Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Humble Bundles  (Read 5869 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Bundles
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2011, 09:28:12 am »

Uplink still has one major flaw IF what I heard is correct

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where the heck did you hear that? That's 100% BS. Yes there will always be some risk, but if you get caught it's explicitly your own fault.

The Letsplay of it. That even if you do a billion different uplinks and delete all the logs, and have the best programming. There is still a chance you will just get unlucky and be caught anyway.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2011, 09:30:06 am »

Which letsplay of it? Theres at least two.
Either way though, I haven't ever seen myself get caught for no reason in Uplink, and most of the time I only erase the InterNIC log.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2011, 09:30:59 am »

I have only ever gotten caught if someone reaches me while I am connected. Never ran into any problems after clearing logs.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:28 am »

Either way though, I haven't ever seen myself get caught for no reason in Uplink, and most of the time I only erase the InterNIC log.

The one that rewrites the plot and makes it similar to that old Dos game that Uplink seems inspired by.

Besides auto getting caught makes sense if a server makes backups and it happened to make one just before you deleted it.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2011, 09:37:58 am »

The one that rewrites the plot and makes it similar to that old Dos game that Uplink seems inspired by.

Besides auto getting caught makes sense if a server makes backups and it happened to make one just before you deleted it.
Link us to the video(s) you're talking about please.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2011, 09:39:23 am »

Uplink still has one major flaw IF what I heard is correct

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From experience, I've never been caught except the times I forgot to clean my logs. And of course if I allowed my trace to reach zero.
Log tracing apparently only occurs once a bad deed is done (after it makes the news), but I'm not sure.

Except InterNIC explicitly doesn't, I think. And all you need is to break one link in the chain and there's no way to trace it to you. Unless you use one of the cheap deleters.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:42:21 am by Sergius »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2011, 09:40:50 am »

http://lparchive.org/Uplink/

That is where I got it from. The Letsplay is pretty good given the dry material.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2011, 09:43:32 am »

It is good, but I don't remember that line in it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2011, 09:46:09 am »

InterNIC doesn't make backups though. However you may end up with very little time to erase the InterNIC logs if the trace got too close to you before you dissconnected, sometimes as little as 30 seconds depending on who you hacked.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:18 am »

Don't forget you when you delete logs you leave new logs of your new access. Which can also be traced (if more slowly and with lower chances).

I think the only way to be certain you can't be traced is to clean a system then kill it afterwards. But don't quote me on that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2011, 09:54:51 am »

Simple solution to that, Shades: clear all the logs while you're in InterNIC (preferably with Log Deleter 3 or 4) except for a log of you accessing the place. You came, you left. Nothing to see here, move along.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2011, 09:58:00 am »

As long as your log on/log off in the log file of InterNIC matches for your cleaning session and you've taken care so that the logs can't be undeleted then you are safe. Most common error when cleaning logs is removing your log on for the cleaning session.

Cleaning and killing a system works well of course, but it may take more time than you have if you are slow about it.

Edit: also to speed up your clean up, before performing a big hack clear the InterNIC log of all but your current log on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:59:42 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2011, 10:18:22 am »

I used to think that deleting the last login (leaving an unmatched logout) log would somehow screw me, but the last few runs I had thru the game I started doing that anyway and nothing bad happened.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2011, 10:36:38 am »

I already have all these.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2011, 10:45:14 am »

Simple solution to that, Shades: clear all the logs while you're in InterNIC (preferably with Log Deleter 3 or 4) except for a log of you accessing the place. You came, you left. Nothing to see here, move along.

And then it's obvious who cleaned the connection log as only one user was likely there just after your connection time.

I tend to clean multiple consecutive hops which is very hard to trace. I don't know how good the AI time matching stuff is though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6