can run into trouble. Alternatively, the leather cloaks may have been claimed by other dwarves. Were they a part of the uniform before they were made?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »

1. None of my military dwarves are wearing anything in their upper body slots except a breastplate, a backpack, and in the case of marksdwarves a quiver.  And I'm not even trying to get my marksdwarves into the danger room.  In particular, none of my dwarves are wearing any mail shirts, since I haven't made or purchased any yet.

2. Like I said, there are dozens of leather cloaks sitting in bins in the leather goods stockpile.  They've been sitting there for a long time, ever since they were first made by the leatherworker.  None of them have the "TSK" flag when examined.  I haven't looked through the owned items inventory of every dwarf in the fortress yet, but is it even possible for a dwarf to claim ownership of an item in a stockpile bin and then just leave it there?  I suppose it's possible that every single leather cloak has been claimed in this manner, but it doesn't make sense to me.

3. I don't remember if I added the leather cloak to the uniforms before or after the cloaks were made.  I think it was before, but I'm not sure.  I guess it would make sense to queue up a few more leather cloak jobs and then see if any military dwarves go to put the new ones on.  Thanks for the idea.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:22:26 pm »

Have you tried assigning specific cloaks? I interpret your OP to indicate a general uniform entry for any available leather cloak.

Also, are there ex-invader cloaks laying about the map and inaccessible? Perhaps they want one of those *troll fur cloaks*?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:42:50 am »

The issue is resolved.  I had manually modified most of my military dwarves using the "V" option ("View/Customize") in the equip interface.  I did this before adding "leather cloak" to each of my uniforms.  I did not realize that this would in fact remove the uniform designation from each such modified dwarf.

As soon as I reassigned the uniform to each dwarf, they started wandering off to equip the cloaks.

Thank you very much to Sutremaine and Aachen for taking time to consider my problem.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:34 am »

is it even possible for a dwarf to claim ownership of an item in a stockpile bin and then just leave it there?
If they're out of room or don't have any rooms to themselves, then yes. Military dwarves who have to take off clothing to put on armour are also not particularly quick about moving it out of the way, but it's not a recurring problem.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.