Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Honoring My Fortress Military  (Read 1313 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Honoring My Fortress Military
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:41:03 pm »

I want to honor the more accomplished members of my dwarven military with things like individual tombs and more wealth (better bedroom? more expensive furniture?) than the general civilian population, but I want to do it without completely freaking out the nobles.  Does anyone have suggestions for how best to do this?

Just smaller tombs?
Making the nobles even more wealthy than usual?
Editing the raws?
Unfortunate Accidents?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Honoring My Fortress Military
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:43:36 am »

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

i find that giving my nobles a gift of an armed goblin manservant (conveniently placed in their quarters) stops them complaining. the servant also makes sure their needs are met, so you wont have to worry about mandates or demands either!

Though, to be serious, just give them either really fancy things, make the scale of wealth go Noble > Military > civilian, or just laugh at the nobles and give the military nice stuff anyway. solid gold tombs are a must for my favorite soldiers

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:04:40 am »

One way would be to build a really fancy tomb, but when designating it as such only highlighting the tile with the coffin. This way the tomb will probably only be a 'grave' (depends on the quality of the coffin).

edit: hmm...  on second thoughts, you may want to include a couple of extra tiles for storage of owned items.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:07:53 am by rhesusmacabre »

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:23:36 am »

I want to honor the more accomplished members of my dwarven military with things like individual tombs and more wealth (better bedroom? more expensive furniture?) than the general civilian population, but I want to do it without completely freaking out the nobles.  Does anyone have suggestions for how best to do this?

Just smaller tombs?
Making the nobles even more wealthy than usual?
Editing the raws?
Unfortunate Accidents?
You could get a hold of some precious metals and make masterwork trap components(I like the Large, Serrated Discs) out of them, then put them into weapon traps in the nobles' rooms.  Levers can also be placed in their rooms and then attached to, say, cages.  Pull the lever, the cage opens and disassembles, but the mechanism stays on the lever forever, adding to the room value.  And this can be stacked as much as you want.  Either or both of these would make the room value skyrocket while allowing you to make it not look very nice.  That way the nice looking rooms for your military can be the nicest looking, coolest rooms in the fort, and the nobles won't get jealous because their room technically cost more.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:27:15 am »

I've to check if it possible, but this thread gives me the idea of honoring them upon entering active service with a slab.

honoring purposes only, honest!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:38 am »

One way would be to build a really fancy tomb, but when designating it as such only highlighting the tile with the coffin. This way the tomb will probably only be a 'grave' (depends on the quality of the coffin).

edit: hmm...  on second thoughts, you may want to include a couple of extra tiles for storage of owned items.

I've had personal experience with this recently, so let me add my 2 cents:

If you want your soldiers to have nice tombs, that's okay.  Just make sure you designate the tombs before they die, else you won't get the chance.  Maybe you can before they're buried, but I'm not sure.

Be careful about the quality of the tomb.  I had a soldier buried in what must have been a legendary quality coffin once, because my countess began to promptly freak out about it once he got stuffed in there.  Just a coffin, not even a single engraved tile next to it.  Even though she had a much nicer (and higher value) tomb, she was continuously traumatized by it, and eventually started tantruming over it.  I thought it was funny, so I left her to her misery.  Until she killed someone with her pick, then I atom smashed her.

I tried experimenting with bedrooms to see how that worked, and she didn't seem to mind so much about the bedrooms.  I gave my two top soldiers bedrooms even better than hers, and she was merely "put off" by it.

In fact, this turned out to be a way to mitigate her being traumatized by the tomb.  It at least appears that nobles can only be upset about one person's bedroom, tomb, dining hall, office or whatnot at once.  She was never put off about the bedroom and traumatized by the tomb at the same time.  If you want to give your soldiers nice tombs, this might be a way around it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:22 am »

One thing I like to do is fill the tomb of an accomplished soldier with a memorial slab dedicated to each of his notable kills.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:56:51 am by jjcarver »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:00 am »

I've never understood making great tombs for dwarves. But then, I don't understand it in RL either. I guess I'm just too utilitarian. I figure once he's dead, I don't need to worry about making him happy (assuming I've done enough to prevent a ghost, of course). It's when he's alive that I want to make sure that legendary axedwarf is happy, happy, happy! He is the last dwarf I want going into a tantrum and dismembering my other dwarves. So I'm more inclined to give my military nice bedrooms, rather than fancy tombs.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:33:33 pm »

Well dwarves will get good thoughts from having tombs IIRC, so even if you don't care about your dwarves not having a tomb, I'm pretty certain that they care about it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »

Well dwarves will get good thoughts from having tombs IIRC, so even if you don't care about your dwarves not having a tomb, I'm pretty certain that they care about it.

I was under the impression that only nobles cared about this, and I thought then they only cared if it wasn't good enough.  I'll be finding out shortly as I prepare tombs for my first squad of meat shields.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 09:13:22 pm »

I was under the impression that only nobles cared about this, and I thought then they only cared if it wasn't good enough.  I'll be finding out shortly as I prepare tombs for my first squad of meat shields.
When you do be sure to enlighten us on the matter. If they do show up it is only at the start of each year though, with the "pleased to have a tomb after another year" thought.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 02:30:29 am »

When you do be sure to enlighten us on the matter. If they do show up it is only at the start of each year though, with the "pleased to have a tomb after another year" thought.

My testing seems to confirm that regular dwarves don't care if they have tombs or not.  Two of my soldiers had tombs at the start of the year, and despite careful monitoring I never saw any good or bad thoughts related to it.  Guess it is nobles only.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 07:32:24 am »

I'd rather my dwarves be happy about having an EMPTY tomb after another year, but that's just me.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 08:24:46 am »

I'd rather my dwarves be happy about having an EMPTY tomb after another year, but that's just me.

They tend to get a very very bad thought if their tomb is filled.

Urist McDead has been miserable lately. He admired own masterwork door recently. He enjoyed starting a fist-fight recently. He has been struck down recently.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:27:30 am by JJtoocool »
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.