Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pickup equipment (don't!)  (Read 571 times)

Sites

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pickup equipment (don't!)
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:09:08 pm »

Ok, this is driving me crazy. My military has developed a need to pickup equipment outside my fort during sieges.  This wouldn't be a huge problem except I have a retractable bridge that I use as a pit trap and have it retracting back and forth.  Anything on the bridge when it retracts falls about 10z levels - splat.

I'm using the Fortress Defense mod, so there is a lot of combat and tons of junk lying around.  I use Dwarf Therapist and turn off all "hauling" related jobs for the entire military, but this has not stopped some of them from wandering outside and falling off the bridge.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup equipment (don't!)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:46:11 pm »

Use burrows, forbid items outside?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:15:57 pm »

Restrict it.  d-o  Or put a gate before it, and put it on your lock up the fort switch.  *shrug*  Loose pets and traders won't avoid it tho.  Becareful, to pen them.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »

Am I missing something?

If it's your military who pick up junk from the sieges, and not just your civilians, then I think this means that some of the junk is better, or preferable to them at any rate, to what they've got equipped now.

For example, if you told them to wear breastplates but the only ones you produce are made of copper, then they will try and replace them with any iron ones your goblins might have used. I highly recommend using the standing order that goes something like "forbid other death items". This forbids anything an invader is wearing or carrying the moment they die, meaning it's you who chooses the time when it's safe to pick shit up by unforbidding it.

Sites

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:44:08 pm »

If it's your military who pick up junk from the sieges, and not just your civilians, then I think this means that some of the junk is better, or preferable to them at any rate, to what they've got equipped now.

Good call, I think this might be it.  I usually (not sure if it was every time though) had someone in my military killed outside, so it's possbile that's where they were headed.