Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the topic of mining  (Read 1117 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the topic of mining
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:03:27 am »

So far i just had my best DF game ever. i hit 228 dwarves max (up from a max of around 70), i got pumps working (dwarf power though), i learned how to channel properly (without cave ins), i was breeding dogs and had a leather industry of sorts going (with bone carving on the side  ;) ) and i made many, many more advancements and such, but the point is at the moment - Mining.

i use the mining on the wiki, the staircase every three blocks, which reveals every square. now it takes a lot of time and effort to mine a single level, so should i be mining width or depth when looking for new minerals? will z level x contain mostly all the same ores given in a sample section, therefore i should go on to examining x level y, or should i expand my search on z level x?

How do you forum goers do your mining when searching for new ores? (this was a major issue in my fort as i had an abundance of gold and iron, but no fuels or fluxes) (i found marble very late game but i had lost by then pretty much lol)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of mining
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:11:34 am »

How do you forum goers do your mining when searching for new ores?

I just dig out a cross through the center of each embark tile - basically guaranteed to hit any large clusters or veins, and a pretty good number of small clusters too.

As for the mineral generation, each stone layer in a given biome contains the same ores throughout, so if you want to know what's in each stone layer you probably only need to mine through one level of each.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:16:36 am »

I mine like this:

Code: [Select]
#_#########
#_________#
#_#########
#_#########
#_________#
#_#########
I know it's pretty inefficient dwarfwork-wise, but it's easy to designate.
Also, since most ore occures in long veins, you can get away with only revealing a small portion of tiles, then mining out the ore as you find it.

Ore type is based on biome. If your fortress area has several biomes, digging around a single z-level will reveal the types of ore each has. You can then look at where one biome ends and another begins, and isolate your digging to the biomes with ore that you want.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:23 am »

I blatantly cheat, using DFHack's Reveal function to show me precisely where everything is, then just dig to them as I need to  ;D

More to the point, stone happens to form strata, each typically 2-4 z-levels thick. The strata might be bent or folded, depending on the layout of the surface and how it's sloped, but the strata exist. Each stratum will have a particular set of minerals within it which varies depending on the site and what the layer stone the stratum is made from is. For instance, sedimentary strata can have magnetite and/or coal in them, but not every sedimentary strata will. On the other hand, no igneous or metamorphic strata will have those stone types. The up shot is that if you find a stratum that happens to have a stone type that you like in it, restricting your exploratory mining to that stratum is vastly more likely to be profitable than going to other strata.

Also, if you're getting annoyed at having to designate the exploratory mining by hand, you might consider making a macro to do it for you.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:55:14 am »

I have a macro set up for mining, its great :D. It's just taking ages to mine large areas, even with it xD.

I could really use a good site with sedimentary layers again like i had one game, i had steel and fuels and fluxes, it was really good, noob friendly site.

Is there any way to see what metals will be at an embark site? because it says 'Shallow metals' and 'deep metals' now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:16:25 am »

i'd like to know that too. Cobaltite shouldnt be qualified as metal!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »

Eh I tend to make one long vertical shaft and make a grid on the level I think might be interesting. When the new game version finally launches I'll be switching to multiple vertical shafts though, since it's more effecient whilst not impossible to do with new multi z level designtions.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:48:58 pm »

I channel huge pits.

From these pits I dig exploration tunnels in all manner of directions. Once I find a vein I mine it out completely and then make more tunnels.
 Eventually I get a massive complex of tunnels.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:30:37 pm »

When the new game version finally launches I'll be switching to multiple vertical shafts though, since it's more effecient whilst not impossible to do with new multi z level designtions.
You can do multi-level designations with the mouse, as long as they're a single tile. If you designate something with the mouse and keep the button held down as you change levels, the designation gets applied to the new level.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:12:00 am »

Exploratory mining is sooo previous version.

In 31 stone layer either doesnt contain an ore or it contains insane amounts of it. If you remember the distribution of biomes on your site, then you should be able to discover what you have and what you dont have, with 100% certainty very quickly.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 10:36:43 am »

Hmmm...  Maybe this is what I dont understand, then - I keep exploring huge empty layers, thinking "Well, maybe there could be ore way over in that far unexplored corner!" Sounds like my initial dig-a-big-cross-then-move-to-the-next-layer is the best after all.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:03 am »

I use SteelMod_31_25_13.zip to make DF more playable. 

- Adds Anthracite Coal to metamorphic layers.
- Allows the use of Graphite as a high quality source of carbon in steel making.

I still do a lot of exploration mining. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58:22 am »

i make huge sweeping grids. shift + any direction. I dont catch many gems or small clusters, but most of the time they are not what i'm after anyway. My gem industry is decidedly lacking since i now have 2 legendary cooks and a lot of giant panda, giant badger, dog and sheep meat, not to mention plant products and the occasional fish and eggs.... its a multimillion industry. I wish i could farm potatoes. fish, chips, eggs and sausage.... Shell, lead and bone crafts fill the gaps, my people are happy with silver statues and furniture
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.