Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which of the following options do you use for your financial holdings, or would prefer to use if you do not have any financial holdings?

Banks.
- 7 (14.6%)
Credit Unions.
- 29 (60.4%)
Holding all of your money yourself.
- 11 (22.9%)
Other.
- 1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Banks vs. Credit Unions  (Read 2629 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Banks vs. Credit Unions
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:22:18 am »

Well? I was wondering what Bay 12'ers prefer in this regard, because I myself was considering trying to join a credit union instead of a bank once I get a steady income. What, in your opinions, are the merits and detriments of banks and credit unions? Or do you all just hide your vast fortunes inside of your mattresses?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Banks vs. Credit Unions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:39:48 am »

I readily admit to having little experience with the differences. On the other hand, I keep hearing horror stories about all the banks in the area and the credit union I'm a member of has been exceptionally helpful, to the point of reversing a fee they weren't obligated to, that I had incurred because I hadn't myself read the paperwork (which my mother had signed when she had my power of attorney because I was like 8 or something). They might be weird in that regard, however.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 02:46:47 am »

I readily admit to having little experience with the differences.
Banks are for-profit corporate enterprises that use their member's money for investments and loans, while paying them interest for their savings and charging them interest for their loans. Decision makers are appointed by a board of directors. Usually will accept anyone who has enough money to open an account. Profit is used to make the executives and stockholders rich, and to expand the bank.

Credit Unions are not-for-profit (not to be confused with non-profit, it is just that profit is a secondary objective to member service) organizations in which all members are equal owners of the organization by virtue of their holdings in the credit union. Decisions makers are elected by popular vote among all members, or so I am told. Supposedly, credit unions have much better interest rates on loans and savings than banks do due to profit being a secondary objective instead of a primary one. May or may not have entry requirements beyond having enough money to hold a share in the credit union. Profit is used exclusively to improve the credit union.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:02:53 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 02:50:19 am »

I'm an idiot and keep my pocket change at home. Granted it's only a few hundred bucks, so I'm losing maybe $2 in interest, but hey!

When/if I get some decent savings I'd probably stick it in a credit union.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:56 am »

I put my money in gold bars which I then throw in the ocean, cover in soil, and call silly names like "Hawaii" or "Greenland".

So... Other?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:59:34 am »

I bank with The Co-operative which I think is like a credit union?  It's owned by people who have money in it rather than shareholders anyway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:02:41 am »

I don't understand why someone would want money in a big national bank unless absolutely necessary; their fees tend to be pretty awful. I'd rather go with a local credit union.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:04:46 am »

Considering that half the economy of this entire country is run by banks, I am not even sure that we even have something like credit unions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:45 am »

There are local area banks in some places.  I currently use one of those.  Mind you, they are still for profit.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:13:50 am »

There isn't even a Dutch Wikipedia page on credit union so I doubt we have a lot of those in here.
So yes, I obviously prefer banks as this is the first time I've ever heard of a credit union.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 09:18:38 am »

Credit Unions. If you have one in your area, and you don't do much traveling then its the best option.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:28:26 am »

I bank with The Co-operative which I think is like a credit union?  It's owned by people who have money in it rather than shareholders anyway.

Near as I can tell, what you are describing is a credit union.

I'm a member of Constellation Federal Credit Union.  I've been a member since I was like 5 because they were allowing family members of military service people to open accounts so my mom started accounts in all her children's names.

I like my credit union a lot.  The only time I ever get dinged with stupid fees is when I use ATM's, and that's the fault of the banks who own the ATM, not my credit union.  They don't have 24/7 customer service, but they have great customer service from 9-5.  The website does it's damn job and I can do things like transfer money between my accounts or send money to people easily and the transfers go through quickly.

All in all, my credit union has been great to me.  I would recommend it to anybody.  It's only open to members of some federal agency (unless their mom had the foresight to get them a membership back when the restrictions were loosened.)  But I bet you could find other credit unions that are similarly awesome.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:16 am »

Considering that half the economy of this entire country is run by banks, I am not even sure that we even have something like credit unions.

You say that like the US economy itself isn't run by banks, and we have tons of credit unions. Where do you live?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 09:56:35 am »

Bankland.

That was only half joking, btw.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:57:54 am »

... You know, if you don't want to say where you live, you can just say so (not like anybody here is going to stalk you anyway). It's just kind of hard to figure anything out when people say "In my country [...]" without specifying.
Pages: [1] 2 3