Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236451 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #3225 on: May 19, 2012, 12:34:19 am »

Jaxler sighed... "I-i'm sorry..."
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: May 19, 2012, 12:38:12 am »

For the first time down there, my expression softens.

"It's alright.  Just remember you're not alone..."

I give him the barest hint of a smile.

"...and try to stop doing things that need to be apologized for."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: May 19, 2012, 12:40:39 am »

"How am I going to fix myself..."

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: May 19, 2012, 12:43:31 am »

"Just remember: You aren't alone."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: May 19, 2012, 12:48:56 am »

"Do you think there is any chance of me getting my crossbow back, of Granite not hating me, and for me to repent"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: May 19, 2012, 12:55:40 am »

"The crossbow... maybe, but... a long shot.  Granite, definitely.  To Repent... that one's up to you."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: May 19, 2012, 01:31:58 am »

Jaxler was finally starting to calmed down. The pony walked over uneasily to the cell bars and sat down, leaning his back on the bars. The walls still seemed to be moving. "I kinda get claustrophobic... I can't handle fear, stress, or guilt well without my crossbow..."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: May 19, 2012, 01:36:47 am »

I reach a hoof through the bars to rest it on Jaxler's withers.

"It's not the crossbow that helped you with that, Jaxler.  It was a friend.  And it's not your only friend."

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: May 19, 2012, 10:05:55 am »

(( Late evening, a few days after Jaxler's arrest. After Indigo presented his testimony. ))

Indigo has a bad feeling about speaking to Sarissa and is unsure how this conversation will turn out, but still wants to go through with it. He approaches her door and knocks.

Inside, the mare in question polishes her helmet. She has always been careful to keep her steel in good condition. So far, her efforts have paid off, as it had only slightly dulled over many years of wear. The magically-held rag stops mid-scrub, as its wielder takes notice of the knocks. Almost instinctively, she figures it has something to do with Jaxler. Is somepony here to question me about the incident? Or even complain to me for some reason? Placing the black helmet and cloth on the bed, the unicorn trots over to the door, "Who's there?"

"Indigo."

Sarissa couldn't remember a time, when this blue unicorn has ever come to visit her in her room. Knowing his nit-picking nature, she expects him to be here to fuss at her about something. Maybe he is going to call me out for bashing Jaxler's wing. If that's the case, I don't feel like putting up with it. She sighs, rolls her eyes and speaks through the shut door, "What do you want?"

"I'd like to talk to you. Can I come in?" Indigo is wearing a slightly tattered robe, and looks a bit uncomfortable.

"Alright..." she groans as the latch clicks. The door slowly creaks open, revealing a well-ordered and clean room. All her clothing and other personal items were tucked away in the appropriate closets or wooden cabinet drawers. The only exceptions are the set of armour sitting on the blue-and-white blanket of her bed and the cleaning supplies resting on the adjacent nightstand. On each of the four walls is an assortment of pearly-white skulls. Most belonged to badger ponies, but one is from a dragon and another from a forgotten beast. The short pony raises her eyebrow as she sizes up her guest, "What's on your mind?"

Indigo enters her room and closes the door behind him. "Well, I wanted to talk to you about the arrest. You handled it quite well and me and Falcata worried about you overreacting needlessly. The tactics of a few unicorns holding a culprit down until they either choke him or knock him unconscious works quite well. I plan to recommend training that to all the unicorns in the military and guard during the next captain's meeting. Me and Oil Macepony used to do something similar to Jaxler during our sparring, but he usually managed to escape or at least hit us back. This tactics always pissed him off too. With you it was much easier, and Stiletto did that to me alone once, so I'd say normally about three unicorns should be enough to take a pony prisoner."

"Well, thank you, I suppose," she answers as she scratches the side of her head. That's all this is about? "I'm glad to have assisted in getting that bad influence locked up. I hope Jaxler gets every bit of punishment that he deserves. He's developing a pattern of behaviour that cannot be allowed to continue."

"Well... on his best days he is good at shooting, he can fight when it counts and it was good having him with me in the caverns. He is very skilled at carving wood too. But on the other hoof, he was a disaster waiting to happen and even just having him around, drinking and making a mess of himself each morning, was pretty demoralising. Maybe... just maybe I could understand him being provoked by Jury. She can be nasty sometimes and Jaxler hates being treated like dirt. But resisting arrest and wounding guards like that? I really don't know what he was thinking. Or not thinking as the case may be. I'm pretty sure Jury will give Jaxler what was coming for him. Oh, and Granite is probably going to get some kind of punishment too."

"It'll be good to not to have to look at that pegasus' intoxicated, unconscious body sprawled around town as usual," Sarissa replies, "As for Granite, I don't have any particular views on that. Sure, he interfered somewhat with the arrest, but he's in pretty bad shape because of his actions." The mare looks at the ceiling in thought, "You might think this is strange, but I'm actually somewhat impressed that he was willing to take that bolt for Jaxler. You don't find many ponies with that level of courage. Sure, ponies say they are your friends, but what about when real danger strikes? Most of them just up and run..." Sarissa briefly recalls how she has had practically no true friends in her life except for her own father, "It's just a shame that he chose to defend Jaxler at the most inopportune time."

"The way I see it, Granite was another Jaxler in the making. Seeing his idol and himself in prison may be a wakeup call for him. At least I hope it will be. I understand what you said about him being brave and I'm sure, he'll boast about it, but I disagree. Getting involved in the fight gained him nothing and only made Jaxler more pissed in the end. As for what you said about friends... I think it is more complex than that. Some ponies may be willing to spend some time with me, help me in some ways, but won't fight or die for me. That's perfectly fine, as long as I know where I'm standing. On the other hoof, Jaxler was like a second shadow to me in the caverns and fought Dralthas with me, but otherwise we can barely stand each other. So well... my way of thinking about relations with other ponies is that there are many separate areas and many levels of trust in each of them."

"You make valid points," she admits, "The last thing I want is another Jaxler around here..."

Indigo looks around her room, feeling revulsion at the skulls, then focuses on her armour. "Do you clean that every day? Proper equipment care is one of the first things, I trained with the reserves. That, and taking it on and off and other aspects of using and maintaining it. It is very expensive, it is only borrowed to us and it is supposed to keep us alive."

She turns her head back towards the bed, "Oh, yeah, that. I make sure the metal shines, even if I haven't actually worn it in training or real combat for the day." It becomes apparent that Sarissa is a bit compulsive about keeping everything she owns neat and clean, armour included. The one exception to that rule would be her own mane, which often went uncombed. Not that it matters; most ponies only ever see her with her helmet on. Her eyes cut back to Indigo, "The reserves are an admirable effort, but I only hope that the bunch of you can improve before any actual combat happens. At least you seem to be dedicated to reaching that goal."

Indigo sighs. "I do what I can. I have no problem administering a squad, but training them is another matter. Even after years of it, we are still pretty green. I asked for our training time to be doubled a while ago, got some soldiers to train with us in their spare time, make sure we do some civilian jobs that train skills useful for the military, such as chopping wood... I also mimic training schedules of other squads, but beyond that... I have no idea what else I could do."

"If you need somepony to help kick your troops into shape, I'll be willing to volunteer for that. I have to warn you in advance, however; I won't make it easy," Sarissa puts on a devilish smirk.

"I asked other squad captains to lend me some experienced soldiers for training. Didn't Halberd tell you?" He hates me and the very idea of the reserves, so I wouldn't put it past him.

She shrugs, "I've heard nothing from him about such matters, really. I haven't heard any other other soldiers talk about it either." Not that I ever listen much to small talk.

After all the crazy things Jaxler pulled on me, I doubt you'll surprise me. "Really? Glaive, Fauchard and a few others help us sometimes and you are welcome to come and train us. Your squad doesn't train in Felsite, while mine does, so I think that will be the best time for both of us. Remember to tell me a few days beforehoof, when you want to come and what to do. I like to plan our training schedule in advance." answers Indigo With Jaxler hone, I don't expect any major arguments with you.

"Works for me," Sarissa answers, stretching her back.

"Since you asked me about the reserves, I'll tell you how they are supposed work. In New Saddle there were 3 poorly armed and trained reservists for each professional soldier. It made a difference, but there would undoubtedly be some losses in any big battle. Here there is just one squad. We have proven useful as support for other squads as well as for patrols and some auxiliary duties, freeing up real soldiers to do other things. On our own we can't do much in combat, so we often simply join another squad with it's captain assuming command over us."

"Well, it's better to have a little bit of backup versus none at all. Everypony has to start with the basics before they become professionals," the mare answered, fidgeting with a hoof. She wasn't used to having long conversations. At least not with most other Dawnpickers.

"I'd like to tell you one more thing. Maybe I misjudged you after the rainbow pony massacre. I still think you overreacted, but perhaps if you haven't, Virtue wouldn't be among the living." He swallows, looking at her skull collection again. "So now I've come to the conclusion, that you are less evil than I used to imagine. I just thought, you would like to know." Wait, that came out wrong.

Her eyes widen at first, but then quickly narrow, "...did you just call me evil?"

The blue unicorn suddenly feels uneasy under her gaze. Think of something to diffuse the situation, quick! "Well, um... that wasn't the best way to put it, but you can be awfully vicious at times..." Not helping! "And well, most ponies keep away from you. You have a really creepy skull collection. I understand these are trophies from what you killed defending Dawnpick, but they make even me uneasy. You are also quick to anger and you enjoy killing and torturing things. The rainbow pony massacre may have been your fault..."

"Now hold on just a second!" the mare interjected, "You're being awfully judgemental! You make it sound like I'm some psychopath without a conscience! I do NOT go around murdering ponies for fun! I only kill the ENEMY and then only because the circumstances demand it!" She walks closer to Indigo and points a hoof in his face, "Who are you to say that I can't enjoy my job?!"

For this kind of job, you do enjoy it too much. Indigo takes a step back. "But... I came here to tell you, that I was wrong about you and you may have some redeeming qualities. Such as caring about Lady Virtue. And you didn't kill Jaxler. I mean Falcata stopped you and you still broke his wing, but you hit him with the flat side of your axe, and you did what you could to take him alive after that. If you killed him, you would probably get away with it, so it proves, you are unwilling to kill fellow Dawnpickers." Or I dearly hope so. "And you are willing to help other ponies, when asked for it." Indigo talks really fast, then shoots her an insincere smile, trying to improve the mood. I knew, I had a bad feeling about coming here for a reason.

Sarissa huffs, head held low, "I was NOT trying to kill Jaxler!" So she had to hear that from Falcata and now from Indigo? Sarissa didn't like Jaxler, but it's not like she wanted him dead. "I only wanted to knock him unconscious!"

That's what I get for trying to be nice to mares. "But... that's exactly what I said. I had my doubts about it, but now I don't. It is good to know, you won't go on a killing rampage." says Indigo defensively and shoots her a weak smile, desperately trying to improve the mood. 

"About that Rainbow Pony thing, I'm REALLY getting sick of hearing about it! I did my duty to protect Our Lady; just as I was trained to do!"

Indigo is sweating and pushing his rump against her door. His vision darkens as he stammers. "The massacre... was horrible. I had to clean up the bodies. I had nightmares about it for months."

Realizing that she was yelling, she takes a few long breaths in an attempt to calm down. She was letting her anger get the best of her again. The mare shakes her head and groans. It is time to return to normal volume, but keep a slow, stern voice, "If dead bodies and blood bother you, Indigo, then I'm afraid that you're not in the right line of business. You don't expect to find roses and kittens on the battlefield, do you?" Sarissa's face retains the scowl as before.

Roses and kittens on the battlefield The insult is enough to snap Indigo out of his terror and he stands up to her, speaking with calm voice, but angry expression. "I can handle the butcher's shop just fine, and so can my squad. But the cleanup was another matter entirely. Those were ponies, not animals. And you really have no idea, how bad it was. Sure, we moved what was left of them to the crypts rather quickly, but we didn't have enough coffins, so the burial took weeks. By the time we were done, those ponies were crawling with maggots and stunk to the point that it was hard to breathe. Afterwards I managed to convince Virtue to at least keep around a few spare coffins, so next time it should be easier. And as it happens, I do have another line of business. A few of them, actually."

The copper unicorn stands and stares him down for a few moments, trying to think of what to say next. Perhaps he was right about that; Sarissa couldn't stand the stench of rotten carcasses any more than the next pony. Usually, the bodies of her slaughtered enemies were disposed of while still fresh. She takes a deep breath and slowly exhales, "I think we're done here..." Walking back over towards her bed, she sits down and continues the work that she had started before the blue stallion had interrupted her.

"Are you angry at me for admitting to a mistake?" asks Indigo.

She pauses from the cleaning, but keeps her face on the helmet. Her eyes quickly cut over towards the stallion, "Do you want to leave this room on your own four feet, or do I have to create a second option for your egress?" Sarissa knew that it was in everypony's best interest if this encounter was ended before she had another opportunity to reach explosion level.

Indigo takes a few steps back through her door, closes it, then goes to his room and bars his door. He doesn't bother Sarissa after that. He spends some time pondering if he was wrong about being wrong about her and other ponies were right all along, then goes to sleep.

The unicorn mare recites all that has been said moments before. Why do I even bother? Nopony really appreciates anything I do around here. Is it even worth protecting ponies that don't care about me? Sarissa pauses and sighs. No, I can't think like that. Dawnpick needs me. Virtue needs me. The foals need me. I couldn't live with myself if ponies were killed because I chose to neglect my duties. Regardless, she decides to avoid Indigo from now on if she can; he probably wouldn't be requesting her presence in training after the spat they just had, anyway.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: May 19, 2012, 06:46:09 pm »

Jaxler was laying on the ground of the cold dark prison cell. The pony hadn’t been able to sleep the last couple days. the booze he was getting from glaive was keeping him from going through withdrawal, but it wasn’t nearly enough to help him with his insomnia. Even after talking with flux, he felt horrible. Granite probably held grudge with him, Kit when she learned what Jaxler had done would probably hate him and he had put Kat in the hospital. The one thing though that was now grinding in his mind was that any day now he could be exiled. If after this many years Dawnpick kicked him out, he’d just tie his wings to his side and jump off a cloud. every moment the pony spent in the cell was horrible, and the lack of his crossbow only multiplied that horrible to a nearly unbearable level. The pony then got up fluttered his only good wing as he relocated to the corner of the cell. If the dark barren room hadn’t been pitch black, he would have just continued laying on the ground with his eyes clamped shut.

Midnight makes his way through the prison. He didn’t think he’d have to make this trek, and was far less then ready to, when he caught word of what had happened with Jaxler. It took him some time to build up the courage to pay the stallion a visit, a fact that only added to the stress he was under. He walks up to the cell, holding back a wince as he sees how bad Jaxler’s doing, and he makes a good effort to keep his smile from fading. He reaches up, and gently knocks on the cell bars. “Jaxler?”

Jaxler looked, but couldn’t see a thing in the dark room “who’s there?”

Midnight didn’t consider how dark it was until now. “It’s me, Midnight.” He replies, he opened his mouth again, stopping himself from talking. He was going to ask how Jaxler was holding up. But even a blind pony could see how bad Jaxler was doing.

“O-oh hay Midnight... heh... so how are you um... doing?”

“Fine. It was, um, not a very eventful day today. So, I thought I’m come see how you were doing.”

“Well, I think I-I’ve been worse, I really haven't gotten any sleep recently”

Midnight grimaced, hoping that Jaxler wouldn’t be able to see him in the pitch black room. “Really? I’m sorry to hear that. A... Anything I can do to help?” Midnight wasn’t sure what he’d be able to do about a sleeping problem, but he’d hate himself if he didn’t offer Jaxler a helping hoof.

“I D-don’t know... the only thing that could help right now would probably be either booze, or my crossbow...” The pony could make out an outline behind the bars, but he really couldn’t see much.

“O-oh, um, I’m sorry, but I don’t think I could be of much help.” ‘Legally’, he thought to himself. He wasn’t sure if he could really break the law, even if it’d help Jaxler .And even if he could get his hooves on that crossbow, he doubt there’d be anywhere for Jaxler to keep it hidden.

“I... I thought so...” Jaxler sighed, he probably didn’t deserve his crossbow anyway... “You know, that monster Jury had the world’s biggest smile when she was taking away my C-c-crossbow.”

Midnight winced again, and he could feel his stomach turn a little at the idea. The pony had very few buttons to push, but sadism was one of them, a big one. “Sh-she did?” He replied, too quickly he thought. He should have given himself a moment to think before speaking. Now he could only brace himself for the response. And hope he could change the subject without much challenge.

“Yep... she smiled and talked to me like a teacher would to a 2 year old colt.” Jaxler sighed heavily and place his hoof on his forehead. “she gave me the maximum sentence and said that I could never have my crossbow back and got a sick kick from humiliating me.”

Midnight took a deep breath. This time he wasn’t going to make a quick response, wasn’t going to curse out that witch Jaxler was speaking of. Instead, after calming himself, he asked a more important question. “The maximum? H... How long will that be?”

“I got three months J-just for hitting Jury... the rest of my crimes... I don’t really know...”

Midnight held back a gulp. He didn’t know how much time a pony could get for resisting arrest, and attacking guards. But he knew that this ‘Jury’ would milk as much of a sentence as she could out of it. “I... I’ll do what I can, to make it not so bad down here for you, Jaxler. Sorry  I can’t help much more.”

“It’s fine...” Jaxler sighed again. “at least I feel a bit better knowing that somepony doesn’t hate me...” 

Midnight looked at the caged pony and let out a sigh. “I know it’s not much, Jaxler. But...” he reaches through the bars with his forelegs and motions Jaxler over to him, seeming to be offering the pony a good-bye hug...

Jaxler got up from the floor. he really hadn’t the slightest clue what Midnight was implying but still walked over to the bars between the other pony’s two forelegs. “but what?”

Midnight closes his legs around Jaxler. Pulling him into the best of a hug he could manage, with metal bars in the way. “I just hope this’ll help a little.”

Jaxler tensed up when he felt himself be brought into a hug. Nopony had hugged him in what seemed to be forever. He eventually loosened up, but still felt sort of foreign . “I um... I think it does.”

Midnight holds him for a little longer. Slowly pulling his forelegs free from the bars. And hoping Jaxler meant what he said. “I’m sorry, but, I’ve got to get going. I’ll see about making another visit sometime soon.”
“okay... I’ll see you soon then”

“See you then, Jaxler.” Midnight replies before walking off.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:48:15 pm by jaxler »

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: May 19, 2012, 10:34:46 pm »

Granite fades into and out of consciousness as he rests on an operating table. Oh gods, why do I hurt so much? He thought to himself, trying to understand his current situation. Granite just sees the ceiling above him, he hears the sound of hooves trotting back and forth around him.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: May 19, 2012, 10:41:53 pm »

Granite hears some ponies chatting urgently and the sounds of metal instruments clattering in a tray.  "Alright... Chestnut... try to keep her stable for a second, it sounds like Granite is awake."

Panacea enters his field of view after a moment, her hooves thoroughly coated with blood and her face thoroughly coated with concern.  "Granite... you've been hurt.  Just try to keep calm, you're going to be alright," she assures him before searching for something in her pile of medical tools.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: May 19, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »

"Okay..." Granite whispers. Okay, what the hell happened? There was... yelling, and there was Jaxler... then... the window... He thinks to himself. "Should... should I be awake for this?" Granite asks. He tries to look over to her.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: May 19, 2012, 10:52:48 pm »

"Um, no," Panacea responds before tapping Chestnut on the side.  "If you would?" she asks the unicorn mare.

Chestnut nods and stops whatever she was doing on Kat.  She steps over to Granite and gives him what she hoped was a comforting smile.
  "Hold on just a second, this won't hurt a bit," she says as her horn flickers a pale gold.  Granite feels his body go numb and tingly before his eyes feel very heavy.  "Just relax, it'll all be over in a second..."
Through pain, I find wisdom.

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: May 19, 2012, 10:58:51 pm »

"Wha... what is this?" Granite yawns before loosing consciousness.
After an unknown amount of time, Granite wakes up. His eyes begin to adjust to the hospital room he currently resides in. He looks down to notice bandages wrapped around his lower body. "Hello? What happened?" Granite says with a hint of fear in his voice. What happened? There was... yelling... outside my apartment. Jaxler was... getting arrested? There was that... window...
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 239