Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma bucket brigade?  (Read 1331 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma bucket brigade?
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:16:18 pm »

Is it possible to make a bucket brigade for magma movage with nethercap buckets? Cause pumpstack sounds hard to do.I would need a magma forge to construct a pump stack practicaly.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Magma bucket brigade?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:24:01 pm »

There's no way to order dwarves to collect magma in buckets, nor any way to tell them to fill a pond zone with magma.  So no, you can't bring magma to the surface in buckets.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »

Try digging a vertical pit that you can dump your ore down to the level of the magma forges instead. Either that or move your fort deeper and fill the upper levels with traps. As it stands magma cannot be moved in buckets since I suppose carrying magma in a metal bucket would be rather painful; nethercap would be less so though holding the handle a few inches from the magma would probably be pretty ‼Fun‼ as well. Regardless you can't set magma as a water source which, IIRC is the only place a bucket brigade will pull water from.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »

Hmm this reply might need to be in modding discusion but could I mod a haul magma action,possibly replaceing water hauling?
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

I'm fairly certain there's no way to mod that.  At best you might be able to make a reaction that creates globs of magma, which would be useless for powering magma forges.  Actual flowing liquids (magma or water) are hard-coded and can't be created in workshop reactions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:10 pm »

Well were can I find a list of magma safe matierials,also what is a pump in game giant corkscrew?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »

Alright thanks evrybody for the learning.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 03:51:41 pm »

Couldn't you create a rock that melted at room temperature?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 03:53:50 pm »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

Couldn't you create a rock that melted at room temperature?

Yes, and you'd get a glob of molten rock on the floor.

Magma, in DF, is not actually molten rock.  Magma is a mystical fluid from deep in the ground that somehow is always hot enough that most rocks melt in it.  But when you melt rocks, you don't get magma, you get molten rock.  Magma can only be created from the map edges, or spawned in magma pipes.