Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fall trap Question  (Read 1510 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
fall trap Question
« on: November 19, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »

does length fallen increes death potential.

i got a huge half map long dwarven drop zone. mr goblin fell 7 level and 1/2 did not die of the fall(well some died of there wonds 3 days later)
but i want to know if i make it 10 levels will it kill 100%
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 09:07:39 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: fall trap Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:01:34 pm »

I think you mean 7 levels not 70. Anyways yes, how far a creature falls does determine how much damage and its chance of taking damage when it hits the ground. At 3 levels most creatures can make it unharmed or only slightly injured, at 5 pretty much everyone is injured, 7 kills a few and heavily injures most, and 10 will kill most creatures and only the toughest and luckiest will survive. By the time you get over 10 just about everything dies.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:11:27 pm »

I think you mean 7 levels not 70. Anyways yes, how far a creature falls does determine how much damage and its chance of taking damage when it hits the ground. At 3 levels most creatures can make it unharmed or only slightly injured, at 5 pretty much everyone is injured, 7 kills a few and heavily injures most, and 10 will kill most creatures and only the toughest and luckiest will survive. By the time you get over 10 just about everything dies.

so thanks 10 z-lvl will be a 90% kill rate. my 7 z-lvl one haze about a 60% slaughter rate with a 20% mortal wound rate and a 20% walking/cralling/limping/draging up the stairs.

1 more qustion if i have 2 weapon traps blocking the stairs up will it make the trap neer 99.99% kill

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »

In my experience, fifteen or more vertical levels will have a one-hundred percent kill rate. And generally explosive removal of limbs.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 10:47:04 pm »

In my experience, fifteen or more vertical levels will have a one-hundred percent kill rate. And generally explosive removal of limbs.

DAMN, that is fucking cruel. that is just messed up!!!. THAT IS SO FUCKING DWARFY!!! that in just harsh

thats so fucking harsh its awesome cruel.

thumbs up

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 11:54:50 pm »

Yeah, I have a 17z execution pit. Remains are often in five to six pieces.

Goblin Elite Crossbowman's head
Goblin Elite Crossbowman's mutilated corpse
Goblin Elite Crossbowman's arms x2
Goblin elite crossbowman's legs x2.

Makes for a very quick execution. :D
I sometimes throw animals to be slaughtered down there, where there is a butcher's shop waiting to process it. Very efficient >_>

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 12:24:37 am »

.... I sometimes throw animals to be slaughtered down there, where there is a butcher's shop waiting to process it. Very efficient >_>

In these cases, it's especially handy for the bone-stack and raw hide yields.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:41 am »

Even more brutal, Jaxler, is the Dodge-Me trap. A ramp that leads up to an entrance. Filled with weapon traps. 5-10z drop on either side of the bridge. Weapon traps will either mince invaders or cause the more skilled ones to dodge off the edge of the bridge, either dying or getting injured. By providing a ramp back up, they'll attempt to enter again and get either minced or dodged. Rince and repeat until broken siege.

Bay 12 Forums takes no responsibility for Legendary Dodgers fighting up there and accidentally tumbling off.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:36:02 am »

Even more brutal, Jaxler, is the Dodge-Me trap. A ramp that leads up to an entrance. Filled with weapon traps. 5-10z drop on either side of the bridge. Weapon traps will either mince invaders or cause the more skilled ones to dodge off the edge of the bridge, either dying or getting injured. By providing a ramp back up, they'll attempt to enter again and get either minced or dodged. Rince and repeat until broken siege.

Bay 12 Forums takes no responsibility for Legendary Dodgers fighting up there and accidentally tumbling off.
Yeah, up until that one goblin swords master works his way through all of your traps, becoming a Legendary+5 dodger and then proceeds to mince your entire military since they can't touch him. It would be like pitting neo against a bunch of normal people, it just wouldn't end well (of course the chance of that happening is nigh zero, but that doesn't mean that something like this *beware spoilers* can't happen on that 1 in a million time.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 01:48:01 pm »

thats why you have a death pit at the end!!!

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 08:22:12 am »

Yeah, I have a 17z execution pit. Remains are often in five to six pieces.

Goblin Elite Crossbowman's head
Goblin Elite Crossbowman's mutilated corpse
Goblin Elite Crossbowman's arms x2
Goblin elite crossbowman's legs x2.

Makes for a very quick execution. :D
I sometimes throw animals to be slaughtered down there, where there is a butcher's shop waiting to process it. Very efficient >_>

making it 18z's with a few floor grates on 17 won't make a difference there, right?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:40:46 am »

Well, it will. The items/bodyparts will collect on the grate, and the blood seeps through I *think* but I could be wrong.

Be very, very careful when collecting from the pit, as if something thrown down there lands on a dwarf, both are completely uninjured but stunned. I had a swordsmaster run rampant through the fort because he landed on a cat.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »

Yeah, up until that one goblin swords master works his way through all of your traps, becoming a Legendary+5 dodger and then proceeds to mince your entire military since they can't touch him. It would be like pitting neo against a bunch of normal people, it just wouldn't end well (of course the chance of that happening is nigh zero, but that doesn't mean that something like this *beware spoilers* can't happen on that 1 in a million time.)

cage trap at the end
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 04:00:26 pm »

cage trap at the end

EDIT
cage trap 3x
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:06:11 pm by jaxler »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 04:09:25 pm »

Dang, I thought 10 levels would be enough...looks like not quite 100%. I can't go down any more because of cavern layer )I tend to always get high caverns, not sure why, my worlds are normally generated).

Looks like I need to invest in a hallway with weapon/cage traps for any survivors.
Pages: [1] 2