Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236423 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #2985 on: April 29, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »

W00t 200 pages

The kick knocks the wind out of Jaxler, but the pony still manages to throw his two front hoofs down toward Granite's head.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:59:34 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 29, 2012, 10:52:22 pm »

Granite see's Jaxler's front hooves come down on him. Instead of dodging the attack, Granite charges underneath Jaxler, wrapping the chain around his mid section and slamming into his hind legs.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 29, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »

Jaxler feels a horrible pain in his leg and midsection. In a panic Jaxler flies off the ground. After a few moments of sustained flight Jaxler flues as fast as he can toward Granite in an attempt to tackle him.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 29, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »

Granite gets back up just it time to see Jaxler come flying at him. Granite waits for Jaxler to come within a meter and a half of him and then quickly rolls to the side.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:52 pm »

Jaxler lands and charges the little pony again, in hopes of tackling him.

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: April 29, 2012, 11:11:21 pm »

Granite takes a step back and swings the chain at Jaxler.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: April 30, 2012, 12:02:38 am »

Sorry to interrupt, but I want to post this tonight, and I've been meaning to post it for a day now.

and

After another day of training, Sarissa turns in for the night. Wrapping herself in the hoof-stitched blankets on her bed, she rolls over and blows out the flame in the lamp on her nightstand. Despite being exhausted, her mind is still active. She was becoming increasingly worried about Lady Virtue's well-being. Was there anything that the unicorn could do to help lift her spirits? After contemplating for half an hour, the militia pony decides that a gift might be appropriate. A week ago, she had completed work on a sweater with the official Dawnpick emblem on it. Sarissa had originally planned on selling it for profit, but she could probably part with the item for a good cause. So it was decided; she would approach the duchess tomorrow morning in hopes of improving her mood.

The next morning, Virtue is sitting next to the well, trying to help wake herself up with a bit of splash of cool water in her face. She hadn't slept well at all in the week after Longshot had been hurt by the assassin, but no matter how tired she was, she never slept well. It was very early still, and she hadn't seen many ponies up yet. That was good, that was just what she wanted. This way nopony would have to see her like this. Broken. Unfit to lead an insect, much less over a hundred ponies in what was soon going to be a bloody war. She sighs and rubs her eyes, trying to clear the fogginess in her head. She thought things were going to get better. But they weren't.

She just had to hope that destroying the evidence of Jaxler's guilt, and her knowledge of it, didn't put the final nail in the proverbial coffin. What was she doing to herself and her family?

As usual, Sarissa donned her set of armor and headed out on the short walk to Virtue's office. Hopefully this encounter would go well, especially since she had no bad news for her leader. On her way there, she took notice of a familiar gray mare near the town well. Huh, that's not where she expected to find her. Might as well approach her. Clearing her throat, the unicorn addressed her, “My Lady?”

Virtue blinks to try and clear her mind and shakes her head. Sarissa sounded so far away, and so close at the same time. She weakly looks over to her and realizes the mare was right there addressing her. "Oh... Sarissa... what's the matter?"

The soldier tries to smile despite the pitiful appearance of her leader. She keeps her voice calm, "You can relax, I have nothing to complain of this morning." Sarissa had thought of how she might approach this conversation beforehand, "How have you been doing? Is it appropriate for me to be concerned about you, ma'am?"

"Concerned?" Truthfully, yes. She was more than just a bit concerned about herself... but she was the duchess... her problems were her own. She looks into the water of the well and slowly shakes her head. "No, I'm fine... I'm... fine..."

"Forgive me for being forward ma'am, but I doubt that's entirely true," Sarissa responds matter-of-factly, "I can see it on your face. Hear it in your voice. I know that there have been many misfortunes for us all as of late. Given your position, I realize that you must be wearing these heavy burdens upon your back."

Virtue silently stares into the well for some time, and sees the intense weariness on her face. She nods slowly. "Is it that obvious?"

"I'm afraid so. For a while now, actually," Sarissa lowers her head slightly, "I wanted to say something sooner, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Just let me say that I have faith in you as a leader, ma'am, and that my services are always available to you. If anypony causes trouble for you, just let me know and I'll stop them in their tracks."

Virtue gives her the largest smile she could, which wasn't much. "Thank you..." She lets out a deep breath. "...but I'm afraid that many of the problems I've faced lately are a bit deeper than somepony just causing trouble..."

Sarissa sighs, "I figured so." She scratches behind her head, even though the effort is pointless due to the helmet on her head, "My Lady, if any of this is my fault...the slaughter of the Rainbows...the attack on Gregor...I'll do my best to make it right. Just say the word and I'll do whatever I need to."

Virtue thinks back to having the crossbow shoved in her face and feels a small chill run through her. "I... I don't blame you for any of that..." she says honestly. "I may well be dead now if you hadn't been there." She turns an apologetic expression to her. "I... I don't think I ever thanked you for standing up for me..."

Feeling a bit reassured that Lady Virtue had not gained a negative opinion of her because of those previous actions, Sarissa felt a bit of happiness well up in her heart, "There's no need to thank me, My Lady, even though I do appreciate your gesture." Perhaps now was the best time to give her what she had planned. With a slight glow of magic light, the copper mare pulled a green sweater out from under the plates of her armor. On its sides were the typical red-and-white sunrise and pick insignias that symbolized their community. "I know that it can't even begin to make everything 'okay', but I thought it might help lift your spirits if I gave this to you."

Virtue's eyes light up as she takes the sweater. The symbol... everything about it was perfect. "It... it's beautiful..." she says, holding it out with a forehoof to get a clear look at it.

A smile began to creep up onto Sarissa's face. It wasn't her typical 'I'm gonna kill you' smile either. "Well, I never thought it was all that great," she stated modestly, "Just a simple sweater knitted in dedication to our home. I-I'm quite glad that you like it, ma'am."

Virtue takes the sweater and puts it on immediately, and it fits her perfectly. A true smile forms on her face and hints of tears form in her eyes. She steps forward and draws Sarissa into a hug. "Thank you... you... you don't know how much this means to me."

The armored pony's eyes widen at the completely unexpected gesture. She definitely hadn't predicted that the gesture would provoke such a positive response. "You-you're welcome, ma'am," Sarissa responds in a startled voice. Best not to ruin the mood. She reluctantly returns the hug and pats Virtue lightly on the back.

Virtue finishes the squeeze and backs away, trying to maintain a smile on her face. Sarissa really didn't know how much it meant to her. Just knowing somepony cared... She sniffles and wipes her eyes. "Thank you, again..." She felt like letting the dam break and spill everything that had piled up to make her feel miserable the past year or more, but she had probably already stepped over the line a bit by hugging Sarissa like that.

Sarissa kept her composure and tries to hide any uncomfortable feelings that the hug may have stirred up in her, "It's no problem, My Lady. So long as it helps put a small spark of light in a time of darkness, I feel that it was worth my efforts."

“It was,” she replies.  “I do feel better knowing you care.”

The brown pony nods, "Of course. You are our cherished leader." She turns to see that other ponies are beginning to pop out of the woodworks and become active in the early morning light, "My apologies, but I should probably be going. I do have other duties to fulfill. I wish you a good day, My Lady."

"Of course," Virtue says, waving her off.  She had duties to get to of her own, of course.  Now that her mind was a bit more at ease though, she felt like taking a nap and maybe getting some real sleep for the first time in a week.  Now that she had time to think about it, she felt a little silly for reacting so strongly to the sweater, but she really had had a hard... well, last few years.  She starts back to the keep, hoping to catch Harvest Moon before he headed off to work.  Maybe she could get him to watch over Serenity while she took a short nap.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: April 30, 2012, 12:53:53 am »

, and

Being in a position of some importance in Dawnpick, and being one of Virtue's closest friends, it hadn't taken any effort for Longshot to make his way past Fuscina at the door to her office. He'd spent a few minutes just catching up with the duchess, and doing what he could to let her know that she wasn't alone in Dawnpick. Even before he'd been attacked, it was blatantly obvious that everything that was going on was weighing heavily on her. Maybe too heavily.

But she seemed to be in a reasonably good mood at the moment, so he finally gets to the matter that had been on his mind ever since the day he'd nearly been killed by the mad mare from the rainbows. Friesden had saved his life, and he thought she deserved some sort of reward for that.

“I agree,” Virtue replies to the suggestion. “She put herself at significant risk to rescue you... when she said she wanted to join the militia I wasn't sure it was a good idea, but I think she's proven herself.” She thinks for a bit, not really coming up with much in the way of an appropriate reward. Perhaps a special piece of armor like she's gifted to Falcata? Come to think of it, Bardiche deserved something too for being wounded in battle... “Do you have any ideas?”

Longshot nods. “I do...” He makes a motion to Fuscina, who was diligently guarding the entrance to the office. “I'd like your opinion, of course... but I was thinking... maybe she could... become a guardspony?” He makes a nervous gesture with a forehoof. “For the mayor? Just in case. You know.”

“A guardspony...” Virtue looks down into her desk and thinks about it. Perhaps it wasn't a bad idea. There were some complications though... “That might be a good idea.” She recalls her conversation with Gregor, and shudders at the possibility of somepony else making an attempt on Longshot's life. Or anypony else who might be in his position.

“I thought so, too,” he adds. “She'd get a small pay raise, wouldn't have to respond to normal militia duties, and she gets a fancy title for it. And it should be a pretty cushy job.” He pauses at the realization that he'd just insulted Fuscina's position, but she was too stoic to even cut her eyes to him.

Virtue nods. “Yes, that sounds like it might be a good idea if she's up for it. Why don't you go fetch her? We can discuss it, maybe she'd like that.”

He stands and moves toward the door. “Alright then, I'll be right back.”

~~~~~~~~~

Friesden nervously follows Mayor Longshot. She thought she might get in trouble...Maybe the bad pony wasn’t as bad a pony as she thought? Maybe they were just playing around...Well... She’d just have to own up to what she’d done. Maybe she’d be able to see her father again...Maybe. If miss Virtue didn’t lock her up forever.

Longshot leads her inside Virtue’s office and directs her to a chair next to him, across from Virtue.  She gives each a small nod and gives Friesden a small smile.  “Hello, Friesden.  Did Longshot tell you why I wanted to see you?”

“Um...No. Um. It’s about that...that pony I...I...I killed, though, isn’t it?”

“It’s related to that, yes,” she replies.  “First, I think I speak for all of us when I say that it’s a lucky thing you were there, Longshot owes you his life.”

Longshot nods and gives Friesden a grin.  “I do, I don’t think I’d have made it out of that alive if you hadn’t come to help me.”

Friesden starts to relax a bit. She had gotten it right, then. “Um...Thank you,” she says, a slight hint of embarrassment in her voice.

“I really mean that,” Virtue adds.  “But, to get to why we wanted to talk to you, Longshot was so impressed, he asked if you could be his personal guard.  Or whoever is mayor at the time.  I think it’s a good idea.”  She leans forward on her desk a bit.  “Are you interested?”

“M-m-m-me?” Friesden’s voice squeaks. “A personal guard? R-r-r-r-really?”

“Of course,” Longshot says to her, laying a hoof on her withers.  “You’re brave and clearly pretty skilled with that sword of yours.  I’d be proud to have you watching out for me.”

“Yes! Of course! I’d love to!” says Friesden, a huge smile on her face, almost bouncing up and down in happiness.

Longshot grins at Virtue, who gives an approving nod.  “Alright then, it’s settled!  I’ll make sure to get the paperwork all filled out.  We may have to find somepony to help you out.  Just one pony isn’t really enough, but I’ll figure something out.”

“Thank you mister Longshot!” says Friesden. “Um...Mister Longshot, miss Virtue, can I go and tell dad?”

“Certainly!  I’m sure he’ll be happy to hear about it.”  Virtue fetches the requisite paperwork, and Longshot stands to lead Friesden out.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: April 30, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »

Jaxler takes the strike but continues to try to tackle Granite

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: April 30, 2012, 07:05:51 pm »

Granite leans into Jaxler's tackle and slams into him as Jaxler charges Granite.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: April 30, 2012, 07:12:09 pm »

After Granite slams into Jaxler, the pony is momentarily stunned. After a recomposing himself the pegasus tries to get his forehoofs around the around the pony so that he can force him to the ground.

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:14 pm »

Granite headbutts Jaxler and then tries to slam him into the ground.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: April 30, 2012, 07:19:54 pm »

Jaxler takes the headbutt. Jaxler intensely pissed that he was losing, and to the same pony that used to idolize him. Jaxler wasn't about to be this demoralized. So when Jaxler hit the ground he channeled all his rage into his right hoof and threw a single punch toward Granite with the full speed and might of a pissed off drunkard.

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: April 30, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »

The punch narrowly glances past his left ear as Granite proceeds to pummel Jaxler by hooves with ever last inch of his anger, love, and sorrow.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: April 30, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »

Jaxler takes the pummeling without showing a single shred of pain, and manages to try to kick Granite in the lower body with his rear hoofs.

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 239