Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: There's plenty of wine to go around, but my dwarves are dying of thirst. Why?  (Read 2955 times)

pmts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Beginner here. My fortress has gone under siege, so I sealed the entrance and put all my civilians in a burrow encompassing the entire fortress. The problem is, now they refuse to drink the loads of dwarven wine that's lying around. Most of my dwarves are dehydrated by now and some have already died from thirst. I have two stills brewing 24/7, but it's only getting worse. What's going on?

EDIT: I'm also spammed with messages like "X cancels Store Item in Bin: Job item misplaced". Maybe that's part of the problem?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:47:46 am by pmts »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile

How many physical barrels do you have, only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

Do you have a booze stockpile in the burrow? Is the burrow connected? (No breaks in between them) Do you have barrels in the stockpile to store the booze in?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How many physical barrels do you have, only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time.

Came here to say this. Other than that, the original poster should check if some of the barrels aren't inaccessible or forbidden or something.

There's this myth going around that if there's only one type of alcohol and dwarves are sufficiently sick of it, they will refuse to drink it even if it means having to drink water or even die of thirst. I'm just bringing this up to underline that the myth has been thoroughly debunked.

pmts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I counted 8 dwarven wine barrels. Should be enough for ~80 dwarves, right?

As I said, I have one big burrow encompassing the entire fortress, my dwarves can access every room inside, they just can't go outside.

EDIT: none of the barrels are forbidden, all seem to be accessible.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I counted 8 dwarven wine barrels. Should be enough for ~80 dwarves, right?

As I said, I have one big burrow encompassing the entire fortress, my dwarves can access every room inside, they just can't go outside.
Only, 8  barrels.......for 80 dwarves. I suggest you build a tantrum bunker NAO.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

Expand the pile a bit. 8 barrels isn't really enough in my experience. Though it's not so little that everyone would die of dehydration...

Edited out forbidden suggestion

pmts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I built 30 barrels just before it started. Is there a way to make them split the wine over many barrels instead of filling them one by one until they're full?

EDIT: after thinking about it for a while... it could have been, that I just had too much food and the barrels were filled with food before wine. Am I on good track here?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:05:26 pm by pmts »

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

Not that I know of. If you press o (I think) it should show special _o_rders. Press m to toggle mixing food, that might be it.

Mixing Food on: 5 units of wine and 4 units of rum = one barrel with both

No Mix: Two half empty barrels

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

You should have at least as many barrels of wine as you have dwarves.  So no, you don't have enough.

To fix this, start by making sure that your dwarves aren't wasting barrels on storing things that don't need to be stores in barrels.  Split your food stockpile, have one stockpile that only takes booze and another that takes everything but booze.  Set the maximum barrels to zero on the stockpile that takes all the non-booze food.  This will reserve the barrels for booze.

Build more farms and plant plump helmets.  Make some more still and set them to nonstop production.  You can enable farming and brewing on any dwarf, although the more skilled dwarves will grow more plump helmets per farm tile and brew booze faster, so it's better to have a few very skilled farmers and brewers than a lot of unskilled ones.

I built 30 barrels just before it started. Is there a way to make them split the wine over many barrels instead of filling them one by one until they're full?

A brewer will only take an empty barrel, and will fill it when they finish brewing.  You can't tell them to split a single brewing job over multiple barrels.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

pmts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those are good suggestions. Thanks.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is that really how it works in your game? Because it really shouldn't due to not making any sense unless we're dealing with compartmentalized (if that is even the right word) barrels or some shit. It should result in a mix that might be palatable or vomit-inducing depending on what the ingredients and the drinker's preferences are, but in the game it would probably be unusable similarly to water- and lye-containing buckets.

How much of a drink goes into a barrel depends on how large the stacks are you harvest. So while large stacks are better, they won't help you during a sudden barrel shortage, but neither will small stacks. What you want to do is build more barrels, make fewer of them usable for other things (you don't need to put food into barrels) and perhaps plant bigger fields. Oh, there's also the option of crafting stone pots. They're supposed to work just as well as wooden barrels and their raw material is far more easily available than wood.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could also use rock pots, you never can run out of rock...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

Is that really how it works in your game? Because it really shouldn't due to not making any sense unless we're dealing with compartmentalized (if that is even the right word) barrels or some shit. It should result in a mix that might be palatable or vomit-inducing depending on what the ingredients and the drinker's preferences are, but in the game it would probably be unusable similarly to water- and lye-containing buckets.

How much of a drink goes into a barrel depends on how large the stacks are you harvest. So while large stacks are better, they won't help you during a sudden barrel shortage, but neither will small stacks. What you want to do is build more barrels, make fewer of them usable for other things (you don't need to put food into barrels) and perhaps plant bigger fields. Oh, there's also the option of crafting stone pots. They're supposed to work just as well as wooden barrels and their raw material is far more easily available than wood.

i never have mixed barrels of drink, just food
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

It's theorized that dwarven booze is solid. They tip the barrel upside down, have it slide slowly into their jaw, and then they chew. I'm fairly certain that, at the moment, they stack like this.
Pages: [1] 2