Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How bad are the spiders?  (Read 2888 times)

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How bad are the spiders?
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:41 am »

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm am arachnophobe and I have to ask, How bad are the spiders on this game? I'm ok with small ones and certain big ones so long as they don't look real at all... I'm I ok to play this game?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: How bad are the spiders?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:54:18 am »

Unless you're using a tile set, nothing in this game has realistic graphics.  Small spiders are dots and large spiders are capital 'S' letters.  That by itself should't set off your phobia.  On the other hand, Giant Cave Spiders will horribly kill your dwarves if you let them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:00:50 am »

Oh thank god, If I was to use a tile set however would the results be horrific?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:04:20 am »

Oh thank god, If I was to use a tile set however would the results be horrific?
Depends on the one tbh, but any tile set will still just be tiny pixel art of a spider and not look anything real at all.
Nom nom nom

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:10:26 am »

There really are no HD tile sets so I doubt your Arachnophobia will really care about the ingame spiders.
Also,

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:22:22 am »

Of course, if you have an extremely vivid imagination, you might want to avoid reading combat logs with giant cave spiders, lest you be constantly reminded of how eight-legged and venomous they are.

Also,
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:44:09 am »

I felt lucky when I opened the first spoiler and saw nothing, now I'm not even gonna bother opening them...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:52:58 am »

If your arachnophobia is so bad that you're worried about depictions of spiders in a video game then you should probably get help.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:24:13 am »

Come on man. There are lots of people with severe phobias.

Just because they don't make sense to you doesn't mean people should "get help."
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 11:41:19 am »

The fact that he actually opened the spoiler shows that he isn't that far gone..

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 11:43:14 am »

If your arachnophobia is so bad that you're worried about depictions of spiders in a video game then you should probably get help.

It would be a massive waste of time for something which only really hinders me on video games, Spiders round here are nothing at all...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 11:48:45 am »

Come on man. There are lots of people with severe phobias.

Just because they don't make sense to you doesn't mean people should "get help."

You think I was trying to be mean or make a joke? I was being serious. And phobias don't make sense by definition, not just to me but to the phobics themselves (some situations fill me with disproportionate anxiety myself, perhaps to the point of me having some phobias, so I know what I'm talking about), so that isn't an argument.

It would be a massive waste of time for something which only really hinders me on video games, Spiders round here are nothing at all...

Now wait a second. You know the spiders where you live are harmless, so you aren't scared around them, but you're worried about pixel depictions of spiders that are even more harmless? This tells me this whole thread has been a joke.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:56:51 am »

I figured you were serious but it's not your phobia. It's not your place to tell people to get help.

I'm not going to start an argument over this though. Whatever reason Rawb had for this thread; his question has been answered. That's good enough for me.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 12:03:33 pm »

Gradual exposure to increasingly realistic depictions of the thing you're afraid of can actually be helpful for reducing your phobia.  Start with the non-graphical version of the game, where spiders are the letter S, and then once fighting them no longer freaks you out, change to the a graphical tileset with its simple, blockish representation of spiders.  My wife has a severe phobia of flying, stinging insects.  She plays the City of Heroes MMORPG.  One of the higher-level enemies has an attack where they summon swarms of bees.  The first time she met them, she freaked out and had to stop playing, even though it was't much more than a cloud of brown dots on a computer screen.  She eventuall went back and kept playing, and was eventually desensitized to them to the degree that she could fight the giant scythe-fly-looking things from LOTRO without getting scared.  She still screams if a wasp flies past while we're outside, but it's a lot less than it used to be.  So the little letter 'S' on the screen and tiny pixellated spiders could actually help you with your phobia eventually.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 12:07:29 pm »

I figured you were serious but it's not your phobia. It's not your place to tell people to get help.

I'm not telling, as in, ordering, him to do nothing. I said that it would be advisable ("you probably should") to get help, but of course that is now moot since he probably started this thread as a joke.

I'm not going to start an argument over this though.

Good to know. Note how the person whom I supposedly offended isn't the one making a fuss over this Mickey Mouse bullshit. That should tell you something.
Pages: [1] 2 3