Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Killed Ghost: Bug or a Feature?  (Read 3353 times)

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killed Ghost: Bug or a Feature?
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:00:11 am »

My ghost got killed by one of my dwarves. Is it an accident?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:35:15 am by maksymka »

Captain Mayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killed Ghost: Bug or a Feature?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:20:34 am »

Are you sure it wasn't just another dwarf trying to prank him with a scary mask? Dwarves overreacting isn't something new.

Seriously though, never heard of it. Killing a ghost. Deathception?

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:23 am »

How can I upload an image? I have a proof. He is listed in the "Kills list". Also I saw battle report. I should call my dwarf Aragorn or something.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:32:30 am »

upload it in http://tinypic.com/ and link it there in an [img] tag

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:40:18 am »

Nice work on that!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 06:47:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:53:33 am »

Check the combat logs. Is it possible he was bleeding when he died of other causes? I remember some research about ghosts maturing and dying of old age, so maybe he had a lethal injury, died of something else and the injury wasn't cleaned up when he was spookified. Or are ghosts made of some kind of gas, which would make them easy to kill if a dwarf somehow got the idea into their head?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:08:05 am by Nidokoenig »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:10 am »

If I remember correctly, in the succession game Targetguild my dwarf actually managed to kill a ghost. I think it happens when a ghost attacks someone, and that someone counter-attacks. I might be wrong, however.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:53:24 am »

I do not really remember how was the battle report. But I do remember that it was a lucky hit. Also the weapon had the ghost's kill, as far I remember.
In addition, the ghost could not die of infection, because:
1) He is in kill-list.
2) He died because of being retarded, walking on ice in mid-spring.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 08:21:25 am »

Would have been Fun if that had sparked a loyalty cascade :D

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:38:42 am »

I suspect that this is due to the bug where a change in a creature's status gets retroactively applied to all historical references to that dwarf, and where kill credit is given to the last creature who injured the target no matter the actual cause of death.  So at some point your dwarf injured this dwarf.  Later the injured dwarf died, which caused the killer to get credit.  Then the dead dwarf became a ghost, and all historical references to him (including the other dwarf's kill list) now refer to him as a ghost, even if he wasn't at the time of death.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 09:32:15 am »

Then it does not explain the battle report where they were fighting.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 10:58:34 am »

Could the dwarf that did the kill have been tantruming?  IIRC there was an earlier report that since tantruming dwarves have the ability to attack random things that dwarves normally can't attack, that they could end up randomly attacking ghosts as a side effect. 

It's also possible that other conditions can trigger this... any signs of a loyalty cascade?  What sort of ghost was it?  Who struck first may be an important question.  It may be that in certain circumstances a (solid) dwarf is allowed to counter-attack when attacked by a ghost. 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:42:32 am »

Could the dwarf that did the kill have been tantruming?  IIRC there was an earlier report that since tantruming dwarves have the ability to attack random things that dwarves normally can't attack, that they could end up randomly attacking ghosts as a side effect. 

It's also possible that other conditions can trigger this... any signs of a loyalty cascade?  What sort of ghost was it?  Who struck first may be an important question.  It may be that in certain circumstances a (solid) dwarf is allowed to counter-attack when attacked by a ghost. 

I'm betting on a counter-attack. If I remember correctly, back when ghosts were introduced someone made a fort dedicated to studying them. I belive a ghost was killed by accident there.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 12:37:03 pm »

I remember someone posted about a dwarf who had a fell mood and then killed a ghost.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.
Pages: [1] 2 3