Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Changing the View In Fortress Mode  (Read 3958 times)

slyeye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing the View In Fortress Mode
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:16:17 am »

A great addition to fortress mode would be to change the viewing angle. Currently the game is restricted to a view with South at the bottom of the screen and North at the top, but with the ability to change the camera angle one would be able to have East on the bottom and West on the top or vice versa. I for one know that my selection of fortress locations tends to be determined by the placement of terrain, a wall of mountain on the top of the screen for example, and if I were able to change my view the pool of locations would be broadened considerably. Furthermore, to avoid disorientation, perhaps a small compass rose could be added to the mini-map window. I'm not sure how feasible this would be to implement, but the concept itself seems rather simple and would be very useful.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the View In Fortress Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:42 pm »

I think this would be a nice addition to our GUI if there was such a thing as depth in the graphics. For the reason you propose I really don't see the point in spending valuable dev time on it. Why do you specifically want the rock face to be north. Doesn't it have the same affect if the rockface is facing east?
I know it looks different but it's not a gameplay issue, right?
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

slyeye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:37:49 pm »

I'm not proposing the idea for a change in game play, the reasons are purely aesthetic. Many people like to arrange their fortress in a specific way simply for how it looks and this tool would allow them to use more embark locations. I'm really not sure how much dev time this would entail, but I was listening to Dwarf Fortress Talk 16 and Toady mentioned that there was already some code for changing perspective that was created for a different reason so perhaps that could be re-purposed. I am willing to admit, however, that I may have wildly misunderstood what Toady was referring to when that was mentioned.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:39:52 pm by slyeye »

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:19:55 pm »

I have a thing for making my forts have a grand "southern" entrance. This makes some embarks not work for me due to river placement. If I could rotate my view so that I could avoid the river while still "facing" down, I'd like it.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:36:05 pm »

Not dwarfy. I would rather prefer to rotate the world.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »

I don't really see how this would be useful, but that's just me.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:24:29 pm »

Not very useful gameplay wise, but definitely something I'd probably use often for construction, or nice change of perspective. If it's something Toady threw into one of the releases, I certainly wouldn't mind it. I do love my aesthetics, after all.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 06:39:37 am »

I really like it. I dont think it would too much work to put this in either. This would give some variation to especially old boring forts

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:54:05 pm »

I would definitely appreciate such a feature.  I do the "entrance must face south" thing, too, and I already have way too many exacting specifications on my embark sites.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 02:07:37 pm »

From my point of view, the whole View on the Fortress needs a rewrite. I for myself would like to have a surface view (view from top to all z-levels viewable from the sky/for example for military interactions in mountainous areas) and for building large structures a view from the x and the y axis (from the side and not from top)
But I guess thats one of the things that belong for Toady in the Interface category, where making it more complex leads to more things to think of in the further development process.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 02:55:41 pm »

I don't see why we need this, so unless it's easy, I don't think Toady should waste his time on it until he has time to waste.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »

For some reason, I believe it'll be easier to code, you'd just need to wait till it rewrites map when you change direction.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 03:38:52 am »

For some reason, I believe it'll be easier to code, you'd just need to wait till it rewrites map when you change direction.

Probably doable, too. DFHack?
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 04:17:21 am »

Some food for thought: What if it was possible to rotate the display smoothly in any direction? I have no idea whether or not it would be easy to code with the graphics system the way it is now; it probably wouldn't be easy at all. It's certainly not terribly important, but it would be a very shiny feature, even in DF's full ASCII glory.

To help imagine what that would be like, think of a card with a symbol on it. That card would be a single tile on the map. If you keep that card facing towards you and move it around, it would continue to display the contents of that square regardless of the position it's in. A screen full of map squares would be a table of cards which you could turn and move around not only in the X-Y plane, but also into Z, to make the display of that single slice of the world look more like a landscape. Thus the ASCII map could be rendered in either an orthographic or a perspective projection at any angle desired.

Having this extra method of manipulating the map would make visualizing what your fortress looks like a more vivid experience, I'd say. I'd still prefer Toady works on what he wants instead of adding silly interface ideas, but it's interesting to think about.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 11:46:57 am »

Some food for thought: What if it was possible to rotate the display smoothly in any direction? I have no idea whether or not it would be easy to code with the graphics system the way it is now; it probably wouldn't be easy at all. It's certainly not terribly important, but it would be a very shiny feature, even in DF's full ASCII glory.

To help imagine what that would be like, think of a card with a symbol on it. That card would be a single tile on the map. If you keep that card facing towards you and move it around, it would continue to display the contents of that square regardless of the position it's in. A screen full of map squares would be a table of cards which you could turn and move around not only in the X-Y plane, but also into Z, to make the display of that single slice of the world look more like a landscape. Thus the ASCII map could be rendered in either an orthographic or a perspective projection at any angle desired.

Having this extra method of manipulating the map would make visualizing what your fortress looks like a more vivid experience, I'd say. I'd still prefer Toady works on what he wants instead of adding silly interface ideas, but it's interesting to think about.

I would very much like to see this implemented one day. It would make observing things like battles and megaprojects far more fascinating.
Pages: [1] 2