Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: broker shouldn't be a noble  (Read 3646 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: broker shouldn't be a noble
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:02 pm »

now i'm ok with broker being a noble not cuz of the traiding but cuz he take stock and puts a vlaue on stuff, he's the one who gives you those little nummbers when you check you your food stores
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 09:50:35 pm »

now i'm ok with broker being a noble not cuz of the traiding but cuz he take stock and puts a vlaue on stuff, he's the one who gives you those little nummbers when you check you your food stores

That's the bookkeeper.

The trader will put a value to any given item, if he's got appraisal skill.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 10:03:01 pm »

it's not terribly uncommon, For me at least, to give both positions to the same individual.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 11:17:22 pm »

ya but in my game total wealth is determined by broker
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 07:46:42 am »

I like trading as it currently is. trading depot and all that make it feel special

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:05 am »

I wouldn´t mind the option to define trade goods and required items, then just let the game deal with it. There could be some kind of T for Trade designation in the stocks screen, to make it easy to sell loot and produce. I often trade away 3-4 times the value of the goods I buy, and often have simple requisitions. If all I want is to take that mountain of cave spider silk loincloths, and trade for metal and wood, then I´m fine with letting the game deal with it.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:32 pm »

Relevant: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20287.0
There are others, undoubtedly. Also in the eternal suggestions list as "Persistent trade good tags".
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:33:38 pm »

"what?"

They perform surgery by themselves, but can't barter by themselves.  That looks broke to me.  Of course we can drive with a flat.

The difference is, you want them to patch up wounded of their own accord. Whereas having an automated broker will, as other have said, result in bullshit situations where you lose your full suit of Candymetal armor and gain a single sock in return.

Just because one thing is one way, doesn't mean another thing has to be the same way as well.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 07:47:55 am »

I suppose one way to do it would be to keep the broker, add a "available for trade" tag to items (like dump and forbid) as well as an option to workshops to automatically apply the tag to all items made. These items would then be automatically brought to the trade depot instead of to storehouses.

Automatic sales are a trickier subject, but could be done if you could designate what you want your dwarves to buy - "get me these items; you have everything in the trade depot to give in return, but nothing else". I think something like that could work out.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 03:01:12 pm »

"what?"
They perform surgery by themselves, but can't barter by themselves.  .
Just because one thing is one way, doesn't mean another thing has to be the same way as well.

Heavens to Betsy, no!  I didn't mean anything more than comparison.  Its hard for anyone but Toady to justify a noble task as it must be in a dwarf subsection.  But I simply meant to say, that I don't respect or endorse Toady's labeling this kind of skillset, the broker, trader skillset as a noble. 

Lets talk nobility.  Noble to me, in DF represents a Hero, or a particular hand picked dwarf of particular importance with exclusive tastes and politics that meet a purpose, or is representative of the entire dwarf community.  A role model, a dwarf who possesses traits, ideally found for a noble task.  However, broker isn't a noble task, anymore than cook and hauler.  Its a necessary skill, MATH, every dwarf should possess.  Those without it, should be offered outcasthood of death, to preserve the law of the cave.

Nobility is a hybrid skillset, either verbal or physical, both, or none, above the ordinary, that combines multiple skills, and unique skills into a discplined, and somewhat hardier dwarf, for doing it.  A dwarf of stature.  Brokering is math.  There is no combined art, no hybrid mixture of skills.  Give him more than this, if he's to have noble status, lineage, a coat of arms, or demote him, to that of a simple Trader status.  Or broker, but not the Noble broker. 

I'd rather see a Beastmaster, be noble than a broker.  And give him the sole responsibility of the pound, and all trainable war animals.  That to me is more noble than someone who adds 2+2, and works on his own schedule.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 03:05:06 pm »

Nobilty != noble.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 04:31:32 pm »

of corus,e the whoel thing is missing the original point: what would you propose in lieu of "broker" being an entry on the Nobles and Leadership screen?
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 04:44:40 pm »

Nobilty != noble.

Knutor taps his Royal Assassin.  Bah-bye Noble!  Rare card in Magic the Gathering

That is true, a noble is anything a noble wants to be.  That is certainly the perspective a peasant would take isn't it, logically.  I don't feel like a peasant, but more a casual observer of consequences, when I select Nobles.  After all they don't choose themselves.  I've read some people here say they feel sort of like an matrix op, overlord, blip gardener, or spreadsheet tweaker when they play DF.  I guess they didn't have many spectator sports in the dwarf times, that Toady remembers.  Not one amusement game is simulated in DF.  Is there duel winners and losers?  I guess that'd be the closest game of chance. 

/emote pulls down the microphone and says, "Are you ready to rumble!"  Tonights Main Event.  Urist vs Zasit in two colored chat.  Almost Live!

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 05:54:15 pm »

It would be super nice if we could mark specific goods to be automatically delivered to the depot any time a caravan arrived, but that is, as someone mentioned, already in the voting list.

Is there any remaining point of contention here, other than some people having an issue, with player appointed city officials being listed under "nobles"?

Would it really be worthwhile to create a separate page that lists them as "clerks",  but is otherwise exactly the same as having all the fortress officials on the same page?
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 08:07:52 am »

What I would like is to be able to appoint several dwarves to some noble positions (trader and manager) to ensure that there is always someone able to do their tasks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3