Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot Build Wall on top of Floor  (Read 3084 times)

Darkmot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cannot Build Wall on top of Floor
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:32:25 pm »

Hello, I'm new here.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem build wall on top of constructed floor. I'm trying to build upperground fortress. So I built enterance to underground, build some wall around it, and build floor at the open space above.

Now when I tried to build a wall on top of constructed floor, it says "Construction present". Am I missing something?

1st floor

2nd floor

As you can see, I've already built Fortifications around it. So it seems I can build things on top of walls, but cannot build on top of constructed floor. Why is this?

Thanks before

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Build Wall on top of Floor
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:50:35 pm »

You can build a Construction on top of the floors created by a constructed Wall, but not a constructed Floor.
If you want to build walls, decontruct the floors first (you can do this through the [d]esignations menu).

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:25:48 am »

You can build a Construction on top of the floors created by a constructed Wall, but not a constructed Floor.
If you want to build walls, decontruct the floors first (you can do this through the [d]esignations menu).

More generally, any (x,y,z) tile coordinate allows any single construction.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Darkmot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:40:12 am »

So if I want to build a walled room say, here:

I must build wall here?

That seems... Inconvenient? So I cannot have multiple uppergrounds room with different layout?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:54:29 am »

No, you just need to remove the floors. The floors that will be next to the walls will support the walls so you don't need to do what you're describing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:54:51 am »

Be careful while deconstructing, though. Cave-ins can be really nasty in this kind of setup.

And yes, it makes constructing an overground fortress really slow and painful. But it's feasible.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:47:45 am »

you can build walls NEXT to the floors made by a lower wall, creating, potentially, an inverted pyramid. You can also build wall or floor along the inside of the "floor" created by the wall. The top of the wall already acts as floor, no further work is needed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Darkmot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:57:36 am »

No, you just need to remove the floors. The floors that will be next to the walls will support the walls so you don't need to do what you're describing.

AHHHH I SEEEEE!!!!! Now I get it. Wow. Someone should put that on wiki, since no way I can figure that alone.

Thanks everyone.  :)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:27:58 am »

AHHHH I SEEEEE!!!!! Now I get it. Wow. Someone should put that on wiki, since no way I can figure that alone.

Thanks everyone.  :)

i figured it out alone, by accident, true
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 11:27:56 am »

Just make sure with your design there that you leave at least one piece of floor until you get some of the walls built. Elsewise you will end up with a bunch of floors that are surrounded completely by empty space, followed shortly after by "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" and "Urist had died in a cave-in! x15".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Darkmot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:35:28 pm »

Just make sure with your design there that you leave at least one piece of floor until you get some of the walls built. Elsewise you will end up with a bunch of floors that are surrounded completely by empty space, followed shortly after by "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" and "Urist had died in a cave-in! x15".

Thanks, I've already thought about that. But now that I think of it, it's easier to design now. And to build wall you only need 1 stone material, not 1 stone for floor and 1 stone for wall as I previously thought.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 05:09:09 am »

on that, if you want to make fortifications (to shoot through), build a wall and then (d) (a) carve the fortifications in it. 1: it gives engravers more skill
2: you dont need to build a floor above the fortifications. constructed fortifications do NOT have an automatic floor above them, while walls carved into fortifications do. Yes, this matters