Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 60

Author Topic: Bring Your Own Picture Mafia - The only way to win is to not play. [Game over!]  (Read 88870 times)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Picture Mafia - A Day in the Art Museum [Day 1]
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2011, 02:09:52 pm »

...Cute.
Also very vague.
May I have an actual answer, please?
Very well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In summary, I intend to act cautiously.
Thank you.

Quote from: Orangebottle
No lynch
I'm not amused,NUKE. Not amused at all. Are you trying to say that the entire game is pointless? Why don't you want us doing anything?
I was promot-
Quote from: Orangebottle
Hidden abbr tags!
Daaaaang. Am I so predictable?
Yes. :P
On a more serious note:

Can't decide if this is incredibly audacious , or just jestering. No lynch especially, care to explain how it would be a good idea ?

Lets go Nuke
The level of chaos is unknown, and there are a lot of players. Which is to say, we have no idea what to expect. The possibility that the town has a glut of investigative roles is valid. A D1 no lynch, then, is not as foolish a course of action as it normally is in games where the structure is well known, and we can expect lynchings to have a useful effect.
D1 lynches being essentially random, it may be better not to risk killing a useful towny who might otherwise have identified a member of the scumteam in the night.
Conversely, there's a possibility that we have no investigative roles. Or perhaps we have weak, or %chance investigative roles? We could also hit scum on day one. You're also ignoring that the scum/third parties probably have kills, which would kill off random people anyway. They could also be a Cult instead of a Mafia. Which means they would be converting instead of killing, which is undeniably worse.

This is odd, because it somewhat contradicts your 'cautious play'. Did you even consider those possibilities? Also, why wouldn't lynches have a useful effect in this game?

First!
Alright, Wuba, how do you think flavor will be thrown around?
Why do I care?
Answer the question please. Me no like dodgy.
And how does this question help you find scum?
Was just wondering, since flavor can have a large effect on play/roleguess. (i.e. demon as town? blasphemy!)
Considering that the flavor seems to be "random pictures from the internet collected and put in a museum suddenly come to life", I don't think there's much of a way to guess roles from that. I still don't see how that helps you hunt scum. Guessing at roles in an obviously not-flavor-heavy game is stupid, especially at this point because we have such little information to go off of regarding them.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2011, 02:23:24 pm »

unvote Orangebottle That is a good answer... moving on.

Ottofar, What do you think will happen at higher defcons? Maybe a Watcher sort of thing>

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2011, 02:25:56 pm »

EBWODP
That > was meant to be ?.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2011, 02:28:27 pm »

This is odd, because it somewhat contradicts your 'cautious play'. Did you even consider those possibilities?
No, you mentioning them is the first time I considered these possibilities [/sarcasm]

I have cautiously analysed what I know. This is obviously very little. At this point in time, with no better targets to go after, and the RVS still going strong, I am inclined to give weight to the theory that given the large number of players the chance of there being no useful investigative roles is quite low, and that the potential information gained from night actions would offset the information lost by not lynching someone, provided that one also takes into consideration that D1 lynches do not hit scum reliably. Also, one assumes that everyone has sent in an entertaining picture and has an entertaining role to go with it, so it seems like such a waste to lynch them before they get to have any fun. Thus, No Lynch.

Speaking of which, Andrew425- You're scum and everyone knows it. Now crack like an egg and spill out the scumjuices.

PPE: Powder Miner STOP RVSING. DO SOMETHING USEFUL.
Long Live United Forenia!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2011, 02:32:15 pm »

You do have a point. I was mostly seeing Wuba's reaction, but... yeah. It's not too easy to guess (most) roles through flavor here. Also thanks for kinda answering Wuba's question :P

@Ninjas:
so it seems like such a waste to lynch them before they get to have any fun.
... uh... you're talking as if town is dispensable...  ???
Thus, No Lynch.
This makes sense, but How Are You Going To Press for Info Without A Vote To Back It Up? It kinda makes it less forceful, no?
Speaking of which, Andrew425- You're scum and everyone knows it. Now crack like an egg and spill out the scumjuices.
There's no... question here.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2011, 02:34:23 pm »

Webadict
Who the fudge is Andrew425, and why should I care?

I'm Andrew, I frequent the forum often. Mostly spend time on the upper boards though. As to why you should care? It's because I ooze awesome.

Tolk
Also, why did you remove my name from the above quote, then ask me back?

I don't have the quote thing down yet.

Ottofar
Andrew, how much've you played, and stuff. Also, how do you plan on winning this game.
Also, a hypothetical scenario: you're driving around the town, when suddenly a traffic light appears. Which colour is the light currently lit?

This will be my third game so far. The first game I was a regular townie and died quite quickly. The second was a cop and I managed to win. I plan on winning this game much like how I did my second game.

As for your scenario, Red. If i'm driving and a traffic light appears that I notice it would have to be Red otherwise i'd just drive through.

Simple

Do you think by running your own mafia games you have a better chance then others at figuring out people's meta game?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »

Unvote.

Andrew: It is interesting that you're ignoring NUKE completely.  Care to explain why?

MBP:

Can't decide if this is incredibly audacious , or just jestering. No lynch especially, care to explain how it would be a good idea ?

Lets go Nuke

You were under attack at this point, and being asked questions.  You proceeded to ignore both Orangebottle's push to answer his question and Urist's question, and just ignore the continuing attacks.  Why?  Please answer their questions.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2011, 03:26:35 pm »

Simple : The lynch, from then on you can start putting back the piece of the puzzle, and the data is invaluable for further play. RVS is meh, and scumtell on first day are horribly innacurate.

Jack: Heh but i did find those questions stupid. Powder was not a question, jsut a demand to stop stupid question. I'm okay with that, it was RVS anyway back then.

as for Orange bottle, can't remember any real question from him. Sure, he spewed random shit saying my question were dumb then showed that he know the concept of RVS, wich i find disengenuous. I'll indulge you anyway

is question was how my RVS question would help catch scum, the answer being of course they wont do much, since they are RVS, He then proceeded to blindingly point at me for dodging is (useless) question. basically, looks to me like beginning scum trying to show he's working hard for town, yet coming waaaaaay short.

Urist: I always fight tooth and nail, especially when faux-town idiots use faulty reasoning or blatant stupidity as their arguments. Thus my reaction to orange. Ain't Ad Hominem if it's true, dear.

As for now, my vote will stay on Nuke, since Nolynch day 1 is counterproductive. I am aware that myslinch chances are high, but a free day is too much of a gift to scum and especially third parties.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2011, 03:30:44 pm »

Orangebottle:  Anything in italics is flavor. Everything else is not.

PFP so votecount later.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2011, 03:37:24 pm »

Mr.Person : What is your dream mafia team (assuming 4 man team) ?

A 4 member team where every member has a 1-shot daykill or any other lylo breaker including vote steals, vote blocks, lynch blocks, 1-shot kill seperate from the mafiakill, delays, ect ect. It would be fine if only one member had such an ability and everyone else had defensive abilities like protections, godfatherlyness, asceticness, roleblocks, action immunity, ect.

So a team of 4 where everyone is an action-immune daykiller with infinity votes. Yes that sounds about perfect.

Well, depends on whether I poison during the Day or during the Night. If I were to poison during the Day, then I would wait until near the end of the Day to choose. Otherwise, I'd wait until the Night to choose. Because poisoning people at the start of Day 1 is a really stupid idea, and it usually gets you killed (As does most D1 kills).

Now, you should rephrase your question to less stupid things that are not quite as loaded. I would consider this replacement: "You have a Day 1 kill that must be used now. Who do you use it on?" In which case I would reply TolyK. That question isn't pointlessly time dependent, and therefore answerable right now. See the difference?

Are there any circumstances where it would be ok to use a daykill on D1?

Now why would you use it on TolyK? Holy shit Webadict, you're coming dangerously close to question dodging here by not really answering the question.

Mr. Person: What role or person do you feel most threatened by?

The scum role designed to counter the town's otherwise strongest role. Second most threatening is the one that's countering MY role. Everything else, eh, who cares.

As for players, I'd pick IronyOwl. eh dodges lynches and doesnt afraid anything. Course that's the whole problem, in actual play I'm not threatened by IronyOwl at all, but errytime we get to the end of a game guess who's standing there with that smugass avatar's grin? It's a "gee IronyOwl makes a fearsome mafioso", not a "holy shit IronyOwl's going to get me lynched if I fuck it" problem. That threatening jerk is Webadict.

Simple: If you were a one-shot roleblocker, how would you choose your target?
I would save it until i got at least some knowledge of how the roles are distributed and/or very serious suspicions towards someone, in game this big throwing it early would be rather useless. Of course i would also use it if we would come to some critical situation ( one death to lylo or something like that)  or we come up with a fail-proof plan to win with the block's help.
[/quote]

Or you could stop overvaluing a one-shot roleblock and just accept it's likely going to be wasted anyways. That "game saved by a roleblock" scenario is exceedingly unlikely to happen, but it will NEVER happen if you sit on your 1-shot until you get killed or lynched or converted or whatever nasty things are going to happen to use during the night. Or day, for that matter.

On the other hand a RB's time to shine is when there's but a single mafia member left because each night either you clear someone or there's no mafiakill. On the other side of that other hand, you have to get there. Statically speaking you won't and right now you have a very real chance of blocking a mafia member. Probably not the kill, but blocking any mafia member whatsoever is good in a PR-heavy game such as this since every single one of them is likely to be doing something nefarious every night.

I want to have a more laid-back game, though that probably won't work now :P
I think everyone needs to be questioned, but i'm guessing the more experienced players (Think, Irony, Wuba, Person, and the like). I know Jack AT is a good mafia-side player (from being on the same team as him before :P) so questioning him might help too.

I notice you failed to list yourself. Why is that?

...I pretty much expected that answer.

Then why even bother asking if you already know the answer?

The level of chaos is unknown, and there are a lot of players. Which is to say, we have no idea what to expect. The possibility that the town has a glut of investigative roles is valid. A D1 no lynch, then, is not as foolish a course of action as it normally is in games where the structure is well known, and we can expect lynchings to have a useful effect.
D1 lynches being essentially random, it may be better not to risk killing a useful towny who might otherwise have identified a member of the scumteam in the night.

I'm going to vote NUKE as a policy lynch. Refusing to play the game is not a strategy, it's bullshit. And until you get a lynch target through any method of your choice OR are obviously trying to get a lynch target, I'm not moving my vote. Which is sad since I'd much rather be lynching people who I suspect, but we have to stop lurking somehow. And if at the end of the day you refused to get a lynch target, well, lurking away D1 was pretty scummy, now wasn't it?

As to why your stance is retarded, if we were about to lynch an inspector, said player can claim and we can no lynch or lynch someone else if we want. But if a player is scummy, we really should be lynching them anyways. Scumreads should not be playing second billing to "maybe he's a good PR" since scumreads trump PR every day of the weak.

Here's some maths assuming we randomly lynch, there's 4 scum total with no third parties and only one role vigilante. Other roles don't count since they could be spoofed by others, false or inccorect because of mod trickery, or an outright lie by scum.

Chance of hitting a scum member: 2/9 (22.222...%)
Chance of lynching that guy and ruining things: 1/18 (5.555...%)

Then at night, here's the chances of hitting that guy IF
A mafia member was lynched: 1/14 (7.143%)
A townie was lynched: 1/13 (7.692%)

If we don't lynch, there's obviously just the nightkill and inspection
Chance of hitting a scum member: 0
Chance of hitting that guy and ruining things: 1/14 (7.143%)

In other words you're trading a 20%(!) chance of finding scum to remove a 5% chance of accidentally killing a role who has the ability to find scum. And if there's more than one that guy and you throw in third parties and/or a bigger mafia, sure your math gets a little bit better, but we're doing pretty well if we have 2 that guys, one of the that guy (vigilante) is probably a third party anyways (sk), and having more mafia just makes lynching all the more imperative.

And that's assuming such a role exists. Worst case scenario is there isn't a role like that, and I always take the worst case scenario as fact until proven otherwise. Then being wrong is a pleasant surprise rather than game breaker like your assumption being inccorect is.

In other words
"You're scum totally just give up
adviceNUKE
Stop RVSing it's useless"

Hypocrite.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2011, 04:30:06 pm »

Orangebottle,
Because it might reveal something if he didn't say SK or Cult.

Nuke, what are you trying to accomplish with the random ridiculous reaction test? It's like saying "I call jack-of-all-trades and [player] is a mafia watcher." Something out of the blue like that can't really be taken seriously... And if it cannot be taken seriously, are you actually scumhunting or trying to look active?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Picture Mafia - Signups closed! [18/18]
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2011, 05:08:36 pm »

Also, a hypothetical scenario: you're driving around the town, when suddenly a traffic light appears. Which colour is the light currently lit?
Almost didn't notice this.
Another awful RVS question. Is this supposed to be a joke? Seriously guys, stop asking shit like this.

Jack: Heh but i did find those questions stupid. Powder was not a question, jsut a demand to stop stupid question. I'm okay with that, it was RVS anyway back then.
That doesn't excuse ignoring them.

as for Orange bottle, can't remember any real question from him. Sure, he spewed random shit saying my question were dumb then showed that he know the concept of RVS, wich i find disengenuous. I'll indulge you anyway
Urist, and also Powder : How did you feel about understanding that this question is actually useless ?
How many 3rd parties?
How are you going to catch scum with those?

is question was how my RVS question would help catch scum, the answer being of course they wont do much, since they are RVS, He then proceeded to blindingly point at me for dodging is (useless) question. basically, looks to me like beginning scum trying to show he's working hard for town, yet coming waaaaaay short.
If you think I'm newscum, why are you voting for NUKE?
My question wasn't useless. I was trying to get you to ask actual questions instead of stuff like,"Hey Orange, what would you do if the sky were suddenly green?". That doesn't help you catch scum. You then dodged the question by not answering it at all and calling me a hypocrite.

Urist: I always fight tooth and nail, especially when faux-town idiots use faulty reasoning or blatant stupidity as their arguments. Thus my reaction to orange. Ain't Ad Hominem if it's true, dear.
I never voted for you. I don't remember calling you scum. I said your RVS questions were terrible. You just got all worked up about it.
As for now, my vote will stay on Nuke, since Nolynch day 1 is counterproductive. I am aware that myslinch chances are high, but a free day is too much of a gift to scum and especially third parties.
So you have someone you think is obvnewscum, but you're voting for someone who has boycotting RVS and being pretty scummy on day one as their meta? Makes me think that the only reason you're calling me scum is to get me off your back.
-Dodging my question, and Urist's.
-Not voting for the person he thinks is most suspicious.
-Overreacting to a simple question.
-Many useless RVS questions.
The list gets larger and larger.

This is odd, because it somewhat contradicts your 'cautious play'. Did you even consider those possibilities?
No, you mentioning them is the first time I considered these possibilities [/sarcasm]

I have cautiously analysed what I know. This is obviously very little. At this point in time, with no better targets to go after, and the RVS still going strong, I am inclined to give weight to the theory that given the large number of players the chance of there being no useful investigative roles is quite low, and that the potential information gained from night actions would offset the information lost by not lynching someone, provided that one also takes into consideration that D1 lynches do not hit scum reliably. Also, one assumes that everyone has sent in an entertaining picture and has an entertaining role to go with it, so it seems like such a waste to lynch them before they get to have any fun. Thus, No Lynch.
It seems like a waste of a day to no lynch. That's what it seems like to me.

Interesting. What made you choose Andrew? Or were you just RVSing like you're telling Powder Miner not to?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »

How many 3rd parties? and Yes
Ah... With 18 people? I'm thinking like 4-5 scum, 3-4 third party, and the rest town. Though I'm not to familiar with BYOR, so these are pretty much wild guesses.

TolyK: Why give a hint to your role?  Or was that not meant to be serious?
It had a  :P -face, it was just a joke.

And Andrew425, I never played with you before. Who would be your favorite scummate?
Probably Think0028, he ran the beginners mafia and would probably be good to have on the team.

TolyK
Would you rather be an SK or a vigilante?
I'd rather be a vigilante, since I would win if town won, and i wouldn't really have to be alive.
Though I can just pew pew as an sk... though probably still vig.

Also, why did you remove my name from the above quote, then ask me back?
TolyK. The joke things was allowable, but your SK vs. Vig reply is unacceptable. You are claiming you would win if town won as if you yourself are not town. You also consider the sk as if you already are an sk.
This would probably be because I wrote it within a period of like 30 minutes (off and on) and so my words weren't written coherently. Big deal. "Can" to "could" and it's good.
Meaning you had less time to consider word choice. And just because the "can" COULD have been "could" does not make it so. It'd be like "I will mafiakill Mr.Person" instead of "I would mafiakill Mr.Person". So, yes, it is a big deal.

First!
Alright, Wuba, how do you think flavor will be thrown around?
Why do I care?
Answer the question please. Me no like dodgy.
The question is stupid for a myriad of reasons, not the first being "Do I look like a mind reader?" Seriously, this question is a waste of bytes and brain power. It literally answers nothing and teaches you that I really hate stupid questions. So, if you can explain how this particular question adequately amounts to anything, then I will answer the question.

Otherwise, NO. I will not answer stupid questions on principal unless there is a really good reason to.

Well, depends on whether I poison during the Day or during the Night. If I were to poison during the Day, then I would wait until near the end of the Day to choose. Otherwise, I'd wait until the Night to choose. Because poisoning people at the start of Day 1 is a really stupid idea, and it usually gets you killed (As does most D1 kills).

Now, you should rephrase your question to less stupid things that are not quite as loaded. I would consider this replacement: "You have a Day 1 kill that must be used now. Who do you use it on?" In which case I would reply TolyK. That question isn't pointlessly time dependent, and therefore answerable right now. See the difference?

Are there any circumstances where it would be ok to use a daykill on D1?

Now why would you use it on TolyK? Holy shit Webadict, you're coming dangerously close to question dodging here by not really answering the question.
Consider asking concise, useful questions next time. I had taken it upon myself to improve the quality of your question, since poisoning someone as a day action would be left to later in the Day, as I would be killing based entirely on a good 15 pages information. What does that lead you to believe? Do I look like an idiot to you?

Basically, I rejected your reality and substituted my own superior version. If you notice, you'll notice that there are a few clauses I added so as to make sure you didn't jump out yelling "Gotcha!" So, instead of complaining, perhaps use this as a lesson to improve your sub-par question-asking abilities. Such as, "Why would you kill TolyK based on the limited information you have obtained so far?" Well, because I think he is particularly suspicious, if you had not read only a few hundred pixels higher in my post (though, this changes on text size), I do not particularly like his wording, nor much of his posts.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2011, 06:35:08 pm »

Oh hey orange,  almost did not see you there under the flow of bullshit exiting your mouth ( or typing pad thing, whatever). A quick copy paste and maybe you will stop being a douche and actually understand stuff.

If you think I'm newscum, why are you voting for NUKE?

Because he is scummier than you ? Maybe since he seriously offered to no-lynch, and is explication was less than stellar ? You are not the center of the game, kiddo

My question wasn't useless. I was trying to get you to ask actual questions instead of stuff like,"Hey Orange, what would you do if the sky were suddenly green?". That doesn't help you catch scum. You then dodged the question by not answering it at all and calling me a hypocrite.
If your goal was for me to stop RVS-ing and ask actual question, why not actually say so ? Again with the dodging the question. I answered earlier, it was RVS. That post was posted 5 minute after the start of the game, are you blind ?

I never voted for you. I don't remember calling you scum. I said your RVS questions were terrible. You just got all worked up about it.

Agreed, but then again I hate when peole are stupid around me. You hit that button pretty well.

So you have someone you think is obvnewscum, but you're voting for someone who has boycotting RVS and being pretty scummy on day one as their meta? Makes me think that the only reason you're calling me scum is to get me off your back.

Hahaha oh wow. Actually, i call you scum since you seem so intent on using fallacious argument and willfull ignorance to get people to agree with you. You can stay on my back all you want, you are only proving yourself a fool, and it's entertaining. And now point by point !

-Dodging my question, and Urist's. Urist i admit had valid point and they have been adressed. On yourself, if you could ask actually relevant question then I would answer them. No luck on that front so far.

-Not voting for the person he thinks is most suspicious. Except it's what i'm doing. Duh

-Overreacting to a simple question. You may have to point me which question it would be, from my view it's illogism/blatant disregard for fact that get me worked up.

-Many useless RVS questions. Nice way to end the list. Guess you needed a little padding ? You should have plenty of material, since some are still on the RVS

The list gets larger and larger. Certainly, keep it coming, it amuses me

From Orange Bottle
It seems like a waste of a day to no lynch. That's what it seems like to me.

Any other insight, oh master ? This was high caliber play, right there.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2011, 06:38:07 pm »

Simple, more than one kill, most likely yes, with this amount of players.

I'm guessing a scumteam, a traditional SK, a vote-influencing SK, and a survivor/lyncher/some other 3rd party.

Powder, I dunno, it could be a watcher. (Survive until day X and win)

Andrew, do you know why I think you're scum?
If not, try and guess.

And sleeptime.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 60