Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Food Chutes  (Read 1487 times)

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
Food Chutes
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:58:23 pm »

soo, Weather wires has inspired me to make a vertical caste themed fortress, with each trade faction occupying a different level. E.G. farming level on the top which drops food down to the lower levels (read glass and metal production). do object scatter / take damage when dropped 170+ Z levels. Also does anyone know how fast an object falls. If not some !!Science!! might be in order.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:09:57 pm by Jiokuy »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Chutes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:14:47 pm »

No damage, no scatter (if the chute is 1x1, otherwise minimal scatter), falls nearly instantly (depends on FPS).
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:59 pm »

And it will not injury a dwarf (or other being) that happens to be in the destination tile when it lands.  Various players have tested this, myself included, using rocks tossed off a 5 z-level drop.  It was how I found that dump zones next to a cliff don't have stuff placed in them because the dwarves stand in that zone and pitch stuff over the edge.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:23:32 pm »

If you're not already, stick a 1x1 stockpile at the bottom of the chute so that food doesn't rot if it isn't unforbidden fast enough.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »

If you're not already, stick a 1x1 stockpile at the bottom of the chute so that food doesn't rot if it isn't unforbidden fast enough.

And thus my life got several fractions easier!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »

All objects fall at 1 Z-level per six ticks of the game clock.  That's slightly faster than most creatures walk, so a dwarf running down stairs might just barely be able to outrun a falling object.  Physics in DF is wacky.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:53 am »

All objects fall at 1 Z-level per six ticks of the game clock.  That's slightly faster than most creatures walk, so a dwarf running down stairs might just barely be able to outrun a falling object.  Physics in DF is wacky.

And then creatures take damage as though they accelerated due to gravity.  Wacky doesn't even begin to cover it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:22 am »

And then creatures take damage as though they accelerated due to gravity.  Wacky doesn't even begin to cover it.
This makes me wonder if there is a terminal velocity for falling dwarves.  If only I had time for the requisite !!science!! ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »

This makes me wonder if there is a terminal velocity for falling dwarves.  If only I had time for the requisite !!science!! ...

I think there's a fall constant rate, actually - when I chuck livestock off of a volcano they don't seem to accelerate.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:51:19 pm »

Creatures take damage as if they were accelerating making longer falls more harmful but velocity itself is constant, making terminal definition unnecessary. They do have !terminal! height though, it's somewhere around 20 z-levels and creature that falls down from that gains quantum properties, that is creature now can be found in several different tiles  ;D
They also have !!terminal!! height, that's one by falling from which creature accumulates enough energy to trigger heat reaction and burst into flames. Any height fall can be considered such as long as there's tile with magma in the end.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:38 pm »

When I drop a few dwarves 53 z-levels onto a few tame badgers, they kind of explode. The badgers, however, are unhurt.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »

When I drop a few dwarves 53 z-levels onto a few tame badgers, they kind of explode. The badgers, however, are unhurt.
Are you sure they landed on the badgers? Every time I've had one creature land on another, both were just stunned. But I admit I've never tried it from 53 z-levels. Never more than about 20 or so. And I'm not certain I've had one land on another from 20, so I'd say that 10 is the highest I can be sure of.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »

Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:59:55 pm »

Are you sure they landed on the badgers? Every time I've had one creature land on another, both were just stunned. But I admit I've never tried it from 53 z-levels. Never more than about 20 or so. And I'm not certain I've had one land on another from 20, so I'd say that 10 is the highest I can be sure of.

Yes, I'm pretty sure. I repeated the test a few times, and not even once did any survive. You should test it too; perhaps my results were contaminated.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 10:00:10 am »

try it with wild giant badgers
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).
Pages: [1] 2