Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Murdering children in videogames, and other ways Dwarf Fortress has corrupted me  (Read 7394 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

By the way, I don't remember children on Oblivion being of any use.
In Skyrim, I got a quest from a kid, which makes things a bit different. And by the way (minor spoiler):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, a kid can (apparently) kill someone, give you a quest to hunt someone, but himself cannot die?

I also remember in Fallout 3, some kind of cave in which kids had took over the place and kicked out / killed any adults that tried to go inside.
I don't remember if they wield weapons when you manage to get in, but they had weapons around the cave.. kinda funny you can't kill them?
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find it funny how the killing of children in a videogame horrifies people so much, but the usual crazyness of the real world (wars, hunger, etc) isnt enought for anyone to move a finger.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

My only problem with this is the fact that in DF, your better off killing off a kid and waiting for migrants atleast till dwarves stop living 200+ years...
I turned births on my fortresses off - not because I'm squeamish about them dying - but to save myself the trouble of killing them off myself; and a similar fate awaits any child immigrating into one of my fortresses. And I don't bother going out of the way to make their deaths any less painful, they just die in whatever manner I find convenient. Useless little puke bags.

I find it funny how the killing of children in a videogame horrifies people so much, but the usual crazyness of the real world (wars, hunger, etc) isnt enought for anyone to move a finger.
Priorities. We have them.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There wasn't any children in Oblivion and I'm glad. Nobody needs invincible children running around.

Also, here is a quote from M'aiq the Liar:

Quote from: Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages
"M'aiq believes the children are our future. But he doesn't want them ruining all of our fun."

A reference to discussion on the forums during development about whether children should be included in Oblivion. One group wanted children to be in to add realism; the other group argued that if children were added then the player would be allowed to kill them and the game would be denounced as a child murder simulator. A counter to this would be to make the children invincible, but the opposition countered this saying that doing that would ruin any initial realism.

And seriously, was childhood ever innocent? A 10 years old asked me if I got any cigarettes this summer. I also got some news from articles:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you are like 50 years old you may believe children are innocent. It's 2011 dude! Children become adults faster than you might even imagine. I actually consider age 15 mature enough. Hell, I started drinking beer when I was 15. You should hear what kind of swear words children are using right now. At least in my country, you can simply expand your vocabulary of swearwords by visiting a grade school.

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you are like 50 years old you may believe children are innocent. It's 2011 dude! Children become adults faster than you might even imagine. I actually consider age 15 mature enough. Hell, I started drinking beer when I was 15. You should hear what kind of swear words children are using right now. At least in my country, you can simply expand your vocabulary of swearwords by visiting a grade school.

I droped acid at 14, my little brother gave it to me. Who gives a fuck.

You can go to war at 16, but can't but a drink. When reality is this mad, killing kids in a game ain't an issue either way, no matter wherther it's ASCI or rendered polygons.

I'd be fine with the kids of skyrim if they didn't say "I'm not scared of you" To the Listerner, Archmage and Head of the thieves guild all rolled into one.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile

You can go to war at 16, but can't but a drink...
Thats what I don't get you can go to war for your country kills dozens of people and get screwed up for the rest of your life. But you can't drink a beer? What the hell is Wrong with people.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sometimes find violence in video games offensive. Not so in Dwarf Fortress, as it is treated with some degree of realism and gravitas (if we get macabre amusement out of that, it's not the game's fault).

Killing innocent bystanders should have an impact, child or adult. I have a bigger problem with dodging the gritty parts. You're wading through hundreds of faceless voiceless mooks without a thought, but are supposed to care about a few arbitrary ones who get a few lines of dialogue. Intelligent species may be painted as only fit for killing. This gets creepy when they're dehuman(oid)ised with unrealistic exaggerations to make players comfortable: they'd die out if they were truly that cartoonishly evil, so we're buying into genocidal propaganda.
Of course many CHARACTERS may have more robust morals than a modern tofu eater, but going out of one's way to simplify morality in the SETTING usually has unfortunate implications.

I'm fine with idealistic, realistic or outright cynical media. But one thing bothers me very much: glossing over things that may upset our delicate audience while entertaining it with exploitative grit where cool. It's a sign of no artistic integrity and, sadly, the norm. This is the true outrage with modern entertainment and only a few annoying, arrogant elitists seem to care.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:18:31 pm by Alastar »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

There wasn't any children in Oblivion and I'm glad. Nobody needs invincible children running around.

So I managed to confuse Oblivion with Fallout 3 or something. Still, I see no use for them if they are invincible, it breaks immersion a lot.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile

I kill children all the time and I find it Fun to put a double-barrel shotgun in their faces and unload both shells at once. Game-wise, that is.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:35:06 pm by Hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^ That's nice kid.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I managed to confuse Oblivion with Fallout 3 or something. Still, I see no use for them if they are invincible, it breaks immersion a lot.
Exactly. If you are going to add children to the game at least make them killable. If you are going to make them invincible just don't include children.

In my country's war of independence (By the way, I'm talking about Turkey) women and children didn't just carry our ammo. They learnt how to fight and joined the army. A group of 120 children (aged 7 to 12) died because of freezing while transporting ammo and food. A 14 years old sneaked in to a building which was taken by a French battlion and burned the whole building using a can of gasoil. Children in Africa are dying because of starvation. When the real world is this crazy, I don't care about some children dying in a computer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:31:37 am by Leatra »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]