Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On Magma and Mechanisms  (Read 2474 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
On Magma and Mechanisms
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:43:44 pm »

Okay, I'm kind of needing to know why this happens...

Floodgate, used for magma. Floodgate is made of obsidian. Mechanism #1 and mechanism #2 are both made of obsidian. Lever is made of obsidian. I pull the lever a few times, and the floodgate comes loose. Magma goes everywhere, carrying the broken floodgate along. Tried it with a floor hatch too and it did the same thing. Snap, crackle, and all hell (in the form of magma) breaks loose. As does the floor hatch.

What am I doing wrong?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: On Magma and Mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:57:03 pm »

What version of DF are you using, and do you have any mods applied?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »

31.25, and no mods unless LNP counts as a mod.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 08:14:35 pm »

It might.  I don't know if LNP changes any of the obsidian materials raws.  It must have changed something, since obsidian isn't usable for anything in the unmodded game.   I know that although obsidian is magma-safe in the current version, it wasn't always in older versions.  Check your inorganic_stone_layer file and see what the MELTING_POINT for INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN is.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:16:13 pm »

<12000 = magma safe
>12000 = not magma safe

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 08:23:44 pm »

Hmmmmm.....

as a player who was about to install a boatload of obsidian floodgates (with obsidian mechanisms), I think I'll be watching this thread closely...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »

Hmmmmm.....

as a player who was about to install a boatload of obsidian floodgates (with obsidian mechanisms), I think I'll be watching this thread closely...

^
|
|
/doomed/

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:58:16 pm »

The version of Dwarf Fortress you're currently using doesn't matter - what's important is what version of Dwarf Fortress was used when you generated the world, since raws are region-specific.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, it shouldn't be melting. Gabbro is doing the same thing. It's not like the floodgates are permanently destroyed - they just break off and start moving around, which by itself is enough to flood my fortress from top to bottom if I kept the pumps going.

I've played 31.18, but this world was generated in 31.25. Interestingly enough, my artifact floodgate isn't having any trouble at all, and I didn't have artifact mechanisms to go with it.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:02 am »

How do floodgates behave when there's an item on the square they're on?

I've seen people saying that a floodgate can be jammed open by a creature on the site when you try to close it...can one be jammed open by a rock, if it slides under the floodgate due to the flowing magma? Can rocks be moved by flowing magma? I'm not sure that would cause it to deconstruct, though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 08:31:10 am »

From your description, the floodgates are remaining intact even though they're coming loose.  That makes sense since the obsidian floodgates are magma-safe and won't melt even if they deconstruct.  It really sounds like the mechanisms are melting.  Are you sure you used obsidian to make the mechanisms?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 12:48:15 pm »

Lever has a mechanism too.  *shrug*

3 total. 2 to link, 1 lever.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:52 pm »

I'm very, very sure I used obsidian for the mechanisms. The lever used one made of gabbro, though. Which is also magma-safe. Can magma have some sort of pressure behind it that can knock a floodgate/floor hatch around?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 02:53:24 pm »

No. Magma can not "knock off" a floodgate or floor hatch short of melting it or it's mechanisms. Maybe it has something to do with the [LAVA] token on obsidian.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »

It might.  I don't know if LNP changes any of the obsidian materials raws.  It must have changed something, since obsidian isn't usable for anything in the unmodded game.   I know that although obsidian is magma-safe in the current version, it wasn't always in older versions.  Check your inorganic_stone_layer file and see what the MELTING_POINT for INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN is.

It can't??? That's news to me. I'm playing unmodded and I've used obsidian floodgates and mechanisms to control magma with no problems at all.

OP, the only thing I can think of that would cause the floodgate to get washed away is if you just placed in it the location rather than built it (b-x). But if you had done that, you wouldn't have been able to link it to a lever with mechanisms, so that doesn't make any sense.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2