Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: cougar question  (Read 3576 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
cougar question
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »

i have two cougars 1 male 1 female that i got from some elfs who accidently fell 100ft of a draw bridge. will there children be nice kind war animals
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: cougar question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »

Creatures born on to your map are automatically friendly and non-violent. I don't know if they'll be tamed, but they certainly won't be war animals from birth.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:47:39 pm »

Creatures born on to your map are automatically friendly and non-violent. I don't know if they'll be tamed, but they certainly won't be war animals from birth.

ya but they will make short work of a damn kolbold thief

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:50 pm »

I'm not sure, but I'm reasonably certain that animals born from two tame parents are automatically tame, and therefore ready to be trained to war animals straight away.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:57:36 pm »

im hopeing the damn tree humping green backed Elfs bring me some elephants and some more cougars. turns out they were both female
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:55:52 pm by jaxler »

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »

Regular Cougars, not Giant ones? It'd scare off a Kobold, maybe paw at one, but I don't think it'd be able to kill the guy barring a luckyish shot. Master Theives would slice its throat on sight.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:22:45 pm »

Not to be offensive or anything, jaxler. As I have no idea whether or not English is your mother language. But your posts made me picture you as some overly racist hillbilly dwarf, sitting outside a fortress entrance in a stone rocking chair, and rambling to himself, which gave me quite a satisfying laugh. So thank you for that.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:57:25 pm »

Not to be offensive or anything, jaxler. As I have no idea whether or not English is your mother language. But your posts made me picture you as some overly racist hillbilly dwarf, sitting outside a fortress entrance in a stone rocking chair, and rambling to himself, which gave me quite a satisfying laugh. So thank you for that.

dude. i have dislexia. FUCK OFF

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:06:48 pm »

Easy there, buddy. It wasn't exactly how it was spelled(although that did help slightly), as much as it was all the trash talking about other races that gave me the entertaining mental image.

Now let's try not to get too pissy, as I don't have the time to be in a flame war right now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:13:40 pm by King DZA »

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:47 pm »

Easy there, buddy. It wasn't exactly how it was spelled(although that did help slightly), as much as it was all the trash talking about other races that gave me the entertaining mental image.

Now let's try not to get too pissy, as I don't have the time to be in a flame war right now.

when people insult my spelling it's something i take personally. and i though every one hated elfs i mean 1 persons name is elfsmasher123

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:31:12 pm »

Grammar is SERIOUS BUSINESS on the Internet.

Also, I believe that cougars may be [pet_exotic], which means they may be untrainable/tameable by your dwarves. Can you train the adult cougars into war animals?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:06 pm »

when people insult my spelling it's something i take personally. and i though every one hated elfs i mean 1 persons name is elfsmasher123

It was by no means meant to be insulting. I simply thought it was funny, and felt inclined to share it.

And yeah, elf hatred is a common theme here, but there are plenty of people(me included) who really don't give a damn about slaughtering them. In the end, they are just as much under my rule as all of the other races are, after all.

Also, yes, animals bought from elves are already tame, and thus, trainable.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:16:43 pm by King DZA »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 09:23:25 pm »

Hurt to put capital I's in I? Or use spellcheck? It's the effort that counts, instead of arguing with everyone ;P
(I hope this doesn't come out as sounding harsh)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yeah, wild animals will breed, though cougars won't be able to hold their own against a lot. Go for Giant Leopards and Badgers, those are more !FUN! :D
And Elf hatred isn't a unanimous thing, a lot of people hate them, but a lot like me don't hate them more than anything else - Just their annoying tendancy to flee with that trade good you want that usually ends up with them being turned into furniture.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 10:24:00 pm »

So a when an older lady likes a younger guy then... oh, you mean the animal type of cougar?

Anyways, cougars are [PET_EXOTIC] so unless you have modded them they won't even breed IIRC (I seem to have had wolves before that I bought that refused to breed with [PET_EXOTIC]). As for training they are unable to be, so once again unless you have modded them they won't be that useful in combat. You could certainly breed like 200 (assume you made them breed able) and then release them from a single cage on top of your enemies as a "cougar bomb".

Also not to be harsh, but running your stuff through a spellchecker would take like an additional 10 seconds and would catch some 80% of your errors right there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 10:27:16 pm »

So a when an older lady likes a younger guy then... oh, you mean the animal type of cougar?

Anyways, cougars are [PET_EXOTIC] so unless you have modded them they won't even breed IIRC (I seem to have had wolves before that I bought that refused to breed with [PET_EXOTIC]). As for training they are unable to be, so once again unless you have modded them they won't be that useful in combat. You could certainly breed like 200 (assume you made them breed able) and then release them from a single cage on top of your enemies as a "cougar bomb".

Also not to be harsh, but running your stuff through a spellchecker would take like an additional 10 seconds and would catch some 80% of your errors right there.

as i stated i killed some elfs and raided them.

also i use enternet exsplorer

Pages: [1] 2 3