Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room Design  (Read 1200 times)

jakr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Room Design
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:28:10 am »

I am a beginner.  In many video tutorials, I see very intricate room designs.  Why not make one giant room that contains farming, brewing, cooking, carpentry, furnace, forge, etc and the stockpiles for each.  I am talking about like 60x60 room.  This is easier for me, especially soil is being dug so there are no stones to dump.  What are your thoughts?

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Re: Room Design
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:37:03 am »

It's a very undwarflike idea.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:37:59 am »

This will work perfectly fine in game, but there are a few caveats:

First off, most people like for their forts to look nice.  Separate rooms helps that.

Secondly, it's easier for most people to remember exactly what is what and where it is if they're in sectioned off rooms of the fort.

Lastly, this affects the value of some rooms and that can be important.  Especially for things like your dining hall.  Allow me to explain: rooms that you designate from a piece of furniture have a value associated with the "room" that they're in.  This room is just the area that you designate from that piece of furniture.

Say you're building a dining hall.  When you set a table to be a dining room and specify the area around the table, that area is the dining hall.  The bigger it is, the more valuable it is.  Smoothing stone and engraving it makes it more valuable, and having more furniture in the area makes it more valuable.  Having a valuable dining hall is a powerful way to keep dwarves happy.  The same principles apply to the dwarves' bedrooms, and a few other things like offices.

The reason you wouldn't want to have such rooms randomly scattered throughout a 60x60 area is two-fold: you'll probably forget where they start and stop, and when you have rooms overlapping their value goes down (by how much, I have no idea).  When you put a designated room in a physical room with walls, you can easily keep this from happening.

Overall though, it's certainly possible to run a fort with a couple of huge communal areas with everything scattered around in it.  It's just less efficient.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:46:23 am »

You're thinking in 2 dimensions.
The best reason to create rooms is so they can be arranged vertically, so that source materials have shorter trips to get to destination workshops.
It takes a dwarf just as long to cross a 5 tile room as to climb 5 z-levels of stairs.

My own design is typically simple, with 5x5 workshop rooms, stair in front of the door, 5 z-levels of 5x5 rooms, with the workshop and entrance in the middle.
Some industries get a little more involved (e.g. wood burner -> ashery -> glass furnace).

Also, having rooms lets you manage pathing better.  Having high-traffic corridors and work areas with only one entrance/exit can help FPS.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »

One last thing that people don't note for workshops is that by placing them in various rooms this allows you to lock down any specific room at will. This is very helpful if you have a moody dwarf who goes insane, as you can simply lock the doors until they starve to death instead of risking your dwarves' lives at the hands of a very angry berserk mason/speardwarf.

Also I totally agree with the vertical designation style. I tend to have a level of workshops with two levels of stockpiles, (one below and one above) and stairways on the outer edges of each workshop. When a dwarf needs materials they simply take two steps over to the stairs, and then a few steps back to whatever they wanted on the stockpile. This then results in a massive amount of increase in productivity.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:45 pm »

I have to admit, most of my fortresses end up with crafting areas that are just one huge room.  Bedrooms and dining rooms and anything else that needs to get designated as a room are made as neatly intricate little rooms, but the main crafting rooms are just big open areas.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »

any crafts unlikely to attract crazy dwarfs are i one big room: kitchen, tanner, butcher, loom, farmers workshop etc. The others are in areas i can lock down in case of berserk. Even the bigger areas with multiple functions are not too big, it makes it so hard to find the exact one you were looking for
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 02:29:58 pm »

If you have a large open area where dwarves are often passing through it is particularly beneficial to create high traffic areas. High traffic areas (d-o) are paths that your dwarves will prefer to take, over normal traffic tiles. These are useful to keep FPS down when there are multiple paths between two points, like in an open room. In such cases the pathing algorithm can potentially flip flop between trying alternatives, thereby taking more time. The high traffic areas prevent this, by making those tiles preferred.

So you should set up high traffic corridors through the middle of large rooms.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 03:21:40 pm »

There are also some places you want to have walls and doors around for miasma control. Any refuse stockpiles should be enclosed. Butcher's shops and kitchens can also end up producing miasma if you fill up the stockpiles their output would go into (or your haulers are too busy). Food in a stockpile won't rot, but food in a workshop will, producing obnoxious clouds of miasma. Having walls and doors around those shops will keep the miasma from spreading.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

SannaSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 03:58:38 pm »

gasp. i did not think of having more than one stairwell in my fort. especially the part about storerooms /below/ their associated workshop room. this is brilliant!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:18:47 pm by SannaSK »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:33 pm »

It's a very undwarflike idea.
i think i can beat it :D my "initial" bedroom and dining room looks like this (initial is quated 'cause sometimes my dwarfs needs to endure them for like 10 years):

z+1
+++++
+++++
+
++
++
++
++
++
z-0
bbbbb
bbbbb
O
tc
tc
tc
tc
tc

with: +:floor ; ►:ramp ; O:wall ; t:table ; c:chair ; b:bed and limegreen: is for positioning tha same axis
and to be even worse all of it is made from wood :P
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 06:56:17 pm »

I am a beginner.  In many video tutorials, I see very intricate room designs.  Why not make one giant room that contains farming, brewing, cooking, carpentry, furnace, forge, etc and the stockpiles for each.  I am talking about like 60x60 room.  This is easier for me, especially soil is being dug so there are no stones to dump.  What are your thoughts?
I think that, since you are a beginner, you should absolutely put everything in one big room made of dirt if you feel like it.

There are benefits and drawbacks to this approach, but the best way to find out which approach suits you best is to try a few.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »

Agreed! The best way to find out whether the drawbacks/benefits of any particular design is to try out the various designs and see what you like. I mean sure we can all give you our two bits, but it is still you who is going to have to make the final decision on the matter after all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.