Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236101 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #960 on: February 23, 2012, 12:47:36 am »

Jaxler was shocked to hear Granite say he idolized him for the second time. Jaxler was a both scared and happy to know that a Granite actually "idolized" him. Jaxler knew he had problems, and that those problems were far more numerous than a normal pony. so this came as a shock to him. he never really saw himself as a rolemodel and he honestly didn't think he deserved to be one. But regardless he still felt overjoyed to know that sompony genuinely cared about him. 

"If I just don't use your name then nothing will happen, they will probably just assume it was the teacher or some onlooker, but anyway that can wait till tomorrow. I think it's about time I go get a drink, would you like to come with?"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:13:07 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 23, 2012, 12:55:10 am »

"Sure! A drink wouldn't be half bad right now!"

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 23, 2012, 08:36:29 am »

"great"

((end of scene?))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:01:58 am by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 23, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »

I get to drink with my hero!

((Yup, end scene))

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 24, 2012, 10:57:48 am »

I find this thread very amusing. It practically writes itself with little input from Telgin :D

I especially enjoy Stiletto's double romance. At this rate her room is going to need a bigger bed (In game terms: two beds next to each other) :P .

I also like it that for the most part ponies are nice, and there is little malice.

@ Telgin:
Looks like above ground fort is quite a challenge. I kinda like the random assortment of buildings. This is what I normally do, and this is what happens with villages growing by themselves. Planning usually comes later. While in DF in general moving around workshops and stockpiles is very easy, and more so with grid layout, moving above ground buildings around is probably not an option, so that might be a bit of a problem, when You run out of space. Second stories, and one-level cellars should take care of that, tough. 

I rather like Your design of blocks of flats, and windows are a nice touch.

Your fortress could use a pony bath. Traditionally it is a trench with 3/7 water in a place where ponies go often, like the dining room. Tough above ground fort and getting caught in the rain frequently works too, I guess.

As for a well, I'd dig a tile under a wall, place fortification there, channel to get water from moat inside walls, bridge over it outside walls, and build the well inside walls with a ramp nearby to get out, and walls and traffic designations to prevent drowning.

The theme of the fortress was supposed to be mining iron, so I think You should be exporting steel to Your home civilization.

Your updates could use more pictures. Occasional maps are good, but stocks screen, and Dwarf Therapist spreadsheet would be nice too.

I like the quality of you pictures. Especially the big ones, but even Your pony avatars look impressive.

I also like Your general policy on naming ponies.

It is also OK, if You occasionally post some technical details, like editing Your game to have armoured cruppers for ponies.

As for Falcata I propose that You revise her equipment and give her "terminator armour" - as much steel and leather as will fit a pony. This will both slow her down, and give her better protection.

Glittergarden has almost 10k posts now, so it is not feasible for me to read it. It took me a few days to even catch up with this thread, currently at 65 pages.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:16:35 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:30 am »

Thanks, glad you like it so far. :D

And those are all good suggestions.  I've been expanding the housing by floors and I'm currently on the third floor of the main housing area.  The other buildings will probably be getting second floors soon too, and I've still got to finish the keep (Virtue and Harvest Moon's eventual home when they become baron and baroness).

A pony bath and new well are also good ideas and things that I'd planned on adding sooner or later.  I'm not very experienced with moving water or using mechanics in the game, so I've been putting off making something like a waterfall, but I think eventually that's what I'll end up doing.  Tapping the moat for a new bigger well is also in order.

I also came to the realization that I haven't been living up to the mining colony thing too well.  I planned on exporting iron and steel when I became a barony, to sort of give the colony some start up time.  That's taking a while though, so I may start next time the liaison shows up.

Also glad you like the pictures.  I just wish I had more time to make them, or work on this fort in general.  I also agree that the updates could use more screen caps, but it's tough to decide what's worth posting.  I don't use Dwarf Therapist, so no screens from that. :)  I think a stocks screen shot might be helpful though.

Falcata is definitely getting an armor upgrade of some sort.  I like the idea of a terminator armored pony but I suppose I'll settle for three layers of mail shirts and tons of leather cloaks draped on her.  And possibly having her hang back a bit before any fighting starts.  She's one of my best soldiers, I don't want her dead, heh.

And yes, Glitterglen has an amazingly large number of posts.  If you tried to get into it now, you'd be completely lost.

Oh, and vkiNm, I'll try and take a look at the available pegasus mares again when I get a chance.  Currently spending most of my free time studying for my Ph.D qualifying exam, so I won't be spending much time on Dawnpick until next week. :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 24, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:14:37 pm by Omicega »

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 24, 2012, 03:29:16 pm »

Oh, and vkiNm, I'll try and take a look at the available pegasus mares again when I get a chance.  Currently spending most of my free time studying for my Ph.D qualifying exam, so I won't be spending much time on Dawnpick until next week. :(

no problem, RL first yes? ;) we want you to enjoy this just as much as we want to enjoy it :)
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 24, 2012, 04:25:33 pm »

( srry for my absence but skyrim is awesome.
people i need material!)
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:41 pm »

I sit in the dining hall, scribbling various mechanical designs and slowly covering the table in loose paper.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 24, 2012, 05:35:47 pm »

Jaxler woke up in his bed after a night of drinking. He got out and grabbed his crossbow when he remembered that the armed forces had the next couple days off. he was a bit disappointed to realize that he could have slept another four hours but decided not to get back in bed and walked out his door. when he got outside he was completely surprised to realize that the sun didn't burn and that the birds chirping didn't make his head ache. With this in mind, he started to think of ways to waste the day when he realized that he never really checked on Falcata. so he walked over to the meeting hall hoping to find her. when he saw her in the building he walked over. "hay Falcata"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:07:42 pm by jaxler »

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 24, 2012, 05:38:26 pm »

Glaive's Journal

Sitting outside the Hospital as I write this. The captain says it's important to debrief asap after a battle, while the details are still fresh. We where preparing the trap for the monster's from the depths, but when our miner took out the last bit of the wall. We were caught by surprise, apparently his digging had attracted the attention of the monsters and they broke through before it was clear. Falcata rushed into the fray to protect them. The rest of us tried to follow, but we aren't as fast as her. She struck one of the titans a good couple of times, but it's exoskeleton protected it well. Then it grabbed Falcata by the throat, and began to try and crush it. She tried to fight it, but I think she blacked out from lack of air. When I saw what it was doing to her, I lost control. I don't remember the details of the fight after that. All I could see was red. When I regained my sanity, I was standing over the remains of one of the beasts while the rest of the army where near the other, I saw Falcata injured there on the ground, and I helped get her to the hospital. One of her hooves is mangled, and her neck is visibly cut, though the external bleeding is minor. I wanted to stay with her, but Pancea insisted I give her some room to work.

I can't believe that I gave in to my anger like that though. That hasn't happened since Balisong died. I thought I'd learned to control myself better than that by now. Father and Grandfather always taught me, "Don't get angry. Getting angry will get you dead." I guess I got lucky this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day sometime after Falcata has been released from the hospital, and life has returned to some semblance of normality for our bearded unicorn, Glaive stands in the dinning hall, a mug of ale floating next to him. He looks out but doesn't see Falcata, 'I guess she's training, or on patrol, oh well,' he thinks to himself. He spies a nearly empty table, with an earthpony working over some papers. 'He's the furnace operator right? What's his name again?'

Glaive take a seat at the same table as the earthpony. "Good afternoon." he says as he takes his seat.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 24, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

I start when I hear the new voice, and start again when I realize it's that militia pony with the impressive facial hair who's talking to me.

"Oh!  Um, hello?  Uh, it's a good afternoon, I guess?"
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 24, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »

"Sorry to interrupt your work, I didn't mean to startle you." Glaive takes a sip from his mug. "My name is Glaive by the way. What's yours?"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 24, 2012, 05:56:04 pm »

"Um, Flux."

'Glaive, why does that sound familiar?'

My eyes widen when I realize where I had heard that name before.

"Wait, Glaive?!  You killed one of those huge things underground!"

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 239