Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Place wagon, THEN freeze water  (Read 1181 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Place wagon, THEN freeze water
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:56:33 am »

Simple idea. Have the wagon placed, and then freeze the water on the map. This would a. make sense, b. keep dwarves from dying because there is a murky pool in the center of the embark that is frozen for the first few frames of every year, and c. hypothetically not require adding a lot of new code, just shuffling around what's already there.

Thoughts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Place wagon, THEN freeze water
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:15:40 am »

Or, embark in summer...
This is a blank sig.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:37:09 am »

Or not empark on a lake

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:40:36 am »

Or, embark in summer...
We embark on the 1st of Granite, the beginning of the Dwarven year. I don't mind that in the least.

Or not embark on a lake
I've had dwarves start on frozen rivers and even a couple frozen murky pools, and heard of other such incidents from others. And I like wide, open expanses of water to build stuff on.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 08:42:01 am »

I've had dwarves start on frozen rivers and even a couple frozen murky pools, and heard of other such incidents from others. And I like wide, open expanses of water to build stuff on.
I meant that you just shouldnt put the wagon on the water.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 09:11:16 am »

Ah...Also a possibility.
Sig

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:19:15 am »

A solution would to be shifting the seasons back one month so it is equal to our own, but then again, in the olden times years (cycles) were from the start of Spring to the End of Winter...

Wait, how did we get to the point where the end of the year is in the middle of Winter/Summer *hemispheres pending
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 11:59:41 pm »

A solution would to be shifting the seasons back one month so it is equal to our own, but then again, in the olden times years (cycles) were from the start of Spring to the End of Winter...

Wait, how did we get to the point where the end of the year is in the middle of Winter/Summer *hemispheres pending

Same reason your astrological sign is no longer correct: the orientation of the Earth's axis rotates slowly. Basically, in ~13000 years northern hemisphere's summer equinox (mid-summer) will be in December.

Wikipedia: Precession (Astronomy)

Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 12:20:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

+1
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 04:43:48 am »

What about simply making ice ineligible terrain for wagon placement instead of doing hacky stuff like reordering events.

Also, +1 to being able to embark in summer (or at any given date)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:21:04 am »

It seems to me that re-ordering events like I described would have the same effect, without needing any new code to check if the ground is made out of ice.
Sig

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:49:26 am »

It seems to me that re-ordering events like I described would have the same effect, without needing any new code to check if the ground is made out of ice.

That assumes it is viable thing to do.

For example, there can be important steps between temperature calculations and placing wagon that must be done before placing wagon and after temperatures are set.

Also, simple stuff like this leads to weird issues more often than not. Writing new code that makes sense is not something you should try to avoid. Especially if other option is hack.