Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Real-Life Cotton Candy  (Read 10390 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real-Life Cotton Candy
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2011, 01:47:35 pm »

Quote from: Loud Whispers
1 kilograms of rocks = 1 kilograms of feathers

Same mass, not same weight.

I'm just popping in to say this is such a huge falcity. Weight is not the net downward force. Ofcourse the net downward force is a lot less due to aereal resistance and whatnot, given that the feathers would be falling down.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2011, 02:15:29 pm »

The force is the same, resistance is seperate. Weight isn't NET force, it is force APPLIED BY GRAVITY.

..."apparent weight" would be that though...

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »

F=ma. 1kg = 1kg. 9.8m/s^2 = 9.8m/s^2. F = F. Done.

Well with those two cents in I'll add something my chemistry professor does research on and you all have probably already seen after last year's nobel prizes. I'm talking about Graphene. I'm a bit rusty on the details, but it's supposed to be many, many times more conductive than silicon and have quite a few anomalous properties that seem kind of strange when considering that it's just a single layer of graphite.

As long as we're building a super spaceship with spidersilk and nickel phosphorous lattice, it may as well have graphene circutry so we can play a 16x16 500 dorf embark at 100 fps IN SPAAAAAACE. (Disclaimer: I have no damn clue about computing, bio/psych major)
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »

1 kilograms of rocks = 1 kilograms of feathers

Same mass, not same weight.

I'm just popping in to say this is such a huge falcity. Weight is not the net downward force. Ofcourse the net downward force is a lot less due to aereal resistance and whatnot, given that the feathers would be falling down.

Look, let me clear this. (Again).
1kg of rocks = 1kg of feathers. It's simple. It even used to be in bloody IQ tests ffs.

That is not a fallacy, that is an equation. Both are equal values. Both have the same mass. If you're using weight as the measurement value, you can assume that both are not falling BECAUSE YOU WOULD BE MEASURING THEM. Why not measure them in a vacuum too.
Weight is the value of force we give to the force exerted by gravity. The force exerted by gravity would be constant, regardless with or without air resistance, although the speed it would be falling would. BUT OF COURSE THIS IS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT FALLING.

To reiterate:
1) Weight = Force exerted by gravity;
2) Grams is the force used to measure mass;
3) Both have the same total mass, and the same total weight, the only difference is the density of both objects, and the feathers would take up more space.

TA DA!

Also, DAMN, looked it up and nickel-phosphorous (on the rockwell scale) has an RC of 54, and to put this in perspective, high carbon steel has one of 55-66, so this thing is nearly as hard as the strongest steel available to mankind O_O
Also, ninja D:<
[And Graphene has many, many unusual qualities... Best leave it alone or give it its own thread.]

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2011, 03:18:24 pm »

[And Graphene has many, many unusual qualities... Best leave it alone or give it its own thread.]
But... but... the 500 dorfs. The horizontal fortress that takes 3 months to cross... the possibilities!

Also,
nickel-phosphorous (on the rockwell scale) has an RC of 54, and to put this in perspective, high carbon steel has one of 55-66, so this thing is nearly as hard as the strongest steel available to mankind O_O
Jesus christ that's strong. I know that a certain material I just mentioned is estimated to take half a century to be put into commercial use, has anyone found a timeline for how long it'll take for them to implement this stuff? And when they do will we have bullet proof cars? It seems to have all the properties needed to stop a bullet (to someone who knows nothing about the properties required to stop a bullet), and it'll be much easier than stuffing phone books in the door whenever I plan on driving through a bad neighborhood...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2011, 03:22:29 pm »

I don't know about you, but I'm more worried about whether or not they're going to make this into a nutritious cereal. :D

Get your Nickel-Flakes today!
[90% chance of being lethal]

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2011, 03:57:13 pm »

As long as they don't have any of that high fructose corn syrup! Bastards trying to make america fat... *sarcasm*

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2011, 04:04:47 pm »

F=ma. 1kg = 1kg. 9.8m/s^2 = 9.8m/s^2. F = F. Done.

Well with those two cents in I'll add something my chemistry professor does research on and you all have probably already seen after last year's nobel prizes. I'm talking about Graphene. I'm a bit rusty on the details, but it's supposed to be many, many times more conductive than silicon and have quite a few anomalous properties that seem kind of strange when considering that it's just a single layer of graphite.

As long as we're building a super spaceship with spidersilk and nickel phosphorous lattice, it may as well have graphene circutry so we can play a 16x16 500 dorf embark at 100 fps IN SPAAAAAACE. (Disclaimer: I have no damn clue about computing, bio/psych major)

Chemist here, and graphene is damned beautifull. Conductive yes (we get it from graphite, so it has to) but also extremely resistant and not all that heavy. Mostly dud to being a (almost) 2D crystal, wich is impossible, but would allow some ridiculously good properties

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2011, 04:07:05 pm »

Yeah, LEAD-bullet-proof cars are doable with exotic materials like these, but what happens when you make a better bullet with them? Already a lot of bullets have steel slivers in them, and if a government REALLY wanted to get nasty, DU is always there...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2011, 04:09:23 pm »

Yeah, LEAD-bullet-proof cars are doable with exotic materials like these, but what happens when you make a better bullet with them? Already a lot of bullets have steel slivers in them, and if a government REALLY wanted to get nasty, DU is always there...

If someone is firing DU rounds at you in a minigun, you must have made some big people very angry, so why the hell would you be driving a normal car? XD

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2011, 08:02:24 pm »

I'm not a materials scientist, so I truly don't know the answer. But is the nickel-phosphorous component of this material actually all that revolutionry? It seems from the article to be more about the lattice-like structure of it than the materials used. A basic "H" beam in a building, when set up with other beams in a lattice, provides far greater strength than it's bare weight would suggest. I see buildings every day and never think "Oh my god, how did they do that?". It's steel, shaped for a good cross-section for weight/strength, fastened in a type of lattice arrangement. I don't think of that either when I look at a building being constructed, but that's what it is.

I tend to think the amazing thing about the material is the ability to find a commercially viable way of making a nickel-phosporous lattice. Is it done by electric charge? Crystal style growth? Innate properties of the substance?

I'll look into it from that end. Forming nickel tubes that are then easy to make a lattice from is pretty cool. Especially if the techniques can be used on other materials with some modification.

Airy-high-tensile-steel-lattices that can be constructed on a reasonable scale would be great. Not for the steel. We have that. For the tubes and the lattices and geometric strength/weight forms you can make from these techniques.

I wonder how they did make the tubes and join them at micro/nano scale?
It's a game. Have fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:42 pm »

Well people have known about the tube allotrope for a while (Carbon tubes ftw), and nickel phosphorous has been an unsung hero of plating for a while too, just being able to manipulate individual atoms should get your human ego growing... But not for you? D:<

Well anyways, if you're interested in conductivity and what-not, diamond-boron semi-conducters (whoah lots of hyphens) are the thing for you, and yeah, these obscure metallurgical and allotropical advancements are AWESHUM
[Btw, a triangular prism beats your H shape any day]

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2011, 11:02:05 pm »

The H beam was just an example.

Does anyone know what technique the used to bond or fuse the tubes together? Or even make such small scale tubes in the first place?

I guess it's time to go reading some research papers as long as it's not commercial-in-confidence type work. Yayy to learning things I have no real idea about.

Metal plated carbon-nanotubes that can then be arranged as you wanted would be a major leap forward in many fields. Making them in commercial quantities really could change the world. Oh well, time to get reading I guess.

Ps: I manipulate individual atoms all the time. Just not on purpose. My human ego is fine with that :)
It's a game. Have fun.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2011, 11:50:48 pm »

They already make and use various different carbon fiber composites. Including carbon composited with more carbon (not as redundant as it sounds).
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/strong-materials.html (Link doesn't compare the materials to eachother, but has a nice general description of the various materials.)

And that is why I would chose carbon for an elemental power.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2011, 02:11:21 am »

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/strong-materials.html

>:(
Diamond the strongest stuff? I'm quite certain fullerenes have been made to be stronger.
Heck, either way carbon wins the day.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9