Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orcs Must Die! IE: Holy shit this game is fun  (Read 4174 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Orcs Must Die! IE: Holy shit this game is fun
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:49 pm »

Seriously, has anybody tried it? It's like tower-defence, only you're the Zap Brannigan of War-Mages and you get to tear shit up with your magic spells, bladestaff and energy crossbow. IT'S AWESOME. Oh, and I guess it has some pretty good humor in it too.

Regular orcs are basically delicious pieces of XP you can use to make yourself more awesome.

I got it around 5:30 today, I've only stopped playing now to open up this thread. It's really, really, fun.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs Must Die! IE: Holy shit this game is fun
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »

I played the demo, it was fun but it seemed like one of those games that'll be fun until you beat it and then have no real replay value, I'm waiting until it gets a price drop.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:56:04 pm »

How much?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:33:10 am »

This is actually at the top of my must buy list when it comes on sale.  :)  Glad to hear its pretty good!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:40:00 am »

I got it after watching TotalBiscuit's WTF is on it. Pretty fun really. Replay value is kinda meh but once you beat the normal modes -  you unlock a hard mode which is... actually pretty hard
The Dread Pirate

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 01:01:04 am »

As above, I'll wait for a sale, but was certainly interested.  The push panels looked like a lot of fun, throw orcs into a spike wall!

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 01:54:04 am »

Its preatty good, but as some said, it has no replay value, Its better designed than Dungeon Defenders in my opinion, but better doesnt nesesairly lasts longer.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »

You are right, this game is ridiculously fun!  I picked it up during the sale and its been great.

Also I love it when you are using spells, the apprentice pretends his hands are guns like a kid.  :D

It seems you could probably get a lot more replay value if you try to up your score rankings.  I spent an hour last night experimenting on how to increase my scores on one level.

Edit:  I love the orc's dialog as well.  The whole thing feels very polished and complete.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:13:44 pm by Levi »

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:09:03 pm »

Great game, but like other people said not a lot of replay value. I enjoyed it MUCH more than Dungeon Defenders.

Three things that could really extend it - coop, endless waves (survival mode), and a map editor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »

I bought this because it looked a lot like Dungeon Defenders, which I enjoy thoroughly (I dislike the leveling up length and somewhat forced co-op), so I plan on trying this eventually. Just wanted to know what to expect in relation to Dungeon Defenders.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 12:39:32 pm »

I bought this because it looked a lot like Dungeon Defenders, which I enjoy thoroughly (I dislike the leveling up length and somewhat forced co-op), so I plan on trying this eventually. Just wanted to know what to expect in relation to Dungeon Defenders.

It's much more streamlined, it feels less clunky, the interface is better, the graphics are (IMO) better, and the traps and 'towers' are more diverse and interesting (again, IMO).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:20:32 pm »

Picked it up during the Steam sale, and I'm really happy with it. I'd been looking forward to it ever since I played it at E3 this summer. Although I must say some of the traps seem to be a better use of money than others. Still, it's fun playing around with the different options.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 11:17:35 pm »

I'm trying to get 5 stars on all the normal levels.  It goes like this:

Hmm, maybe a kill zone here with some swinging mace traps.
4 STARS

Hmm, maybe a bunch of archers and balistas, constantly firing at the enemies.
4 STARS

Hmm, if I get set up some mudpits and grinders...
4 STARS

Sigh.  Fine.  I'll spam 15 knights all over the entrance like every other level that gives me trouble.

5 STARS, RECORD TIME, YOU WIN AGAIN.

Dang it all.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 02:43:57 am »

I've 5 starred all but the finale and some of the DLC I haven't tried yet, my strategy is basically: Barricade extra paths ASAP, get weapon upgrade from weaver. Obliterate first 3-5 waves at chokepoint, place a few tar pits and favored damage traps as necessary. That's basically it, really. Once you have upgraded weapon, +max health and weapon kill = mana you can basically destroy everything on your own via ice ring and crossbow stun. Throw in the spell and ice upgrade whenever you like. The only thing to watch out for here is gnolls and suicide kobolds. Gnolls are easy to kill but they can apparently go around barricades and kill your guardians when you're not paying attention. not a huge loss but annoying. suicide kobolds actually straight up target barricades at seemingly random opportunity, gotta watch that.

I'm still having trouble with the finale though, it's really hard to adapt a new strategy when the one you've used works every time. What's everyone else's general strategy? Doubt I'm the only one that stuck to a certain battle plan.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 02:55:39 am »

Sigh.  Fine.  I'll spam 15 knights all over the entrance like every other level that gives me trouble.

Stealing your tactic.
Pages: [1] 2