Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: cougar question  (Read 3564 times)

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cougar question
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:51 am »

You only need a dungeon master to TAME exotic animals not train them. So if you get the occasional Tame giant eagle with elf caravans, you DO NOT need a dungeon master to train it into a war giant eagle.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 09:07:27 am »

Whats the deal with grammar round here not all of us have natural flare with writing and struggle to put our words to text.

Well, this forum prides itself over its residents smarter than average (because, you know, text mode game and stuff...). Anyone breaking this illusion by spelleng bedly is going to be hated. Also, writing badly on puporse is ancient troll tactic that rarely fails.

---

Anyhow, as usuall, it is effort that counts. And respect. If you honestly care about your post being read (and understodd, taken into consideration and replied to), you should make them pleasant to read and not distract readers or even force them to decipher text.

This is whole point of typography, by the way. Making stuff nice to read.

For some people this is harder, but frankly, they should also be considerate to OCD people (who will suffer from reading malformed sentences and words they can not fix) and AD people (who will have much harder time focusing on text and content if they are distracted by mistypes). Dyslexia is not the only bad stuff here...
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 03:43:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't take satire seriously.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:21 pm »

Whats the deal with grammar round here not all of us have natural flare with writing and struggle to put our words to text.

Well, this forum prides itself over its residents smarter than average (because, you know, text mode game and stuff...). Anyone breaking this illusion by spelleng bedly is going to be hated. Also, writing badly on puporse is ancient troll tactic that rarely fails.

---

Anyhow, as usuall, it is effort that counts. And respect. If you honestly care about your post being read (and understodd, taken into consideration and replied to), you should make them pleasant to read and not distract readers or even force them to decipher text.

This is whole point of typography, by the way. Making stuff nice to read.

For some people this is harder, but frankly, they should also be considerate to OCD people (who will suffer from reading malformed sentences and words they can not fix) and AD people (who will have much harder time focusing on text and content if they are distracted by mistypes). Dyslexia is not the only bad stuff here...

righting ability does not always come from a high IQ. I have dislexia and many great men through out history have had this disability claiming that your self and others are greater than me due to the lack of dislexia is not only ignorant but also sad. I thought that by now people would know better than to insult another person due to there disability. my life is hard enough knowing that i will never have all the opertunities of others just cuz i got screwed by disiblilty. i never asked for this and don't you or any other big headed perfect spelling self righteous mother fucking brick of pure shit EVER MAKE FUN OF MY DISABILITY YOU SICK SAD IGNORANT BASTERD
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 10:22:33 pm »

Whoa! Dude take a chill pill and calm down just a little. We haven't been making fun of your disability in the slightest. (Heck, several people in my family have dyslexia.) We were simply point in out that by taking an extra 20 seconds before you post to run what you are saying through a spell/grammar checker then the majority of your typing errors would disappear. We are trying to help you see a way to overcome your disability, not to make fun of it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:24:59 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 10:33:27 pm »

Whoa! Dude take a chill pill and calm down just a little. We haven't been making fun of your disability in the slightest. (Heck, several people in my family have dyslexia.) We were simply point in out that by taking an extra 20 seconds before you post to run what you are saying through a spell/grammar checker then the majority of your typing errors would disappear. We are trying to help you see a way to overcome your disability, not to make fun of it.

yes but he implied that i was a lesser person due to my disability
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 11:06:31 pm »

I don't see where you got that idea from, as I read over his post several times, and all it seemed like he was saying was to ensure you put effort into your writing, and to consider that other people may have a hard time reading things that are misspelled.

Although, to be honest, even if he did somehow imply that, it's no reason to immediately go to being so angry, especially on the internet. If we forsake the shining light of understanding, the clouds of intolerance are free to roll in, and then we all get caught in a shitstorm without an umbrella.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:08:11 pm by King DZA »

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 11:16:56 pm »

I don't see any hate towards you or your disability at all, mate.  This forum also tends to be real friendly and non-hating towards anyone and everyone, even people like me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: They are just trying to be helpful, and I have to admit the way you phrased your sentences was funny. In the good way!
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 10:23:27 am »

I've gotten lucky with bears this way in the past.

*Stupid laughter*
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:31:34 am by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 10:36:35 am »

Although, to be honest, even if he did somehow imply that, it's no reason to immediately go to being so angry, especially on the internet. If we forsake the shining light of understanding, the clouds of intolerance are free to roll in, and then we all get caught in a shitstorm without an umbrella.

I have yet to hear such a fascinating description of the grammar pride we have on the Internet
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »

lol

Dyslexia is no excuse for confusing 'their' and 'there'.

I kid, I kid.

I'm curious about that 'accidental' fall off the bridge. Shoddy construction? Wind? Horse knocked the elf off (now wouldn't that be ironic)?

A tangential question about those cougars... If they are released and can wander freely through the fort or in their meatshield-designated area, will they cause job cancellation spam? I'm curious because I have a giant tiger that I'm somewhat reluctant to free.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 01:17:31 pm »

lol

Dyslexia is no excuse for confusing 'their' and 'there'.

I kid, I kid.

I'm curious about that 'accidental' fall off the bridge. Shoddy construction? Wind? Horse knocked the elf off (now wouldn't that be ironic)?

A tangential question about those cougars... If they are released and can wander freely through the fort or in their meatshield-designated area, will they cause job cancellation spam? I'm curious because I have a giant tiger that I'm somewhat reluctant to free.

Wild animals will cause all dwarves that have line of sight to the animals to cancel whatever job they're doing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 02:44:03 pm »

If still wild, that is...  The tamed ones don't cause any such problems.

And I've just realised that I've probably been keeping various carnivores/exotics in my current fort who are probably not going to be that good at breeding, without modding.  Or even having previously modded them, which I haven't. (And while the female vulture laid some eggs, it's a lottery as to whether they would have hatched, but as I forgot to prevent the collection and cooking of her eggs (by enclosure or configuration), and there's no male vulture (yet...  year six of fort with a good trading relationship with the elves) I don't think I'll get another chance.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »

I've gotten lucky with bears this way in the past.

*Stupid laughter*

I thought about changing the wording of that before I posted it, then decided I might as well roll with it and laugh if anybody comments on it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]