Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Longest lasting fortress?  (Read 6514 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Longest lasting fortress?
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:58:41 pm »

What was your longest lasting fortress? How long did it last, how did it die, why did you kill it, and what was so cool about it?
Also, what would you say is the average life of your fortresses?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: Longest lasting fortress?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:04:19 pm »

sir.

what?

sir, we found the remains of a dwarven settlement.

what? how?

we sent one of our various demigods into the wilds and they found a fortress.

name?

we dont know, those records are lost.

fort name?

those are lost, sir, all of the engravings are written on ancient dwarfish, as if they were still drunk!

cause of death?

minotaur and siege combined.

age?

judging from the various trails and rotting bodies, around 5-8 years.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »

Currently on year 94 and still going.

On average (excluding Weatherwires, of course, which would skew the data considerably), I'd say most of my forts don't last past the 5 year mark or so.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:13:05 pm »

I've only run two forts to "completion", and that was just me abandoning them out of boredom.  First lasted 6, second one 11.  Even a forgotten beast with deadly dust removing 2/5 of the population in the second one couldn't bring it down.  Only a single tantruming citizen after the carnage.

Working on my third and it's currently in year two, so we'll see how it goes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »

I don't remember the name but it lasted 12~15 years, it had 16000 candy units (a it had candy on the first cavern level!) the population was arround 200 (temperature off). The fort became soooooooooooooo boring with all those masterpiece crundle tallow roasts and opulent rooms, and I even had a duchess! (she had 6 kids!)
Then the fort froze in time the huge ammount of clothes, rotten bodies from fallen enemies and military equipement that it created a singularity, it wraped time and space fabric arround the fort making time there incredible slow, then I went to the circus.
My huge-mega-gigantic-big-blast-with lasers-cave in trap caused the game to crash, so I savescummed and tried to beat the clowns with my own fists.
My candy dandy army was crushed and the clowns proceeded to rape the rest of the fort...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 03:25:45 pm »

Probably my present fort at Bootrazors, actually. Like DS, my forts usually don't exceed 5 years. This one's been at least nine, and is presently a duchy, with a population hovering around 100 thanks to init editing safety and immigration regulations. Not sure if I want to shoot for Mountainhome, but I am trying to get Duchess Nomal married. Also contemplating fiddling with temperatures and/or the on-site river; FPS is generally hovering around 40 with regular livestock culls and restraints.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »

I always have two goals for my fortresses. Get the monarch and conquer the basement. So my forts rarely get past the 15th year, by which I have either successfully colonized the basement and abandoned the fortress or have died trying.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »

My shit tends to taper off at about 7-8 years on average. Which is just fine since by then I'm usually bored and seeking a new gimmick anyway.

EDIT: Whoops posted too soon.

Continuing, my best and most favorite was basically this volcanoside city. Rather than a bunch of halls I hollowed out the area (that took a while) and left a bunch of paths, then filled the gaps with magma like it was Dorf!Venice. It also marked the most I've used mechanisms in a given fort, since I had to not only get the magma in but set up failsafes in case I needed to drain/manage it for whatever reason. There was also a last-ditch doomsday lever that would flood the entire thing, but I never got to use it. In retrospect it wasn't very gremlin-safe anyway.

The whole thing fell apart when gobbos showed up after a very nasty tantrum spiral. Highly inglorious way to go down, with the exception of my mayor who did fought a troll bare-handed over a narrow bridge and won. Granted the troll dodged over the side but it was still very Hollywood.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:09:15 pm by Tastysaurus Rex »
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »

My oldest fort, Largebusts, lasted 12 years.  It died to a mix of fps doom and player boredom.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »

On average (excluding Weatherwires, of course, which would skew the data considerably), I'd say most of my forts don't last past the 5 year mark or so.
Geez! What are doing in that fort that you're keeping it around that long?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 07:25:19 pm »

The famous fortress of Flarechanneled lasted over 200 years, if I recall correctly. It should be linked in the Hall of Legends thread in Stores.

Personally, my longest lasting fort lasted 55 years, before it began to stutter due to FPS and I let great demon spiders eat everyone inside.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 07:42:41 pm »

Geez! What are doing in that fort that you're keeping it around that long?

Well, at first it was a kind of intricate megaproject that involved using the natural cavern system to dictate the layout of structures within the fortress. Then a bunch of bugs turned it into a literary opportunity. It'll be ending soon (within a week or two), but I've been updating it in it's own thread. The link is in my sig.

And yeah, Flarechannels holds the record for longest-lasting fortress, unless I've missed something. It's not really that surprising, though, when you take a look at how absurdly big it is.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:03:51 pm »

My current fort, Gorerape, is my longest lasting fortress at six years. Just over my average fortress lifespan.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 11:20:35 pm »

My oldest is around 20 years.
It died because I couldnt abandon.

( Goes to show why 7 dwarves with speed 1 cant abandon ._. )

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 11:30:13 pm »

On a related note, can dwarves die of old age?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: [1] 2