Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How bad are the spiders?  (Read 2881 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How bad are the spiders?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 12:39:03 pm »

Gameplay questions really isn't the place for a discussion like that, the guys question regarding gameplay has been answered, let's leave it at that

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »

It would be a massive waste of time for something which only really hinders me on video games, Spiders round here are nothing at all...

Now wait a second. You know the spiders where you live are harmless, so you aren't scared around them, but you're worried about pixel depictions of spiders that are even more harmless? This tells me this whole thread has been a joke.
[/quote]

Nothing at all as in, not big, not poisonous but still freak me out when they scuttle across the wall. Why the hell would this be a joke? I have nothing  even remotely funny to laugh at.

I'm not going to start an argument over this though.

Good to know. Note how the person whom I supposedly offended isn't the one making a fuss over this Mickey Mouse bullshit. That should tell you something.
[/quote]
That's probably because I've been away for the past few hours...

Gradual exposure to increasingly realistic depictions of the thing you're afraid of can actually be helpful for reducing your phobia.  Start with the non-graphical version of the game, where spiders are the letter S, and then once fighting them no longer freaks you out, change to the a graphical tileset with its simple, blockish representation of spiders.  My wife has a severe phobia of flying, stinging insects.  She plays the City of Heroes MMORPG.  One of the higher-level enemies has an attack where they summon swarms of bees.  The first time she met them, she freaked out and had to stop playing, even though it was't much more than a cloud of brown dots on a computer screen.  She eventuall went back and kept playing, and was eventually desensitized to them to the degree that she could fight the giant scythe-fly-looking things from LOTRO without getting scared.  She still screams if a wasp flies past while we're outside, but it's a lot less than it used to be.  So the little letter 'S' on the screen and tiny pixellated spiders could actually help you with your phobia eventually.
If it's just a big capital S then that's fine, a few small pixels should be fine as well but anything bigger might set it off (E.G That fricken Skyrim spider). I've been told I should watch someone fight the Skyrim one on youtube and keep watching it until I don't feel anything anymore, I guess that's kinda similar to what your wife did, I'll give it a shot!

Thanks a lot people, seems kinda trivial but I didn't want any nasty surprises...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 03:05:57 pm »

Doesn't seem trivial at all, mate. :)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 03:25:32 pm »

Its not really the depictions you should be afraid of. Its the combat logs of a GCS eating the brain of your axedwarf that might freak you out.
This is a blank sig.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 09:25:26 pm »

the spiders in this game don't look scarry, and most can be easily crushed and a good lil miner can (if lucky) wack one in the head and move on.

but if a big 8 legged froggoten beast shows up you might be fucked 8 ways to fun
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 10:26:01 pm »

1) Draft a militia of 80 dwarves
2) Arm them all with warhammers
3) Find a giant spider
4) Sick the entire military on them
5) Read the combat logs, Laugh as you  read how the spider was beaten into a bloody pulp
6) ???
7) Profit!

EDIT: Magma. Magma also will help with your phobia. (IE: Flood the caverns)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 11:18:24 pm »

3) Find a giant spider
5) Read the combat logs, Laugh as you  read how the spider was beaten into a bloody pulp
6) ???
7) Profit!

the things made out of steal and shots lava froms its eyes.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 04:01:38 am »

Come on man. There are lots of people with severe phobias.

Just because they don't make sense to you doesn't mean people should "get help."
everyone should get help with anything that makes their lives less enjoyable.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 04:21:52 am »

3) Find a giant spider
6) ???
7) Profit!

nothing a good cave-in cant help with
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:45 pm »

3) Find a giant spider
6) ???
7) Profit!

nothing a good cave-in cant help with

damn. oh wait. its a legandy dodger and the shit needs to fall 5z levels from cavern roof.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 04:54:17 pm »

Cave in the whole roof.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »

Dodging doesn't affect cave-ins, and they travel instantaneously, so if it's under a collapse it's dead.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 07:59:33 pm »

then its the FASTEST MOTHER FUCKER YOU'VE EVER SEEN. and to bring down an entire level... thats the dwarven NUKE

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 10:54:26 pm »

Even tilesets won't change much. Graphic packs might add a little oval with squiggly lines attatched every so often, which you then want to catch, tame, and use to farm silk. They say the first step to overcome a fear is to use the object of your fear to kill goblins!...Wait, only I say that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »

Even tilesets won't change much. Graphic packs might add a little oval with squiggly lines attatched every so often, which you then want to catch, tame, and use to farm silk. They say the first step to overcome a fear is to use the object of your fear to kill goblins!...Wait, only sane people say that.

Fixed that for you.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 [2] 3