Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Creative uses for water? (And other water discussions)  (Read 8474 times)

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: Creative uses for water?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 03:44:36 am »

I use water for my migrant sorting system and clothes manufactory.

Apparently I need to use something other than grates, though, because the migrant corpses keep somehow passing through them with the draining water.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:06:57 pm by Doughnut189 »
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 06:11:08 am »

Dwarfs will most definitely walk through waterfalls - I had an awesome fort in which I accidentally-on-purpose dug into an aquifer directly above my entrance, and everyone walked through it just fine.

(Well except for that caravan that was just arriving)
I also had that, replaced most floors with grates and built a giant waterfall system for the whole fort.
Things got dorfy once syndromes arrived though.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 07:15:25 am »

Well, my current project involves digging a large hole around my fort and flooding it to create a massive lake in the desert...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 08:01:40 am »

I caught a dwarf drinking it, once.

You ought to burn for letting a dwarf drink water.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 10:03:53 am »

So if dwarves walk through waterfalls, and I had a huge reservoir above and below my fort, draining through the top into the bottom on certain areas of my fort, would this work as a sort of syndrome barrier?

EDIT: to clarify this would work as the sort of channel with 2/7 water that washes dwarves, just it is a wall of waterfalls that will drain off the map.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:06:27 am by tommy521 »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Creative uses for water? (And other water discussions)
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 10:17:13 am »

Yes, all extracts, along with any other contaminants (such as blood, mud, or dust) will be washed into the reservoir.
EDIT: to clarify this would work as the sort of channel with 2/7 water that washes dwarves, just it is a wall of waterfalls that will drain off the map.
It'll work with just a small channel. Nobody will get contaminated by the stuff in the water.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:27:33 am by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 11:15:36 am »

INITIATE THREAD DERAILMENT PROCEDURE ALPHA

OBOK MEATGOD HAS A CRUNDLE

On topic:

public baths, giant super-soaker, water-powered yak cannon.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 11:37:42 am »

Wait, there's a water thread,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »

I'll just leave this here ...

I'd add to the actual topic, but other than a mist water fall through the dining hall that falls from a pump stack pulling from below the dining hall that is powered by a waterwheel turned by water that just fell through the dining hall, I got nothing really creative in a good DF manner at the moment.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 01:27:28 pm »

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 03:17:48 pm »

What I've wanted to try is making a constantly flooding entrance hallway and barracks inside a multi-layer aquifer with natural pillars spaced about 3 spaces apart in the top layer and the water draining down into a lower layer aquifer through grates. Make sure the only way into the caverns and basement is through this hallway, so that any forgotten beast, demon and titan syndromes are automatically washed off. And the glory of the elves' first impression of the fortress being the perpetually flooding halls, of course. I also like the idea of my military having to constantly train in such an environment.
I haven't gotten this to work yet, mostly do to poor management or all aquifers I encounter being only one layer, but I think it should be possible.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2011, 03:55:00 pm »

The eyes...
THE EYES!!!!!!!
AAAHHH!!!! THE EYES!!!!
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 04:04:44 pm »

Drip water into a volcano
Blast invaders off catwalk with cave-in dust
?
!!Invaders!!
then nothing

also massive FPS loss when active.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »

Well, thanks to everyone's input I attempted to make a large waterfall in my dining room on my above ground fort. That's where things got Fun. I was using the wiki's design
and had put my shutoff lever inside one of the maintenance areas. I had not thought to make sure the gear assembly was disabled before making the final axel, and the bad position of the lever, my entire fortress was drowned or stuck somewhere that would not be able to escape. So I knocked out the one support holding the whole fortress up and let me tell you, subsequent destruction was delicious, and a bit watery. Next time I think I'll use magma.

EDIT: And a Fun little mishap happened when a dwarf decided it would be a good idea to open one of the water containment doors as the upper fortress flooded. I thought the fort may have had hope yet...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:59:36 pm by tommy521 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4