Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236434 times)

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #3090 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:38 am »

I sigh, shaking my head a bit.

"Then no booze, Jaxler.  You need to heal up properly, and alcohol won't really help that.  I could get you some juice, or maybe some cider if we have any that's not hard, though.  Will be better than water, at least."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: May 02, 2012, 12:09:58 am »

Jaxler's facial expression hardened now. Jaxler had gone two days without booze and really didn't want to go a third. "You know what happens to me when I go more than a couple days without booze?"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:13:30 am by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:19 am »

"I know... but I also know you don't like being in the hospital.  I'll bring you something with alcohol tomorrow, but not today."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: May 02, 2012, 12:17:28 am »

Jaxler was starting to feel a bit ashamed about his alcohol problem. "yeah.. thanks... ya' know, I hate it when ponies lie to me."

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:45 am »

I chuckle a bit as Jaxler.

"Heh, I know, Jaxler.  I really will bring you some alcohol tomorrow, though it will be pretty weak."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: May 02, 2012, 12:33:07 am »

"Thanks, Also can you please go grab my crossbow and bring it to me? I really don't know what Panacea did with it and I'd prefer to know where it is at all times."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: May 02, 2012, 12:36:29 am »

I nod.

"I can do that.  It's probably either here or in the armory.  I'm, uh... not sure if I'll be able to get it if it's there, but I'll try.  Did you want me to get you some juice or cider, too?"

I start checking through the various chests and cabinets in the hospital as I talk.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: May 02, 2012, 12:40:51 am »

Jaxler shrugged as best he could "either would be fine... Man, I really haft to talk to somepony about ponies taking my crossbow away from me. It's private property and I'd prefer if ponies wouldn't take it off to the armory whenever I'm hurt."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:59:10 am by jaxler »

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: May 02, 2012, 02:52:35 am »

((14th of Slate, 261))
((Amor and Virtue, Welcome to dukedom))

The ground was still damp from a midnight rain and the Unicorn was trotting to Virtue’s Pele tower which the mare held an appointment in the early morning. Amor was visibly tense and she was unhappy not to have come with Indigo but this was only between the Duchess and herself. The daughter of a duke was best to counsel the Earth mare’s advance in echelon of nobility. Although, Amor’s mind played out a large amount of scenario of the worse cases and escape plans. It is not unheard of for nobility to assassinate their peers, I could be walking into a trap or Virtue could jump to conclusions. Roof has no hatches and unguarded save for a simple alert spell. In my escape feedback the spell just enough to hinder the Unicorn who placed it, descend the stairs and head to the right. Gallop to the stairs between the north-east apartments and the mayor’s office. Climb to the apartments’ roof and leap into the moat and swim to the nearest ramp.

Amor’s mind raced to dark parts that she wish was not her own. The copper coat mare reaches the solid marble doors which were guarded by Fuscina. The Unicorn thought of more on the brighter side of her situation as she states her intent and proof of being there. Virtue is not a bad pony and being here under her is much safer than being in somepony else’s duchy and sorrowfully more so than that of my father’s. The mason pony was in her work smock and saddlebags left open for viewing by the guard but left her tools with Amber. The bags were filled with neatly stacked papers that thrown off suspicions. After entering and catching sight of Virtue, her compose nearly drops and her usual habit of tongue clicking starts. Amor held little clue as to why the Duchess had such an effect on her, maybe it was the mare’s resemblance to her father. She curtseys before the noble Earth Pony and speaks up. “My Lady Virtue, thank you for taking the time this morning to hold audience with me.”

Virtue cringes mentally at the curtsey, but makes no mention of it.  She’d long ago grown tired of telling ponies to not show her “respect” that way.  “Of course, it’s no trouble.  What did you want to talk about?”

Amor slips out of her saddlebags and sets them in front of Virtue’s marble desk, setting down before the newly appointed Duchess. She pauses for a moment to collect her thoughts before talking. “Before we begin, could you excuse your guard?”

Virtue almost imperceptibly quirks an eyebrow at the request.  She wasn’t sure what this could possibly be about that would require that sort of privacy, but she does as asked.  “Fuscina, would you leave us for a moment?”  As the mare nods and exits the office, she turns back to Amor.  “Alright, what is it?”

The metallic mare sighed at Virtue’s abiding her request and waits until the state grey coat militia-pony is out of the room for a few seconds before speaking up. “I want to congratulate your rise of nobility and that you wear the burden better then some.” Amor moves a little closer to get a better view of the mare; with only fire-light the Earth mare’s attrition was still apparent. “You know that it gets more challenging as you go on; my lady if you keep this up one of your daughters are going to take your place sooner than desired.” The Unicorn wore a worried face, and thinking that it may not be the best time to see the duchess.

She was pretty sure she understood what that meant, and wasn’t sure that she disagreed with Amor.  It had to be readily apparent to anypony how much her responsibilities and worries had been eating at her.  “Thank you... but yes, I know what you mean,” she replies, realizing that that sounded kind of peculiar given Amor’s last statement, but she didn’t feel like trying to fix the verbal blunder.

The mason pony sets back and reflects on Virtue’s reaction. “You must know that as the Duchess, you can forward many other responsibilities to your husband and the mayor. Harvest Moon could meet with traders and account for the village as you can handle the steel stocks and the reports to The Crown. Instead of having an audience with Indigo and myself you can have Longshot speak with us.” Amor feels herself slipping at the sight of the Duchess but she contains herself.

Virtue nods.  She’d considered doing things like it before, and had asked her husband to take over some things for her throughout the last year when she was too badly shaken up to perform her duties.  Asking for him or the mayor to take over permanently was something that was tempting... but she hadn’t committed to the idea yet.  “I’ve considered it, yes.  I hate to ask Harvest Moon to do much else considering how important he is to managing the farms, but asking Longshot to help take over some things... perhaps it is time for that.  He could at least take over some of the meetings for me...”

“That would be respectable and understand that not everypony reacts the same under the pressures that you experience. Harvest Moon and Longshot might even welcome more responsibilities.” The Unicorn wanted to speak out, that in other parts of the Kingdom; Virtue could have taken a blade to the flanks for subverting such powers from others. She had to remind herself that Dawnpick was different, the mare huffs at the nature of her next subject. “Either by The Crown or by me you would find out. I brought more proof of The Crown’s plans for Dawnpick.” Amor reaches down into her saddlebags and retrieves the papers, neatly folded up inside the mundane papers are her exploits before coming to Dawnpick. She places them before the Duchess. “Dawnpick, was… is a shining example of morals and tolerance that The Crown desires for the rest of the Kingdom to follow.”

Virtue takes the pages and gives them a bit more than a cursory glance.  “Yes... it is one of the things I take pride in most here.”  She just wished everypony got along so well.  Stiletto had caused a great amount of upset, even if she hadn’t tried to.

Amor lets the slate grey mare look over the papers before talking. “One day either you or your children could be overseeing to dozens or hundreds of villages similar to Dawnpick. The Crown might even inquire you to move to the capital and assist in getting other duchies to follow suit.” The Unicorn saw so hint of apprehension in the other pony’s face. “Lady Virtue, Dawnpick is a haven compared to the rest of the world. This is no gods’ paradise, tribulations are going to take place and in my eyes you have yet to fall short to face them.” The mare huffs and hopes that Virtue accepts the way things are.

“Thank you,” Virtue responds, hoping it sounded more solid than it felt.  She tried to imagine she was getting used to it all, but deep down she felt she really wasn’t.  Still, that wasn’t the thing that caught her attention.  “Coupledye could ask me to return to oversee larger lands?”  That wasn’t the most encouraging thought.  As much pain as Dawnpick had caused her lately, it was in no small amount home now.

“As Duchess, your limit of holdings is as it stands now but as an high ranking noble, your peers could hear your experience and make improvement to their holds. If The Crown enjoys what they hear from you then they could order the other nobles to follow the example you set. Those methods would be made easier if you made manor in or near Coupledye.” The Unicorn was unsure how best to tell the mare that the more responsibility held the more at the will of The Crown she was. The more The Crown gave you, the more you have to lose or give up.

“I see... that makes sense,” she replies.  She wasn’t sure she liked that.  Actually, she knew she didn’t.  She really hadn’t ever been happy being of nobility, but she just did what she was told by Coupledye and tried not to ask too many questions.  “I’d prefer to stay here as long as possible, of course.”

“For me to hear that, it makes me happy that you care for your vassals so much to cling to us.” She said with a short lived smile and adds with a frown. “But, I find it strange the prompt rise up the aristocracy and even giving such an elevated title to a once noble is cause for concern though.” Amor could see every bit of Virtue’s anguish was because of her quick rise in nobility. The curly mane mare places a hoof on her chin in contemplation and adds. “I see wisdom in The Crown’s reasoning; instead of giving the land-holds to another duke, insert a new player. Thankfully Dawnpick is so distant to Coupledye or the Rainbow Coalitions would be the less of your plight.”

Virtue reminisces about her life before all of the responsibility and lets out a breath.  “I won’t pretend to understand why they chose me, or why they chose to elevate me so quickly.  I’m honored that they would of course... but I can’t help but feel I don’t deserve it.”  Or really want it, for that matter, but she didn’t think admitting that to Amor was the best thing to do.  She didn’t want to sound ungrateful.

The two Little Ponies set there a bit for Amor to break up the silence. “Virtue, if there is anything your subjects can do; it is to understand and ease your burden if that is commanded. Please do not be afraid to call upon us if you need it.” Amor looks towards the Duchess, waiting for any answer or request that the fatigue mare needs.

“Thank you,” she says again.  Of course what she really wanted to do was tell Amor that she could have the job if she wanted it and quit right there, but that was hardly appropriate, so she settles for, “I really do appreciate the help you’ve given me so far.  Even the advice you and Indigo provide for me are very helpful and much appreciated.”  She mulls over the conversation and tries to think of things she could push off to Longshot.  “And I’m going to definitely think about what I can ask others to do.  Longshot hasn’t been very busy as of late anyway.”

“And thank you Virtue for being the good duchess and pony that Dawnpick needs and wants.” The mare said with delight in being able not to lie about the notion. The two Little Ponies then start to talk about the way of managing the duchy and Amor’s experience of how her father ran his. After too long silence once more takes root and the copper mare excuses herself, leaving only her words and the papers as a reminder she was once there.
Victoria intus Amicitia; Amor et Patientiam; Salve ad Armentum.
-Psalms01, your Adoring Omnidimensional Overlord.
> Dues Ex Magma!
> "Nah, we're fine. We have too much food anyway, bad thoughts from seeing vermin never killed nopony, refuse stockpile is less clogged, and cats are safely tucked away in a cage." -Maklak
> Dwarfy Proverb: "Every-dwarf grows there beard to different lengths."
> Psalms tries to type, but the words are deflected by the Google Docs' +broken code+! -Telgin

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:29 am »

Stiletto flies slowly down the roads to Dawnpick. The black steel armor of her homeland Covering every part of her body. She had taken off her helmet to look somewhat less imposing, but it detracts little from the massive sword slung across her withers.

Kat, being stationed on the gates along with her younger sister Kit, seeing Stiletto approaching from far away.. She wasn’t sure if she knew the Alicorn or not at this distance.. and what she wearing doesn’t exactly give her much to go about.. but deep down inside, she wish that it’s Stiletto returning to Dawnpick again.. Although it’s unlikely seeing that she’s alone without an Earthpony with her.. Kat could only sigh. Hey! a filly can dream couldn’t she?

The half ton amethyst Alicorn approached the pair of Pegasus perched on the wall. She raised her head up and spoke clearly “Hiel!”

Kat can remember that voice anywhere.. with a quick ear twitch, and a quick blink of realization.. “Stiletto?” She asked out just to be sure. While Kat was quickly getting filled with incoming wave of joy and happiness, Kit was still wanting to just fly away or cower behind her sister at the sight of such a fearsome Alicorn.

“Kat?” her voice filled with a mix of joy and uncertainty. Stiletto’s armor clad body lifted into the air and bought her the edge of the wall by the power of her over sized wings. “Kat is that you?” she repeated while putting her forehooves over the ramparts

Kat replied not with words, but by launching herself straight into the larger mare to give her what must be one of the biggest hug she could give. Nuzzling her face onto her armor “It’s really you! You’re back! Oh I’ve missed you so much Stiletto! And Flux too! Oh! Flux would be SO happy to see you Oh and Have I introduced you to Kit yet? She’s my younger sister, have I ever told you I have a younger sister? I have a younger sister and she crossed the Ocean all the way to find me and-” Kat begin, saying at the speed that would’ve made Pinkie pie proud. Her younger sister just blinks in confusion at what’s going on.

One big armored foreleg gently wrapped itself around Kat’s withers “Meine Liebe. I missed you and meine freundlichsten Liebe so very much.” Stiletto let out a heavy sigh “I have been sent here too Dawnpick officially by my homeland to defend you against the Rainbows. What happened while I was gone? Why has war come to Dawnpick?”

Kat frown and sigh softly.. “It’s.. a long short story.. And I still have some guarding duty to do with my sister... maybe.. you should go inside, reclaim your room and take some rest? We could talk about that later. But let’s just say that the Rainbows misunderstood us and now they all want our heads..”

Stiletto looked out onto the town of Dawnpick “I have many ponies to speak with before I can rest. I have to announce myself, and explain myself. Could you think of someplace we can meet at later?”

“Of course my liebe. The dining hall is alway ready for us. I’ll try to bring Flux as well.. Oh and, This is Kit. My younger sister from my homeland..” She said with a smile, gesturing to the little mare that’s hiding behind her sister.. Not such a great trait for a guard but then again, who wouldn’t be afraid of such a fearsome Alicorn in full wargear? “h-hello..” She squeaks out in so many way like the first time Kat introduced herself... they’re so much alike.. the looks.. the feel.. the youth.. But there’s something that tells them apart.. not sure what yet.

“Hello, my you are a niedliche kleine Schwester, are you not?” Stiletto said with a smile and a wink,

Kit squeaks again and shy away a little closer behind her sister. “um.. t-thanks?..” She had no idea what those words meant.. but assume it’s nice.

Stiletto nods at Kit “I will see both of you in the dinning Hall later, yes?”

Kat smiles and nods, giving Stiletto another nuzzle again happily “Mmhmm, we’ll be there.. Glad you’re back Stiletto.” she sooth out.

Stiletto returns the nuzzle and places a kiss on Kat’s neck “It is good to be back Meine Leibe.”
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: May 02, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »

((this happened before Jaxler got stabbed))

Jaxler was in the meeting hall sitting in his favorite seat with a barrel of booze to his side. Today had dragged on longer then he had expected. He spent all day carving out wooden stuffs, and was ready to drink away another day of wasted time. But right as Jaxler was about to start drinking he noticed a familiar looking Pegasus walk in… But he could swear that he had never met the pony in his life, which struck him as odd. “Hello there.”

She stops in her track as Jaxler greets her, looking around herself a bit just to make sure that it’s her that he’s saying Hi to. Then after making sure, gives him a smile “um... Hi!” she greets back

“Hay, pardon me but you seem awfully familiar. Have I met you somewhere?”

The Pegasus mare tilt her head slightly from that. “well.. I don’t think so. I just came here not long ago..”

Jaxler paused for a moment, before replying  “Well in that case, welcome to the fort… But still, you seem to remind me of somepony else.”

“Oh? well.. um.. My sister Kat lives here for a while already.. and we look alike so.. maybe you’ve seen her before?”

Jaxler’s eyes widen “OH, that makes sense. I really didn’t know that Kat had a sister.”

Kit blinks slightly from that then smiles a little more “You know Kat?”

“Yeah, back when I was second-in-command of the guard I served with her.”

“Ooohh? You was a second-in-command of the guards? Neat! I’m in the guards too!” Kit chirped happily

“You’re in the guard, well I bet that must be exciting.”

“well.. It’s much more exciting than what I do back home anyway.”

“Well that’s good, but I need to ask you something.”

Kit tilt her head a little more. “um.. okay?”

Jaxler sighed and said “It’s kinda a requirement that anypony who joins the guard is willing to do anything to protect the citizens of Dawnpick, So… Are you willing to die in the place of anypony in Dawnpick no matter who or why?”

Kit ponders for a moment.. “Well.. I’d die for Kat anyday no matter why.”

Jaxler knew that that wasn't a good answer but honestly didn't feel like ruining the conversation, And his opinion on the topic really didn't mater anymore  “Dang, then you must really care about your sister” said Jaxler happily as he started to lean back in his chair

“Yep!” Kit chirped happily before continuing “I crossed the ocean to find her.. She’s my Everything!”

“That’s amazing, You're telling me that you crossed the sea just to see your sister? That’s one of the most heartwarming things I’ve ever heard “

Kit blushes slightly and smile, taking a seat across the table from him “well.. not just to see her no. But to live here with her too!”

“Well I’m glad to hear that you're now living here in Dawnpick. I’d honestly hate to see somepony as pleasant as yourself leave.”

Kit d’aww’d slightly then smiles “Thankies.. oh! I don’t think i’ve told you my name yet. I’m Kit! What’s your name?”

“My name is Jaxler Blackflutes, grand-master Markspony and a half decent Wood crafter! I’m glad to make your acquaintance” Jaxler then offers Kit a hoofshake

Kit giggles as she nods and accepts his hoofshake. “Grand-master Markspony? Maybe you can show me a thing or two about shooting crossbows sometimes?”

Jaxler smiles and says “If you need any help I’d be glad to assist you.”

Kit shuffles her hooves slightly as she paws it at the floor “Well.. Maybe you can teach me how to shoot better? I mean.. I’m not that much of a good markspony I think..”

Jaxler drinks some of his booze before replying “Well, I’m sure that you’d be a great marks pony, and again, if you need any help just ask.”

“Alright! I’ll keep that in mind.” Kit said with another smile

Jaxler drank some more booze before something important entered his mind “Kit, Has Kat left the hospital yet?”

“Yep!” Kit chirped happily before adding “She’s been teaching me how to shoot my crossbow. She’s really good!”

“That’s good, I’ve been feeling horrible about her being hurt... You know, I’ve spent years as a markspony and I’m still can’t shoot fast enough to save somepony from getting hurt, as opposed to only saving their life.”

Kit blinks again “You saved Kat’s life?”

“Yeah, but it’s not like she’s the only pony whose life I’ve saved”

“Oooohh? you saved many lives?”

“Only three. one was a foal, then there's Kat and the other, actually, is Kat’s lover. In fact I almost got my wing torn off and died when I saved him.” Jaxler then pointed to his scarred up wing.

Kit blinks in amazement as she listens to him “Ooohh.. Wow.. you must be a hero!”

Jaxler shrugged “Well, most other ponies don’t seem to think so...”

That made Kit tilt her head slightly in confusion “Why not? You saved ponies’s lives and stuff.”

Jaxler’s ears flopped down as he spoke “I guess, most ponies prefer to judge me before they actually get to know me.”

“Well.. I guess it’s because of that.” Kit said, gesturing towards the barrel of booze.

“I’m sorry, drinking isn’t something that I can just drop... Actually why don’t you try some booze?”

“Well.. I don’t drink much.. I can get really drunk easily and I don’t let getting drunk.. It makes me do things that I can’t remember afterwards..”

Jaxler shrugged and sipped some more booze. “Meh, Suit yourself… So, what’s it like being in the guard now-in-days?”

Kit ponders.. Trying to find the word for it.. and not succeeding it.. “It’s... hmm.. Interesting.. and have lots of things to do too!”

“That’s good, most of the time I was in the guard I was just me in and the captain, We were kinda like the founding members. I’m glad that you get to do interesting stuff, back when i was in the guard I’d always get stupid complaints about the sun being too bright and whatnot.”

“Jeez.. that sounds.. boring?.. but atleast you didn’t have to shoot so many things right?”

“Well, I’ve had to shoot a lot of things. I usually only attacked things that were trying to harm the ponies of Dawnpick. Though, if it was a diamond dog I’d usually just try to scare em’ off, I kinda feel bad for the guys.”

“What’s up with Diamond dogs?” Kit asked, sitting down.

“They’re large intelligent dogs that are far too weak to fend for themselves and the rest of the intelligent species treat them like pests. They resort to thievery to support their families and try their best to survive in a world that wants them dead. Ponies assume that they’re dumb and feeble minded because they are weak and nopony is willing to educate them, but in truth they are just as smart and feel the same emotions as everypony else. In truth they are a tragedy.”

“Well.. I guess Death would be a gift for them then.” Kit said, pondering about that.

“They don’t really deserve it though. others only want them dead to make their lives easier. Some ponies aren't willing to part with some wooden craft, when some diamond dog could sell it to a caravan and keep his pups from going hungry.”

Kit frowns and sigh.. suddenly feeling down. “I guess you’re right.. it’s... It’s a cruel world.”

Jaxler takes note of kit’s deflating mood and tries to add some happiness to the conversation. “Well, I guess it’s our job to try to make it a little less cruel.”

Kit shook her head. Not really feeling any less deflated “We just make things worse.. Me and Kat were shooting at a diamond dog in the moat the other day.. now to think that maybe he had some pups and family to feed so bad that he choose to steal from us...” Kit flops her ears.

“You did as you were ordered so what you did was justified. And if it makes you feel any better, diamond dogs run families with a tribal system so if he did have pups then clan member would probably take care of them.”

“But I would’ve made those pups fatherless still..” Kit said. Not feeling any better.

“Maybe he didn’t have any pups.”

“Maybe he did.. or a sick wife.. or something..”

“And maybe he didn’t, and you feeling bad about it won’t really change a thing.”

Kit frowns slightly more.. slumping onto the table slightly “won’t change that I killed someone..”

“I’m sorry but, when you’re in the guard you kill things. As much as I wish it wasn’t, it’s still part of the job.”

“Doesn’t mean I have to enjoy it though.. I don’t.. I don’t get how Kat does it.. Maybe it just.. grow? I mean.. she killed before I’m sure of.. Back home... and now.. to see her Kill without breaking down?.. it’s... It’s scary.. I don’t want her to change and not be my big sister anymore.. you know?” Kit said out weakly.

“Someponies can kill endlessly and feel no emotion, others breakdown altogether at the sight of first blood. Someponies can kill thousands before finally breaking at thousand and one. Someponies change forever after their first kill and others realize who they are. In the end, each pony is different in their approach to death and I don’t think Kat will change, and even if she did she’ll always be your older sister.”

that seems to bring a smile back onto Kit’s face atleast for a bit. “I guess so..”

Jaxler was glad to have made Kit’s mood a little bit better, considering how he was the one who ruined it. “So, you must really love your sister.”

Kit smiles up just a tad more. “Mmhmm.. she’s my everything...” She answered as she let her eyes drift.. soon catching sight of Jaxler’s repaired crossbow.. “Wow.. that’s.. that’s a pretty amazing crossbow you have there.”

“Oh, This?” Said Jaxler as he waved his crossbow around “yeah it’s pretty decent. It’s saved my life more times than  I can count.”

“And not to mention very pretty too! Where’d you get it?” Kit asked, seemingly interested.

“I couldn’t tell you, mainly because the place doesn’t exist anymore”

“Oh... okay.” Kit nods. “It’s not like I’d know about it anyway..”

“Well, what I mean is that can’t tell you it because I’ve forgotten the name of the place where it was made. It’s been destroyed for so long that the name has slipped my mind”

“Oh! Then it’s alright then.” Kit said, giving him a little smile as she ponders on what subject to talk with him next.. running out of things to say pretty quickly.

“So, has anything crazy happened in the guard recently?” Said jaxler hoping to having struck a better topic.

“hmm.. well, besides us having a new face from the capital, not really. Things been pretty quiet. So I’ve been spending a lot of time practicing my crossbow. Kat’s teaching me how to use it like a club and beat something with it! She says it can even block axes and blades if done right!”

“Yes, Crossbows make half decent hammers and even better shields, but by the time the enemy gets close it’s best to have put a few bolts in them. If somepony has a bolt in his leg they seem to have a tendency to slow down the speed of their attacks.”

“Would be better to put a bolt to his skull and slow him down forever?”

“Yes it would. In fact always aim for the skull.”

“But.. Kat says to aim for the big target? like the torso. That way, it’s easier to hit and atleast it’ll do something..” Kit replied uncertainly.

“Well, that depends on the target. If he has armor then you want to hit where the armor isn’t covering and a torso shot isn’t always a kill shot. But, I guess the head is still a pretty small target so you might not want to aim for the head until you become a better markspony.”

“Sounds understandable.” Kit said with a nod.

“I guess some other advice I can give you is that if you stuck in combat the smartest thing you can do is try to dodge or use your wings as shields as a last resort. Also try to get out of hoof to hoof combat as quickly as possible.Do not try to kill the enemy, just try to survive.”

“Yeah that sounds like a good Idea. Maybe if the enemy can’t fly, I’ll just fly away! or hide in a cloud! or something..”

“That’s right. Also, you should try to get skilled at using your crossbow while flying. It really makes things a bit easier when you can fly.”

“Well.. Yeah. I’ve been trying. And Kat’s been helping. But it’s really hard to get a steady shot mid-air you know?”

“Yes... I do... In fact I actually avoid flying altogether just because the instability.”

“Well I like Flying.”

“Yeah, It seems most pegasi do. I guess I never really got why the whole flying thing was so amazing.”

“Well..” Kit begins “The freedom of the sky.. the wind through your feathers face face.. the feeling that the world’s just like a big swimming pool for you to swim in.. that everything’s safe and nice up there. It’s just.. Great I guess?”

“I can’t get past the idea that if I stop flapping I die...”

“Hmm.. Maybe I can teach you how to fly better? It’s not all about flapping you know? You can fly for hours without flapping once aswell! It’s called Gliding.. and it’s really.. Really great!”

“I... uh... Sure I guess.”

“Okay! It’s a Date then!” Kit chirped, oblivious that the word have another meaning aswell.

“Great...”
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:00:25 pm by jaxler »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:40 am »

and occasionally in the background

(( Early Hematite 259: Jaxler wants to join the reserves. ))

Jaxler had spent an entire mundane day making worthless wooden crud. He really was stressed out more than usual, on account of the fact that he really shouldn't be allowed to have his crossbow anymore and the lack of excitement during that day, but he had a plan on adding some more into his life. After work and dinner, Jaxler walks over to Indigo's room, knocks and says “YO Indigo!”

Indigo is going over some papers. "Jaxler?" What could that drunk want from me? Eh, better get it out of the way. He is as annoying as he is persistent. "Wait, I'll open the door." Indigo looks at Jaxler through the door. "Well, what is it?"

Jaxler laughs a little bit and responds "Straight to the point now, aren't you? Well Indigo, I was hopping, I could join the reserve."

"What?! Why?" Indigo is quite taken aback by this to the point where he literally steps back.

Jaxler's decent mood is effectively dented by Indigo's little display "I'm going to keep my crossbow and if I'm part of the reserves, I can. Also, I hate the idea of the military reserve not having any half decent fighters in it." 

Indigo's face looks, as if he swallowed a bug. He retreats deeper into his room. "Come in and close the door."

Jaxler hesitates before stepping in. The look on Indigo's face was worth a thousand words. "So, are you gonna let me join?" 

Indigo sits on his rump and sighs. It is official. My squad is a penal colony. "If Halberd and Partisan agree to this, then yes, but first do you understand what the reserves are all about?"

"I have an idea, but feel free to enlighten me." answers Jaxler.

"Basically we are civilians, getting ready to fight, if there ever is sudden a need for more soldiers. We all work normal jobs most of the time and train together for only a few months each year. We can be mobilised or drafted into other squads when needed."

Indigo pauses and looks at Jaxler's crossbow. "As to you keeping that rotten old thing: I assume it has some sentimental value. You could remove the string and put it on the wall, or maybe join Longshot or something like that. If keeping it is your main reason to join the reserves, I'll have to disappoint you. We are only allowed to keep weapons and armour in our rooms, when we have scheduled training and Halberd gets fed up with giving it to us each day. Otherwise the equipment is locked in the armoury. Though none of us owns any weapons or armour, save for some boots, so you may be able to clear that up with Halberd. One more thing, we are getting paid only when we train as a squad, and little at that, so you will want some kind of civilian job anyway."

"If you knew it was of personal importance to me then why did you insult it? Also, one shouldn't be disrespectful enough to just let something that's saved their life be tacked up on a wall and be forgotten." says Jaxler.

"If it still works, then do what you will. Reservists choose their own weapons, and  a Crossbow is one of the recommended choices.” Indigo shrugs. “The way I see it, nothing lasts forever. I had some good tools in my life, but eventually they all broke and were replaced. I learned to not attach myself to objects too much. Anyway, I'm trailing off."

Indigo sighs. "If Halberd and Partisan agree, then yes, you can join the reserves. I wouldn't mind having a competent soldier with us.” But I do mind having you. “I make due with what help I can get from Glaive and others, but they only train with us occasionally. It is just that... whatever I say seems to piss you off, and I'm not sure, if I can handle you being in my squad." And if the rumours are true, you are a convicted criminal... This isn't going to end well. Halberd will probably agree to Jaxler being in my squad out of spite, then yell at me, every time he does something bad. When I ask for Jaxler to be removed from the reserves, Halberd will laugh at me for not being able to handle him. Partisan will agree, just to get rid of the problem, and Virtue will agree for the same reason. Is there no way out? Must I suffer through this? I suppose I brought it on myself, when I told Halberd about the reserves. Not... one of my better notions. Jaxler is going to turn the reserves into some kind of goons if he gets his way, and I'll be the scapegoat for whatever he does. Ugh...

"Okay... Well I guess that means you'd have a problem, if I asked to be made second in command."

Yeah, how about first in command? Indigo scratches his horn. "There is no second in command. I administer the squad and talk to Halberd." And I don't think I need to explain to you, how much fun that is. "Apart from that, I coordinate the training and give orders, but there is no hierarchy. Whoever seems to have the most idea about the subject, leads the demonstrations. That puts you in charge of crossbow training, if we get any bolts. You can do individual training when you want, provided the barracks aren't occupied by soldiers. And I want you sober and present during scheduled training session. You can drink in the evening, if you must. If you want any other responsibility, you have to prove that I can trust you.” Which I quite obviously can't. “Any other questions?"

Jaxler shrugs "Could you organize a group sparing on my first day? I kinda wanna get back at those ponies for waking me up and laughing at me. Also, do you have a problem if I show up with anything other than a crossbow during training? Also, on my first day as a reservist I plan on sparring with you."

Indigo's eyes narrow. What?! You insolent... "I already organized a demonstration on our next training session tomorrow, but we have sparring on our third day.  Sparring is not about you getting some kind of revenge, it is about learning what to aim for and what to expect in a real fight. That is another problem with you: you start random fights, seek them, even. If you hurt somepony, I'd get to be responsible for it and I don't want to. You may choose your own weapon, but Axes, Crossbows or Maces are highly recommended. As to you planning on sparring with me, are you trying to prove something? Because in this case my plans are the ones that matter. You can only make suggestions."

"I don't look for fights. I only pick a fight when somepony does something, I find to be grossly offensive to my morals. And yes, I do wish to prove something. Those ponies insulted me, and if I'm going to be working with them, I need them to know, that I don't take that kind of shit from anypony." answers Jaxler.

Indigo grits his teeth. "Well, I refuse to take that kind of shit from you, and you are expected to obey your captain, it that clear?” Indigo frowns. “But just out of curiosity: what exactly did me, Zearoth and Oil Macepony do to you? And what do you mean by 'offensive to your morals'?"

"Last I remember, those ponies laughed at me, when you were raiding my room for barrels, and if somepony does an act, that I see as amoral and that act affects me.  I won't sit by and let it happen, regardless of how much harm may come to me, because of my choice to stand up and refusing to be treated with such disrespect."

Indigo facehoofs, then looks at Jaxler with pure bewilderment. "You find laughter... amoral?" How the hay am I supposed to work with this aggressive cretin? And they say about me, that I hold grudges.

"Laughter isn't a crime, but using it to show, that you are superior to another, is." Answers Jaxler.

What about those, who are superior in some respect? "So this is about... disrespect?" Sekashi! "That at least I can understand, I suppose, but respect is earned, and you haven't earned mine. Maybe I should have come to your room in the evening the day before, but I didn't expect a shortage of barrels in the first place. Besides, you laughed at us too, don't you think that makes us even?" And you laughed at me today for even starting a conversation with you. I really should just tell you to get out of my sight.

"They laughed at me first, out of foalish pride. I only retaliated."

"You retaliated and we went our way and almost forgot about it by now, yet you insist on beating them up, to show them whose boss.” and me too! “This is unacceptable and exactly the kind of behaviour that gets you into trouble and earns you disrespect in the first place. I simply cannot allow it.” Well, it does force ponies to treat you seriously, but I find it hard to respect a bully and a ruffian, even one who could beat me up.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Says Jaxler as he walks out of Indigo’s room. He needs to drink more than his usual intake that day.

“You should seriously consider your attitude, if you want to be in my squad at all!” shouts Indigo after him. While Jaxler pissed Indigo off, he still can join the reserves with Halberd's, Partisan's and Virtue's approval.

(( Hematite 259: Sparring with Jaxler ))
((In the 261 save Telgin set the reserves to train in Hematite and Timber.))

Indigo really didn't want Jaxler in his squad, but instead of telling him “No”, he preferred erecting bureaucratic barriers. It was only somewhat less difficult for Zaeroth and Oil Macepony when the reserves were formed. Indigo complained to Virtue, Partisan and Halberd, but they all agreed to Jaxler being in the reserves for one reason or another.

To even join the damned reserves, Jaxler had to talk to a few ponies, he would rather not, and sign some papers with crap like. “I will protect Dawnpick, obey my commanders, take part in trainings, take good care of my equipment. I agree to be called to arms at any time. Blah... blah... blah... Lots of words on paper.” It was nauseating and almost made him regret ditching Partisan, but if it meant keeping his crossbow, he went through with it.

Jaxler didn't exactly get what he wanted. He was allowed to keep his crossbow, but didn't get to spar on his first day. For two days there were some demonstrations, he wasn't really interested in. The first sparring session was on the third day. It only took a moment for Zaeroth and Oil Macepony to choose to face each other, while Indigo was still talking. This left him and Jaxler for the second pair.

They face each other and Jaxler smiles menacingly. “Let's begin,” says Indigo.

Jaxler charges the blue pony and swings his hoof toward his gut, and then throws his other hoof toward his opponent's forehead.

Indigo gets hit before he has time to react, retreats in pain and covers his head.

Jaxler sees an opening and hits Indigo in the chest. Then again and again, while Indigo just groans, and tries to avoid or parry the blows. Jaxler can scarcely believe that the poor unicorn isn't even hitting back, just taking it. While Jaxler is holding back, he still puts enough force behind his punches to cause a lot of pain, and hopefully make Indigo realize, that Jaxler is the best soldier in the reserves.

Indigo curls on the floor and groans. “Stop! Get him off!”

Zaeroth and Oil Macepony just look and do nothing, while Jaxler backs off with a happy expression on his face. “I win!”

Indigo stands up and groans in pain. “What the buck was that? Were you trying to kill me?”

Jaxler tilts his head in confusion. “No no no no, if I was trying to kill you, I would have probably killed you in one shot.“

“This was supposed to be a sparring session, one of many today. Do you understand? Sparring. You're not supposed to hurt me for real. Just mark your hits.“

“Yeah and maybe I wouldn't have hurt you, if you could dodge. And maybe it would do you some good to actually learn how to take a freaking hit, instead of curling up into a ball and begging your attacker to walk away.”

Indigo groans in pain again, barely standing up. “You can train individually for the rest of the day. You're dismissed. You two, continue sparring. I'm off to see Panacea.”

Jaxler does some useless training for the rest of the day and takes note of the other two ponies' novice fighting styles.

Indigo comes back later that day to clean up, collect equipment, report to Halberd and so on.

-----------------------------

Next day Indigo enters the barracks with grim look on his face. He looks at his squad. “You know, I was thinking about what happened yesterday and I was wrong. Just marking the blows is good to begin with, but it is far from a real fight. We need to learn to make quick, strong blows and to take them as well. There is a reason, why we get armour and blunted weapons. We also must familiarize ourselves with pain. You saw me retreating from Jaxler's flurry of blows yesterday and it gained me defeat. Once you get hit thousands of times, you'll get some resistance to pain, and won't  be so afraid to get beaten up. Besides, Jaxler's... tactics mimics something we can expect from those bandits.” Indigo sighs. “I also remembered something my old captain told me. 'There will always be somepony stronger and faster in the barracks. That is the one you want to spar with, before you meet his equal on the battlefield.' I've decided that every month we train together, each of us is going to spar with Jaxler for at least for a few days. Starting with me.”

Indigo looks at Jaxler and frowns: “As for you, I still want you to hold back. Some pain, bruises and small cuts are fine, but no permanent injury, and obviously if you knock one of us out, that's the end of the lesson, and not much good. We are here to learn. Is this clear?”

Jaxler sighs “Fine.”

Indigo stands in front of Jaxler, training axe and shield ready. The other two ponies just watch: “Let's begin.”

Jaxler smiles and puts his hoof on his crossbow. “Try to dodge.” Jaxler flings his crossbow's but toward Indigo's head. It gets blocked by unicorn's shield, but then Jaxler throws his free hoof toward Indigo’s gut, knocking him off balance. Then Jaxler marks a hit with his crossbow to Indigo's head. “You're dead.”

Indigo gets up, groans and recomposes himself. “You two, don't just look, your turn will come soon enough. Keep sparring.” He says to Zaeroth and Oil Macepony.

Indigo spars with Jaxler again and again, loosing badly. The unicorn scores a few hits; some of them might be serious wounds, if they used real weapons, but Jaxler barely notices being hit with a training axe, and wins one fight after another. He is having the most fun he's had in years, as he is beating the crap out of Indigo. The markspony doesn't even feel compelled to use his wings to block the unicorn's blows, as his way of fighting is much too clumsy, defensive and slow. Jaxler holds back enough to make the fun last longer, but is practically using Indigo as a living punching bag. To his credit, the unicorn doesn't give up, even after constantly getting beaten up.

After the sparring session Indigo is all sore, but still makes sure everything is in order with the others and their equipment and reports to Halberd, who doesn't neglect to mock his bruises. Then he goes to the hospital to get something for the bruises and pain, but before leaving the barracks, Indigo informs Zaeroth that the next day it is his turn. On the third day, it is Oil Macepony's.

After that Jaxler gets to spar all three of them for a day. Fighting is never fair, and apparently none of the other reservists is enough for Jaxler, so why not let him have it. This however, leads to him holding back less, flying over their heads, while throwing things at them and doing similar tricks. The unicorns learn, that combining their telekinetic powers can keep Jaxler in place long enough to get some hits on him, which would be useful in a real fight if they outnumbered the enemy. 

By the time Jaxler learns to train the reservists instead of just going all out on them, Hematite is over and so are their scheduled trainings. They all go back to doing civilian jobs. Still, they all learned something about combat, so their time together wasn't wasted. Indigo decided that Jaxler is useful for something at least. Jaxler established himself as the most competent and tough fighter in the squad.

(( Hematite, 259: Jaxler oversleeps ))

The reserves have another day of scheduled training and as usual meet at the barracks after breakfast. Except Jaxler doesn't show up. There is going to be a demonstration shortly, and Indigo grows impatient. If he at least saw Jaxler by the wall or in the dining hall earlier that day, he would just wait, but he began to suspect that Jaxler overslept again. “Have you seen Jaxler?” he asks his squad. They didn't, so decides, that they should go look for him. They find him sleeping in a pile of rocks.

“Jaxler, wake up! We have a training session momentarily!”

Jaxler wasn't happy to be awoken by his annoying captain. The pile of rocks was surprisingly more comfortable than one might think. “Ug… Go away Indigo…”

“You're in my squad now, and we train today. Get up and come!”

“Uh… I'm taking a nap, come back in like an hour.”

Oh, I'll wake you up. Indigo grits his teeth, runs towards the well, returns with a bucket of water and spills it on Jaxler's head. 

Getting soaked with cold water wakes Jaxler up. “DA’ BUCKING HELL”

It's not like I pissed on him to wake him up. “Oh, compared to the crap I have to take from you, I'd say this is pretty mild. You are awake, bathed and there is some water left in the bucket if you want to drink. Now let's go to the barracks.”

There is another demonstration that day, but hey, in the months they train as squad, another sparring session is always but a few days away, so Jaxler looks forward to an opportunity to get back at Indigo. From then on Jaxler knows, that he is required to attend training (or find a really good hiding spot and listen to a reprimand later).

(( Malachite 259: Indigo finds sleeping Jaxler ))

Indigo wakes up, washes in a bowl of water, spills it outside his window, gets dressed and walks towards the dining hall to prepare for another day of work. On his way there, he sees Jaxler sleeping  in the middle of the street. He sighs. A few months back he would just ignore him, or maybe take the crossbow to a safe place before some foal finds it, but Jaxler is part of Indigo's squad now. They don't have a training session that day, so there is little point to wake the unpleasant drunk up. After only a moment's hesitation,  Indigo puts Jaxler's crossbow in his saddlebag, checks that the nearby barrel is empty, lifts Jaxler with telekinesis and carries him to his room. The unicorn places the pegasus on his bed, puts the crossbow somewhere close and turns to leave.

As Jaxler starts to wake up, he notices a stallion in the middle of his room. “Wha… what are you doing in my room Indigo?”

“You were asleep in the middle of the road. You are now in my squad and therefore my responsibility. Since we don't train this month, I didn't have to wake you up, so I took you to your room instead.”

Jaxler was slightly groggy. “You know, I don't like it when ponies worry about me, I also feel a bit disrespected.”

“Getting drunk and sleeping in random places and sometimes pissing or vomiting all over yourself certainly won't earn you any respect. You are now in my squad, I'm responsible for you, and I don't want ponies to laugh at you. I'm leaving now, you wasted enough of my time.”

“Don't let the door hit you on the way out.”

Indigo leaves, closes the door and goes to the dining hall, which is now crowded, so he needs to wait for his turn. Another annoyance, but at least he can listen to ponies chatting in the line. The dining hall is getting too small and will need to be expanded.

From then on Indigo doesn't specifically look for Jaxler each morning, but if he stumbles upon him, he brings him to his room, and is usually reasonably gentle about it. It still annoys him, though. This is not exactly caring, but a substitute for it is better than nothing.

(( Timber, 259: Misc object user ))

Jaxler was training with a dummy. Throwing hits and bucks was fun and all, but it was starting to get rather boring. He was not a believer in “training a kick a thousand times to make it natural.” The last thing the pegasus wanted was for training to get to mundane, so Jaxler figured that he might as well 'demonstrate'  some 'skills' to the other squad mates. He walks over, picks up a *shale chair* and swings it at his target. The chair leaves a huge gash in the diamond dog sized training device. The strike would have easily disembowelled a medium sized stallion and made a sickening sound that reverberated throughout the training area. “That's how you win a fight!”

Indigo is stunned for a moment. “Jaxler, what the hay was that?”

Jaxler shrugged “I thought I was getting rusty at using furniture as weapons and wanted to see if I was still competent at killing stuff with a chair”

Indigo: “Next time you want to do something like this, okay it with me first, understood?”

Jaxler “Meh, Fine”

“Well, I'd pick a real weapon over a chair any day, but I guess this could be useful in a bar fight and having an improvised weapon is much better than none at all.” Indigo looks at the damaged dummy and fortunately whole chair, rising his brow. ”Humph, don't underestimate a determined enemy, no matter what he uses for a weapon. Now, can you fix it Jaxler? Because If not, I'll have to report it to Halberd. We're not supposed to be breaking equipment.”

“I'm a wood crafter, if I couldn't fix a dent or two, I wouldn't be breaking it.” answers Jaxler.

“Well, go about it then. I'd rather not have to explain this to Halberd.” The amount of work to fix something is always more than to break it, so maybe you'll think twice before doing something like that again. “The rest of squad: back to training basic swings.”

From then on Jaxler sometimes brings random items, like chains and chair legs for sparring sessions, so the other recruits can familiarise themselves with them, but for the most part they still use training weapons.

(( 259: Jaxler brings a fixed crossbow. ))
(( The dates  don't quite work out for this scene. The caravan from Coupledye comes in Obsidian, while the reserves train in Hematite and Timber. Since we used those, maybe this scene should be in 260 or Indigo should randomly stumble upon Jaxler when they don't train. Anyway, here it is: ))

Jaxler walks into the barracks with his now fixed crossbow for another training session with the reserves. Indigo notices the restored weapon and stares at it. After a moment he regains his speech. “Wow... where did you get that?” Did you steal it from the caravan? They had a decent bowyer with them.

Jaxler is as happy as he could be, to have his crossbow repaired. His best and most beloved possession is finally restored to its former glory and even Indigo's annoying questions couldn't possibly kill his good mood.  “It's my old crossbow”

“What do you mean, it's your old crossbow? Do you take me for a fool?” Even Jaxler is usually not this shameless about lying.

Jaxler is now slightly pissed off. How could somepony dare assume that Jaxler is a liar? “I had it fixed.”

“What do you mean fixed? That thing was beyond fixing, unless you spent a fortune on it.” Indigo comes closer and takes a better look. There are a lot of similarities between this crossbow and the old one, but many parts look new.

“Flux paid for it, he sold his piccolo, If you think I'm lying then just go ask him about it.”

Falcata said, Flux was playing a piccolo, but a single instrument couldn't possibly pay for it. I make them, so I know the prices. “Flux? I highly doubt he would have enough bits... unless.” Indigo gives a snort. “Stiletto, she is rich and Flux is her plaything. She must have paid for it. I just wonder what she will have Flux ask of you in return. Now that you owe him.”

“I saved that pony's life, and we're good friends. I don't owe Flux anything and if you talk shit about Flux, I'll make sure to be a bit more 'rough' next time we spar.” answers Jaxler.

Indigo's eyes narrow. “True, enough. You saved his life and he owed you, but that is no reason to make threats.” He looks at the crossbow again and notices studs made of strange, blue metal. “And what is this? It doesn't look like silver or steel.“

Jaxler takes note of the pony's question. “It's nether silver, steel nor platinum. It's something far too insidious for me to dare speak aloud.”

Indigo gives it a quizzical look. “Insidious? A metal? Star iron makes for very good steel, but I wouldn't call it insidious. And it isn't deep blue...”

“The metal is something to rare for any normal pony to know what it is. ” answers Jaxler.

Normal pony? “So... where would you get a rare and expensive alloy and why use it for something as flamboyant as a decoration?”

“It's not like I had enough of the metal to use it on something more practical and I was sorta obliged to restore my crossbow to its original condition.” answers Jaxler.

“Obliged by who?”

“You don't willingly let something that saved your life fall apart. It's morally incorrect to let something that you owe your life to rot.”

Indigo rises his brow “You have a moral code?”

“Yeah, I do…”

“It would me morally incorrect to let down someopny you owe, but an object? Things fall apart, that's just the way it is. I take care of my tools, but they all eventually have to be replaced anyway.”

“Ponies fall apart a lot easier than inanimate objects and you don't just let something that's saved you from getting destroyed, be destroyed. It's bucking disrespectful, and prideful.” 

Indigo shrugs. “If you feel this strongly about it, fine.” But I'm really surprised Flux would do something like this. “And since you now have such a great weapon, do try to take proper care of it, unless you want to ruin in in a few years by hitting ponies with it and leaving it in the morning dew to get wet. Now that would surely go against your moral code, wouldn't it?”

“Fine”

"Well, since you have a newly repaired weapon, lets change our schedule, get more crossbows and go to the shooting range. Partisan's squad isn't training, its been a while since out last target practice and we have some wooden bolts."

Indigo didn't bug Jaxler about the crossbow again, but he asked Cinder and Billows about the blue metal. They dismissed it as some clever metallurgy trick. There are some ways to change a metal's hue (to make a green pattern on steel breastplate for example) and some metals, such as aluminium, are pretty light. If Adamantine existed, it would be way above Jaxler's ability to own it, so he must have been sold a fake. Still, it looked nice and Indigo decided not to bring up the subject with Jaxler.

(( Summer 260: Exploring the caverns ))
(( In-game Naginata's and Indigo's squads were doing it, but the other reservists were asleep or otherwise busy. ))

A few months after the massacre and some time after Amor asked Jaxler to defend Indigo, the military is finally sent to the caverns. Just as Indigo suggested earlier, Naginata's squad leads the exploration, although without the now-absent Stiletto, which made the choice moot. Contrary to what Indigo wanted, the reservists were told to go down there as well, but he and Jaxler are the only ones to show up at the airlock. Indigo complains that life would be much simpler if ponies did their duty, but can't shake the feeling that the rest of his squad were the smart ones. These caverns are dangerous. Better to face a disciplinary punishment than a possibility of death.

The caverns are like a strange, alien world to the ponies, and they feel as if the surface is a thousand kilometres away. Lit by multiple lamps and light spells, the cave is magnificent, a vast underground expanse of exotic and wonderful sights. Wet walls glisten in the dimness, almost as if gems were embedded in the rock. There are a few occasional stalactites, hanging like small daggers from the cave roof, but with no flux layers above the caverns there isn't enough calcium for there to be lots of them. The floor is muddy and slippery, though covered in some kind of mushrooms and other vegetation. Some of the plants and fungi are as big as trees. A few of them look as if they are bleeding, but upon closer inspection, it turns out to be just a viscous, sticky red sap. Unfortunately, without Stiletto the ponies find it hard to tell which of these plants may be useful. Here and there are a few smooth, valuable spider-webs, usable for making exotic spider silk cloth. Some brightly coloured insects, spiders and other little beasties are occasionally disturbed from their resting places and scurry away from the ponies, but there isn't anything dangerous this time around.

Admiring the sights is not what what they are here for, though, so after a short break to acclimatise themselves to the caves, the soldiers move out. They all walk together in one big group, to quickly overwhelm any possible opposition that may be lurking about. While the caverns seem to stretch on forever, and some strange sounds can occasionally be heard, nothing really troubles the expedition.

A big area around the airlock is explored and a map of it drawn, with ore veins and other potentially useful resources marked clearly. The unicorns set up their alarm spells to make an early warning system and hopefully prevent any more incursions by the monsters that have plagued the town from below. Being the only competent mason in the group, Indigo looks around for narrow passages to wall off a large section of the cavern, but finds no worthwhile choke-points. If the ponies are going to carve a piece of this strange world for themselves, he thinks, it is going to take months of work and a semi-permanent camp down here.

The expedition takes several days to complete their goals ((months in-game, but that would be too long)). Drawing an accurate map, checking every hole and casting multiple spells all take considerable time. The ponies have all the food and drink and other needed provisions, but sleeping in the caverns is still a rather strange and unsettling experience, even when posting guards. To Indigo the caverns are full of eerie beauty, though mysterious and best approached with caution.

When Jaxler learned about being sent to the carerns with Naginata's squad, he made sure to bring good quality metal bolts and filled his flask with strong alcohol. Down there, he drank just enough not to face the caverns sober, but otherwise stayed focused. While some of the expedition stared at everything with wide-eyed stupor or busied themselves with their tasks, not really paying much attention to their surroundings, Jaxler stayed vigilant. Last time he went to the caverns, he almost died horribly, so the place made him edgy. This time he had a squad of competent soldiers on his side, but the knowledge, that some unfathomable abominations, that could jump out of the dark and kill him at any moment, live in the dark places of the earth, made him keep his guard at all times and sleep with proverbial one eye open. While some of the others were exploring, drawing a map, taking samples and casting spells, Jaxler focused on the task at hoof: keeping his eyes and ears open and being paranoid about any potential danger. When they finally returned to the surface, he was happy to be alive and went for a drink.

Finally, when they are done, the group returns to the airlock and are let back into the mines. They return to the surface in the middle of the night, thankful for the dim moonlight above rather than harsh, glaring sunlight after so long underground. For Indigo, it is good to be home, take a bath and sleep in a real bed. He reports the absent reservists to Halberd and demands a disciplinary punishment for them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:33:26 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: May 03, 2012, 05:23:12 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:50:44 pm by Omicega »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: May 05, 2012, 06:10:06 am »

and

Friesden was just finishing her guarding duties for the day, and happily turned her head to home. The job was nice...just a little boring, at times. But now she was going to be able to go home and spend time with her father and her niece and nephew. That was the part of the day she loved best.

Kat intercepts her while she was walking home, Seeing Friesden from quite a distance away. “Friesden!” She calls out happily. trotting over “I just heard! You became a Mayoral guard!” she chirped excitedly.

Friesden turns to Kat with a smile, before giving her a hug. “Kat!” she says happily, before lowering her voice. “Mum...” Her voice returns to a normal level as she says “So you heard, did you? What do you think?”

Kat beams her that sweet warming smile that she always like to give her. she reaches out a hoof to stroke Friesden’s mane softly as she hugs her. Hugging back at the Zony “hehe, I’m very proud of you my little Friesdizzy.. You did a great thing saving Longshot’s life you know? there’s.. Even a gift I’d like to give you about that if you bring me your sword.” she said and ruffles her mane playfully. Happy to talk to her again.

“Well...I have my sword right here, hehe. I was just on duty. I’m...” Her voice drops into a whisper again. “Thank you, mum...”

Kat beams even brighter. Feeling ever so happy and cheerful. And to hear friesden whispers that.. She didn’t hear it fully, but she’s pretty sure she knows what she’s whispering. “It’s alright.. my little Friesdizzy.” Kat said as she strokes softly onto Friesden’s back, hugging her.

Friesden hugs her mother tight. She was so happy now. She had a real family...Her father loved her, and so did her mother...It was unlike ever before.

Kat stayed there in the hug for a nice while before having to regretfully let go, still smiling “Come on Friesdizzy, We need a get-together and talk more. and maybe a Celebration too.. I haven’t get to see you much lately.”

“I’m sorry, I’ve been so busy training with dad and helping him take care of my nephew and niece I haven’t been able to see you much, mu-” Friesden stops, burning with embarrassment. “I-I-I-I’m sorry, I...I meant to say...Um...”

Kat smiles and giggles, pulling Friesden into another hug again “It’s alright Friesdizzy.. I can always be  your mummy.. always..”

Friesden relaxes into the hug, her tension leaving her. “Thank you, mum...”

Kat pats her daughter softly with a smile, letting go of the hug once more. “Come on Friesdizzy, let’s go. We’ve got so much to talk about.”
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: May 05, 2012, 08:54:20 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:50:19 pm by Omicega »
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 239