Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: out of ammo  (Read 379 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
out of ammo
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »

I've just started training some marksdwarfs and i've run out of bolts.
I had a dozen bins full of bone bolts when i drafted them and i've got 5 crafters making bone bolts on repeat. But half of them are now saying "can't carry out orders" and when i check they have no bolts in their quivers and all my bins are empty.
They have an archery range and i did ask them to kill a couple of goblins who i had locked in a room for target practise. But that can't have used all the bolts can it? I've checked and there are no forbidden bolts anywhere according to the stocks page.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: out of ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:05:04 pm »

Bone bolts take forever to make and are made five at a time. Switch to wood or metal.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:14:53 pm »

Skilled (or even semi-skilled) marksdwarves will go through bolts like machine gun bullets.  Bone bolts can take a long time to make due to a bug where any part of an animal will clutter a workshop as much as the entire creature will, so bone bolts from large creatures take forever to make.  The only solution to this is to breed a lot of small creatures - dogs or something - and then have multiple bonecrafting workshops running non-stop making them.

It can help some to make a bolt-catching system, by digging a trench behind the archery target so bolts which miss will fall down and not be destroyed.  The main problem with this is that you get lots of single bones that have to be hauled one at a time, since they can't be restacked.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:24:50 pm »

Your bolts might also be getting monopolized by hunters... disable hunting on all dwarves if you want your bolts used solely for marksdwarves.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]