Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On Magma and Mechanisms  (Read 2478 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: On Magma and Mechanisms
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 01:54:40 am »

There is always the occasional typo, x.

I've had floodgates break.  Not often, but they have broke on me.  I always thought it was because I used poor quality material.  And wood.  I never had a stone one break, however.  I've had to reset the lever link, because I mistyped the P for x.  Don't ask.  Knutor isn't that smart IRL or in fantasy.

Sincerely,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 03:58:22 am »

31.25, and no mods unless LNP counts as a mod.
It might.  I don't know if LNP changes any of the obsidian materials raws.  It must have changed something, since obsidian isn't usable for anything in the unmodded game. 
not true. i always play vanilla and i use obsidian for stuff all the time.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 01:15:45 pm »

Nope, I was very sure to build it instead of just move it. I don't think you can stockpile a hatch cover over an empty space anyway. It was hooked up without a problem, it should've worked, but it came loose. The only floodgate I've ever had stay where it was supposed to is the artifact one. Normally I'd want to kill a dwarf who made a floodgate artifact instead of something "useful", but this time it was a blessing.

Sphalerite - how do you mean, obsidian can't be used for anything? The wiki says otherwise...  :-\

Not sure what I'm going to do with all the magma I dumped into a reservoir. I had no trouble building the pumps that brought it all up to the surface - got that one right on the first try, at least. But I built them out of iron. Some had obsidian blocks, some had gabbro blocks. Everything ought to be working fine... I don't know. lol    But thanks anyway, guys. :)

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 01:22:16 pm »

Sphalerite - how do you mean, obsidian can't be used for anything? The wiki says otherwise...  :-\

It used to be that obsidian was bugged and couldn't be used for anything but making sharp edges.  This may have been corrected since then, I haven't tried building with obsidian lately.

Still, doesn't explain why your mechanisms are melting.  I may have to try testing this myself.

If possible, could you try making some obsidian mechanisms, and then dumping them straight into magma and seeing if they melt?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »

If possible, could you try making some obsidian mechanisms, and then dumping them straight into magma and seeing if they melt?

Already done. If you want, I can load the fortress with it and take a screenshot for you to see. Obsidian mechanisms don't melt in magma, in my game.

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 01:34:07 am »

I've experienced something similar to this.  I had a magma drainage tunnel emptying into an underground magma tube, sealed off from the caverns by a fortification at the end of the tunnel.  Then, I placed a wall grate made out of basalt next to the fortification, out of paranoia that some flying magma-proof monster might find a way to swim through my fortification while magma was flowing through it.

Well, the first time I tried to empty magma through this tunnel, I looked at the wall grate afterward and saw that it was no longer installed, but just sitting there - as though it was stockpiled or just dropped there.  At first I thought that I had somehow forgotten to actually build it, but then how did it even get there?  It's not like there was actually a stockpile there.

I then loaded a previous save, from right after I had built the grate, and confirmed that it had in fact been built properly.  So, it seems to be the case that flowing magma has some chance of dislodging built furniture made out of magma-proof materials.  In this case, there were no mechanisms, it was just a static wall grate, so that couldn't have been the problem.

After the magma evaporated from the tunnel, I sent a dwarf in to rebuild the grate, and then flooded the tunnel with magma again.  The grate remained upright from then onward.  The one time that it deconstructed was the first and only time that anything like this has happened to me.  But it definitely did happen.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 08:13:25 am »

It used to be that obsidian was bugged and couldn't be used for anything but making sharp edges.  This may have been corrected since then, I haven't tried building with obsidian lately.

Still, doesn't explain why your mechanisms are melting.  I may have to try testing this myself.

It's still currently bugged. But, it doesn't end up unusable in every game: if you have a layer of obsidian, then it defaults to being usable for "non-economic" uses. If you don't have a layer of obsidian, then it defaults to being usable only for making sharp weapons. Either way, it doesn't show up in the list of stones, so you can't change it, that's the bug.

You can fix the bug by temporarily removing the "max edge:20000" tag from obsidian (in the raws in your save folder), reloading your game, going to the z->stones menu, and turning obsidian from red (unusable) to green (usable). For some reason, the max edge 20000 tag prevents it from showing up in the list of stones. After you've turned it green, you can save your game and add the max edge tag back to the raws.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:04 am »

I've experienced something similar to this.  I had a magma drainage tunnel emptying into an underground magma tube, sealed off from the caverns by a fortification at the end of the tunnel.  Then, I placed a wall grate made out of basalt next to the fortification, out of paranoia that some flying magma-proof monster might find a way to swim through my fortification while magma was flowing through it.

Well, the first time I tried to empty magma through this tunnel, I looked at the wall grate afterward and saw that it was no longer installed, but just sitting there - as though it was stockpiled or just dropped there.  At first I thought that I had somehow forgotten to actually build it, but then how did it even get there?  It's not like there was actually a stockpile there.

I then loaded a previous save, from right after I had built the grate, and confirmed that it had in fact been built properly.  So, it seems to be the case that flowing magma has some chance of dislodging built furniture made out of magma-proof materials.  In this case, there were no mechanisms, it was just a static wall grate, so that couldn't have been the problem.

After the magma evaporated from the tunnel, I sent a dwarf in to rebuild the grate, and then flooded the tunnel with magma again.  The grate remained upright from then onward.  The one time that it deconstructed was the first and only time that anything like this has happened to me.  But it definitely did happen.
Okay, good. At least now we know I'm not going crazy. :) But... now I think this calls for some experimentation... I'm wondering if there's some sort of trigger that makes the magma remove built items - a specific heat around it or something, magma on multiple sides, etc - or is it just random chance? I've had this happen several times, so either I'm doing it all wrong, or I'm just very, very unlucky.

I'm hoping I'm doing it all wrong. At least then I can fix it.
Pages: 1 [2]