Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does soap get used up?  (Read 2473 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Does soap get used up?
« on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:02 am »

See subject. 

I keep making it, but in my inventory screens I always seem to have a random amount.  There's nothing on the wiki about it getting used up.  In the meanwhile, there's all this forgotten beast tallow to use...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Does soap get used up?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:04:47 am »

It does get consumed over time, as dwarves use it to clean themselves and doctors use it to clean wounds.  I've had fortresses where I failed to keep an eye on the quantity of soap, ran out, and started losing dwarves to infected wounds.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:05:57 am »

Dwarves use some of a soap bar when washing, not all of it. I think it's 1/10th a bar every time, but not sure the exact use quantity.

You will run out of soap eventually, but 10 bars will last you approximately 100 uses.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:04:11 pm »

I've had fortresses where I failed to keep an eye on the quantity of soap, ran out, and started losing dwarves to infected wounds.
So, infected dwarves who clean themselves with free soap (as opposed to the reserved stuff in the hospital) have a chance of getting their infections removed? I thought that soap only prevented infection, not treated it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:39:36 pm »

In older forts, I use soap up about as fast as I can make it (one ashery, one soap maker's workshop). They take soapy baths which gives them happy thoughts.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »

yeah, there's a steady stream of dorfs headed to the well with bars of soap, so, since it appeared to be disappearing, I assumed it was getting used up.  I'll have to make sure I keep production up to keep them all happy.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:02:38 pm »

yeah, there's a steady stream of dorfs headed to the well with bars of soap, so, since it appeared to be disappearing, I assumed it was getting used up.  I'll have to make sure I keep production up to keep them all happy.

Build some walls of the bars, good reserve plan, if you need soap, just deconstruct :P

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:56:36 pm »

I've had to do this when I get soap done before a hospital. But usually I use workshops, since they're much quicker to pull down again.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:13:51 pm »

I've had fortresses where I failed to keep an eye on the quantity of soap, ran out, and started losing dwarves to infected wounds.
So, infected dwarves who clean themselves with free soap (as opposed to the reserved stuff in the hospital) have a chance of getting their infections removed? I thought that soap only prevented infection, not treated it.

In one of the Toady talks, he mentions that the dwarves have a hidden dirtiness value that affects the chance of infection. Exposure to water or washing lowers this value, whereas washing with soap lowers it even more. Over time, the dwarves will return to their normal dirtiness.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:21:18 am »

I've added the information from this thread into the df wiki page on soap.  Some good stuff here.  Thanks!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:41 pm »

In one of the Toady talks, he mentions that the dwarves have a hidden dirtiness value that affects the chance of infection.
Thanks for clearing that one up.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 03:09:27 pm »

Build some walls of the bars, good reserve plan, if you need soap, just deconstruct :P

Why don`t you just forbid some soap? My Reindeer soap is just for the injured. Let the healthy ones use that dirty donkey soap.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:56 pm »

I've had to do this when I get soap done before a hospital. But usually I use workshops, since they're much quicker to pull down again.
I can see it now, rows of soap maker's workshops made of soap! :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:45:07 pm »

I can see it now, rows of soap maker's workshops made of soap! :P
The circle of life.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »

In one of the Toady talks, he mentions that the dwarves have a hidden dirtiness value that affects the chance of infection.
Thanks for clearing that one up.

For a moment there, i thought you had said "Thanks for cleaning that one up."
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2