Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The republic of Plato  (Read 2634 times)

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The republic of Plato
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:11:41 am »

Anyone read it??

I just started reading it a bit confusing at first but really really interesting, My non-stop talking Philo Professor forced us to read it. Is it true that the book can really change you're perspective on thing's. For it is not happening to me.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: The republic of Plato
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:42:27 pm »

It would be useful posted more information on tthe matter.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:07:12 pm »

I just started reading it a bit confusing at first but really really interesting, My non-stop talking Philo Professor forced us to read it. Is it true that the book can really change you're perspective on thing's. For it is not happening to me.

The most important thing to know: Plato is illustrating a "perfectly moral" society to illustrate the painful folly of trying to achieve moral perfection.  It's not supposed to be taken seriously.

It's also one of the most picture-perfect descriptions of a typical Dwarf Fortress I've ever heard, two dozen centuries in the past.  Amazing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:19:43 pm »

The most important thing to know: Plato is illustrating a "perfectly moral" society to illustrate the painful folly of trying to achieve moral perfection.  It's not supposed to be taken seriously.

I would argue that, especially for someone beginning their journey into philosophical waters, to refrain from telling someone what the author "means". I think it is open to interpretation somewhat; regardless that is part of the discovery.

I mention this, only because I have a history of being disappointed/disgusted with a couple philosophy classes. The teacher wanted the students to memorize their handouts of "what the author really meant". To the point where no one would read the txt until they got that handout, so they could understand it the way the professor wanted them to.

OP, what do you think of the world Plato is describing in that work?

twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

I would argue that, especially for someone beginning their journey into philosophical waters, to refrain from telling someone what the author "means". I think it is open to interpretation somewhat; regardless that is part of the discovery.

This isn't just my opinion mouthing off, it's how the story ends, as much as I remember.  It's open to "interpretation", in as much as Plato straight up says how he wants to interpret it.  You don't often get a book where the author is a character, talking about the story.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:30:06 am »

This isn't just my opinion mouthing off, it's how the story ends, as much as I remember.  It's open to "interpretation", in as much as Plato straight up says how he wants to interpret it.  You don't often get a book where the author is a character, talking about the story.
I could be completely mistaken, it's been a long time since I read it, but I don't remember it being so clear. From looking at the wiki page it seems up for debate at least.

I enjoyed reading this. It was one of the first Philosophy texts I read. It was also part of a class and I enjoyed debating the contents. It provided me new perspectives on a number of subjects or at least more articulate ways of explaining ideas I already held. I find references to it in others things often enough which, having read it, helps me understand them better.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:46 am »

Having a personal copy, I was most pleased to see what was thought about the ending.

So I read it.

The just man, the good man, is rewarded by the gods. The soul is immortal, and the just man receives rewards after death such that the rewards given in life (high place, pick of wives, etc) are nothing compared to it.

I would also like to note that Plato doesn't appear in the book at all. Instead, you might be thinking of Socrates, who is the narrator.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 04:14:32 am »

From looking at the wiki page on The Republic it's not the end but the "Just City in Speech" (Books II-V) part who's tone is debated over. I think this is the bit Aqizzar remembers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 04:16:10 am »

Well, given that Plato had just opened a school for philosopher-princes... But I'll damn well read the book, too.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »

I find the argument's of the character's very much applicable to today's society well particularly in education. I live in the Philippine's a nation plagued with red tape and corruption I can see on how the education here is currently part of the problem, Perfecctly good student's learn on how to further themselves no matter the cost.

Do you guy's also find what is written today applicable to modern situation's well for me I kind of imagine my dwarves having these discussions.