Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: kobolds  (Read 5082 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: kobolds
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 01:13:42 pm »

Depends on the size of both respective packs.

Also, Hyenas eat the bones of their quarries for nutrition. Kobold bonecarns anyone?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 05:54:14 pm »

given there size and low tech level, i can see them driveing off larger prediters to take there kill.
some times hunting small game , i.e. rats,dogs,fish, birds anything thay can take with not to much of a fight.
i just have this image of kobolds liveing like scavener-gatherers.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46:26 pm »

That is the way I remember Dragon Mountain, Dungeon and Dragons, portraying them.

Here's the problem: This isn't Dragon Mountain or D&D.
I dunno.  Be kinda cool if it was.  That was a really good module. 

I imagine some folks see them as little hooded jawas, with ray guns.  Ooohtiny!  *Zap*
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »

Hey, some hyenas are more successful predators than lions. In those areas, the roles are reversed.

So, you could do it so kobolds steal everything, but suffer hunger less than others do? So maybe it takes longer for a kobold to starve to death, or something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »

Hey, some hyenas are more successful predators than lions. In those areas, the roles are reversed.

So, you could do it so kobolds steal everything, but suffer hunger less than others do? So maybe it takes longer for a kobold to starve to death, or something.

Hey, there are more Hyenas than lions. I consider that a win ^-^

Kobolds > Animalmen

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 07:48:51 pm »

In response to my quote:

A. I've already gone over Kobolds being carnivores...
B. Farms cover animal husbandry.
C. Giant Badgers, Giants, Giant Scorpions, Lions, Giant Lions, Jaguars, Dwarves, Giant Jaguars, Land Sharks, Zombies, other Kobolds, Gremlins, Trolls, Wolves, Dire Wolves, rogue cats, Humans, the odd psycho Elf, a sock, a bronze colossus, everything called Steve, Goblins, the Thing, anything that can hold a weapon, anything that can kill without a weapon, Dragons...
A. Hm. Forgot about that.
B. Hm. Forgot about that.
C. Kobolds ain't crystal glassmen. Sure, the bigger animals you mentioned would kill an armed kobold, and "anything that can hold a oweapon" probably could due to their greater size, but if cro-magnon and the like could kill mammoths with wood, bone, and stone tools, then kobolds should be able to at least escape most normal animals, and, due to their metal daggers, kill a fair fraction of them.

Here's the problem: That's not one.
(Not a problem, that is.)
Hungry heads were probably inspired by vargoiles (horrible mispelling). Voracious cave crawlers were probably inspired by carrion crawlers. D&D is iconic fantasy; DF tries to create something like iconic fantasy. It fits together that way.
Dunno about Dragon Age, though.

All I'm saying is that something being the case in D&D (or any other work) does not mean it's necessarily so in DF. At all. Something being true in D&D isn't an argument for what is (or should be) true in DF whatsoever.
Nor is that a reason for an argument against any idea. Granted, if it's the only reason, go ahead, but it isn't. Attack the idea, not the inspiration.

Among mammals, kleptoparasitism is considered a trait of hyenas and jackals, who steal from other carnivores' kills. But that doesn't mean that these species cannot hunt themselves, if the opportunity presents itself.

People don't seem to be aware that Lions steal more kills from Hyenas than the other way around. Now you do!
Too much science gets in the way of some people understanding.

I don't think kobolds should starve to death slower...well, except for what their lower size implies. Their ability to survive famine relies on that, when their herds die, the wild animals leave, and the bigger races guard their food too much, they are able and willing to eat anything edible: Rats, bugs, corpses, even leaves and dirt and such (humans have eaten twigs and leather in sufficiently dire situations, starving kobolds should be able to eat leaves and grass and leather and stuff in similar situations). In short, while kobolds are more susceptible to famine, they can live through it better.
I would also like to propose removing kobolds' carnivorism, possibly by separating [CARNIVORE] and [BONECARN].
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 11:10:35 am »

Kobold cannibalism?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 05:22:26 pm »

Eating of the already-dead? Certainly. Many RL human cultures had no taboos against eating thise who died of natural causes, war, etc, they just didn't approve of killing them to eat. Many cultures believed that eating your deceased relatives was a method of respect and/or that eating your dead enemies would give you their strength. They're certainly less wasteful.
Killing the living for food? Only in emergency situations, and this should be for all races. In those circumstances: Hell yes!
Cults that involve sacrifice and eating sentient beings? Hm, interesting...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 05:57:33 pm »

Eating of the already-dead? Certainly. Many RL human cultures had no taboos against eating thise who died of natural causes, war, etc, they just didn't approve of killing them to eat. Many cultures believed that eating your deceased relatives was a method of respect and/or that eating your dead enemies would give you their strength. They're certainly less wasteful.
Killing the living for food? Only in emergency situations, and this should be for all races. In those circumstances: Hell yes!
Cults that involve sacrifice and eating sentient beings? Hm, interesting...

Fun fact, it's legal in the UK to eat someone as long as they died from natural causes, and it is deemed to have been necessary.
You don't look so well, perhaps you would like to have a seat in my oven...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 07:35:56 pm »

I couldn't find an online version of that module, Dragon Mountain.  But the detail the writers went into for kobolds was DEEP.  Breathtakingly deep.  They really fleshed what they thought a kobold was or wasn't, and its behavior out.  Here is all I got back from the 1993 module, when I googled, maybe you can find more.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/view-printable.phtml?reviewNumber=9589

I in no way want DF to be AD&D.  Lordy Lordy, no.  But why waste time, hashing over something small, hehe, that was already fleshed out; elsewhere.  No I'm not saying copy it word for word.  But the portrayal of kobolds in that module really felt koboldy, to me.  Anyway. 

They weren't pests like fly's the adventurer had to swat away with his sword, by the dozens.  Well not unless they were unclanned, or from a weak caste.  There was a whole army breakdown of them in there if I remember, and some were quite sinister, especially that ones that were rolled up, with loot stolen straight from the red dragons hoard. 

Like some lil fella being drug around by a cursed kitchen fork.  Trying to give it to an adventurer, instead of fight. 

"HELP! Me you must!  Take this bundle of cooking supplies, PLEASE!"

All in order to setup the party to enter a room and eat poisoned food, or whatever, kobolds in my view are highly social.  Of course I wouldn't want to neglect the stray loner, outcaste, if one happened to appear.  But I would think their very size would make them clannish, more so than anything else. 

Survival of the Fittest.  Little fellas can not scavenge food without stealth.  After the first two died to something larger, their bravery would have to flicker, falter and fail.  And stealth comes at a steep steep price in games usually because of its omnipotency.  Just look at the ONE rings power.  Vanish.   

Why didn't the other magic rings crafted in Mt Doom, provide vanish, you know the the lesser rings, that were gonna be bound in the darkness?  Ever wonder they too didn't have the ability to vanish its wielder when put on?  I did.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]