Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236417 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #2910 on: April 28, 2012, 12:18:45 am »

and

Friesden slowly walked through the corridor to her home, her eyes glazed over, the sword only just above the ground as her grip had slackened. It was still coated in blood. She was nearly home. Still in a daze, she knocked on the door, and tried to push it open. As she pushed the door slides open to reveal her home much as she had left it that morning. Her adoptive father sat by his table a plate of food in front of him, as the door opens he stands to greet his daughter.

“Friesden, you’re home ear...” he stops in mid word upon noticing the blood soaked sword in her grip. He goes to meet her by the door. “What happened? Are you okay?” he asks while looking out the door for signs of any more fighting, yet seeing none.

The sword slips out of Friesden’s grasp, clattering to the floor. “I...I...I...I...I killed somepony, father,” she says, her voice strange. “She...she was a bad pony...And...I killed her...”

Fauchard pauses for a moment, thinking back to the war to the first time he had killed another pony. “I see. Come inside.” He leads her in levitates the sword to a shelf off to the side and closes, and locks, the door behind Friesden. Fauchard takes a seat and begins, “I knew this day would come, but for your sake I’d hoped it wouldn’t be so soon...Do you want to tell me what happened?”

Friesden sits down clumsily. “I...I...I was...I was guarding...Mister Longshot... And... And... He was talking to the diplomat...And... And... And suddenly she tried to attack him, and...And...And...And I drew my sword...And...And...I killed her...”

Fauchard tries to hide his concern about the death of a second diplomat within 2 years and instead says, “You only did your job Friesden. If you hadn’t killed her than Longshot might be dead now, and would that have been better? Taking their first life is hard for every soldier, but...if you still want to follow this path...It will get easier. I can promise you that.”

“I...I’m not...I’m...I’m not sure anymore,” she whispers. “I...I...I got to help somepony...by killing another pony... I... I wish... I don’t know what I wish for anymore.”

“Friesden...”, Fauchard pauses unsure of what exactly to say, “I can’t tell you what to do now. You are a grown mare, and it is your decision, but you have a talent with that blade, and you have the potential to be a great warrior if that is what you want. You also have talent as an artist and a poet, should you wish not to fight. Whatever decision you make, I will support you, know that.”

“I...I don’t know. You...You said it...It gets easier?” asks Friesden, a hint of trepidation in her voice. “Maybe...”

Fauchard looks uncomfortable at this line of questioning. “Yes...yes it does. When...when I killed for the first time, I handled it worse than you are handling it right now...but by the end of the war...Yes. It does get easier.”

“I...I...I’ll...I’ll stay. I’ll...I’ll...I’ll stay with this. I...I just hope...I just hope you’re right.” Friesden stands, shakily, and walks over to her father, and, clumsily, hugs him. “I...I trust you, dad.”

Fauchard hugs his daughter back, “I love you Friesden.”

“I love you too, dad.”
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:11 am »

Jaxler's journal

26th Granite, 260

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!! A freaking law enforcement pony showed up. WHAT THE HELL AM
((the rest of the page appears to be burnt off))

27th hematite, 260

Some new ponies showed up from out of nowhere. Apparently now we have some new ponies in the militia and guard. I really am glad that we're gonna have more ponies around to help out with the war.

1st Malachite, 260

I spent all damn day in a woodworkers workshop carving out some useless crap. Nothing is more mundane then making a mug out of a log for the umpteenth time. I swear I really need to get stone cold drunk before I go berserk from boredom.

12th Malachite, 260

I woke up under a tree today with a horrible pain in my head and a stone pot to my left and my crossbow under a pile of leaves. I walked around for like five minutes trying to find out where I was, when I realized that I was outside the walls and that a Cyclopes was attacking the fort.

In my experiences with cyclopes, the best thing you can do when you see one is turn around, walk away, hide under a rock, cry, and hope the thing ignores you and continues its rampage somewhere else. But regardless of how much I probably should have done that, I still felt obliged to attack the thing when I saw Kat charge after it in alone. As much as I feel she cheated me out of my job I really didn’t like the idea of watching her get torn limb from limb. So I attacked the thing and started shooting off my bolts and made the cyclopes into a giant pin cushion. The damn thing still wouldn’t die so me and Kat had to start bashing the thing’s head in with our crossbows. Anyway, Partisan eventually showed up and finished the monster off with a single bolt to the thing’s head.

11th Galena, 260

Some zebra’s showed up today. I traded some of my wooden crafts for some really strong booze. The merchant said something about the wooden crafts being masterwork but, meh I still think I’m wasting my time making these crappy works of “art” as some ponies would call.

6th Limestone, 260

Today bubbles made a neat bone whip. I think Granite might be interested in using it, but I doubt I could ever buy it off bubbles. still I think Granite deserves an actual whip not just some random chain I got off some soldier I killed years ago.

4th Sandstone , 260

Well it’s my birthday today… Again. I turn 74 today. I plan on getting stone cold drunk today, and not even showing up at my craft’s pony workshop today.

16th Opal, 260

Today we the guard killed another Diamond dog which only reminds me of how horrible working with wood is in comparison to being a guard pony…

14th Slate, 261

A rainbow pony “diplomat” showed up today. She tried to kill longshot before getting her head impaled by friesden’s sword. I really think that his means war and I also think that that wasn’t a diplomat, but instead was more of an assassin.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:24:32 am by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: April 28, 2012, 10:11:14 pm »

Jaxler was walking toward the keep. He desperately had to talk with Virtue, else he could lose his life. The new pony who showed up by the name of Jury was by far the most traumatizing thing Jaxler had ever seen in years. The idea of a judge who was appointed by the crown being Dawnpick was so unsettling that Jaxler actually actually felt some level of fear creep into his soul. So, once Jaxler finally reached the keep Jaxler extended his hoof and knocked on the door. "HELLO, I NEED TALK WITH VIRTUE!"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:17:38 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:12 pm »

Virtue is startled by the sudden shout at her door.  For a brief moment she considers pretending she wasn't there or asking Storm Cloud to deflect the pony who'd come with what sounded like a problem she didn't feel the least bit like dealing with.  But she wasn't going to do that.  "That sounded like Jaxler... go let him in," she says to Storm Cloud.

The pegasus nods and heads over to the door to let Jaxler in.  As he enters, Virtue hesitantly asks,
"What's the problem?"
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: April 28, 2012, 10:25:54 pm »

As Jaxler walked in he saw Virtue sitting by her desk. The dark pony pulled up a chair and sat down before consulting Virtue. “Can I ask Storm Cloud to leave the room, I need to talk to you about something personal, and I don’t feel comfortable with him listening in.”

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: April 28, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »

"Oh, um... alright."  She nods in Storm Cloud's direction, and he steps away, heading up to the barracks in the top of the keep.  As he disappears, she looks back to Jaxler.  "What's the problem?"

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33:20 pm »

Jaxler waited for Storm Cloud to leave the room before saying nervously “I-I don’t plan on dying” before regaining his normal composure “So, what the hell do I do Jury discovers That I’m wanted?”

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38:53 pm »

Jury... she'd forgotten all about Jaxler being wanted for theft.  "I... uh... I... well..."  What was she going to do?  Hiding this from Jury could be a very bad thing, especially if she found out later.  Jaxler wouldn't be the only one in serious trouble if that happened.  But what else could she do?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: April 28, 2012, 10:48:46 pm »

Jaxler was dumbstruck by Virtue's silence "Please for the love of god don't tell me that you lied when you said you wouldn't have me executed." Jaxler's face then hardened "I'm not dying like an animal for something I did years ago."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:48 pm »

"No.  No, I'm not going to have you executed," she assures him.  "I... I just... it's out of my hooves."  She gives him a sincere, worried look.  "Coupledye doesn't trust me to administer justice anymore.  I can't say that I blame them.  I'm not going to do anything to you... and if it's in my power I'm going to see to it that nothing happens."  She sighs weakly.  "But Jury... I don't have any real authority over her."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:49 pm »

Jaxler sat there with a blank expression on his face save for his left eye witch he failed to notice had started twitching for about a minute before recomposing himself. "So.. If somepony tells on me, or another wanted poster comes.. I'm dead..." Jaxler sat silently for a moment before continuing "I spend eight without lying or doing a crime, not doing a single thing that I think is amoral, I save 3 pony's lives, I almost die protecting somepony, I do try my best to be a good pony and STILL the gods want to break me."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:25:24 pm by jaxler »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:41 pm »

"I..." Virtue trails off, unsure of what to tell him.  There really wasn't anything she could do.  Did she dare try to hide the evidence of Jaxler's crimes from Jury?  "Jaxler... I believe you've shown that you're not a bad pony.  It's why I decided not to do anything about this when I found out about it."  She looks aside.  "I won't tell Jury anything about this.  I... I'm going to destroy any evidence I have that I ever knew about it.  She won't find out from me.  But... as much as it pains me to tell you this... it's all I can do."

She returns her eyes to his.  "I'd do anything I could to help you or anypony else here... and this is all I can do."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: April 28, 2012, 11:55:29 pm »

Jalxer said solemnly "I don't want to die", got up, and started to walk towards the door.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:39 am »

and

This takes place the day of the diplomat's death, later in the afternoon.

- - - - - -

Virtue slowly makes her way up the stairs to the third level of the main living area where their rainbow pony guests were staying.  She wasn't at all convinced this was a good idea, but she needed to talk to somepony about what had happened.  Somepony who might be able to help her.  She pauses in front of the door and raises a hoof. After taking several moments to calm herself and convince herself this was the best thing to do, she nervously taps at the door.  "Mr. Gregor?" she asks in a trembling voice.  "Are you there?" After a few moments, the door opens to reveal Gregor standing just inside. "Lady Virtue?"

"G-good... you're here," she responds.  She takes a few moments to level her voice.  "D-do you mind if we speak about something?  S-something else has happened... I... I think you may be the only pony I can turn to for advice..."

"Dad, who's at the door?"

"It's the lady Virtue, she wants to talk for a moment. I'll be stepping out for a bit, Mari. Tell your mother if she comes back."

"Alright dad." With that, Gregor steps out the door with Virtue. "Yes, I had heard rumors that something else had happened, but nothing concrete."

She nods slowly and gestures for him to follow.  "Yes... there... there has been another... death..."  She leads them down the stairs toward her office.  "Perhaps we should talk in private..."

"...In that case, yes, we should talk in private." As she leads them inside, she asks for Fuscina to leave the two fo them alone for the moment.  "You say you've heard some rumors... what have you heard?"

"Well... that the Rainbows killed somepony, that another diplomat died, that the diplomat blackmailed you into..."

She perks up a bit.  "Blackmail...?"

"...mmmoving right along. What actually happened, if I may?"

She decides to drop the comment and complies with the request.  "Um... yes... well... the diplomat was killed.  She was the only one, thank goodness."  She sighs and tries to picture what must have happened.  "She... attacked our mayor, and one of the soldiers killed her."

"...I see." He ponders for a moment. "Was there any provocation? Why did she attack him?"

"I... well... I wasn't there, but he said she was overly insistent on seeing me.  When he denied her, she struck him.  Then she drew a dagger..."

Gregor sighs heavily. "I... was afraid of something like this."

Virtue looks surprised.  "You... expected this?  I don't understand..."

"Do you want my honest opinion miss Virtue?" She pauses for a moment before nodding cautiously.  "Yes... please... if you think it would help."

"I believe that the reason this mare was soo insistent on seeing you and you alone, is because she was sent here to assassinate you."

Her blood runs cold and her eyes widen.  She says nothing. "...Miss Virtue?" Gregor looks concerned. He approaches, laying a hoof on Virtue's withers. She blinks a few times and shakes off the mental stun as best she could.  "As-ass-assassinate m-me?"  Glaive was right.  He was *right*.  She didn't want to believe it... but he was right...  "F-for... b-but I... I d-didn't..."

"You're the dutchess of Dawnpick. That's all that matters to them. If they went after you, it's because they want to send a message: nopony gives the Shadowglazes a bloody nose and gets away with it." Virtue says nothing for a few moments.  It made sense, in a morbid sort of way.  She rests her head in a hoof.

"Wh-what... what can we do?  What can we expect?"

"Once they get word of her failure, they either try again, or come in force. If they attack, I'd expect... moderate paramilitary assets? Not quite on par with an actual army, but still a significant threat." That wasn't much of a consolation... but it was /something/ at least.

"How many?  Do you think we stand a chance?"

"Based on what I've seen of your militia? Aye, I think so. A fairly good chance, at that." She breathes an almost imperceptible sigh of relief.  "That... that's good I suppose."

She looks him in the eye.  "Do you think there will ever be peace between us again?"

This question seems to confuse Gregor a bit. "...With the Shadowglazes? No, I think not. You've damaged their pride, and I don't think they'll soon forget it."

Virtue slumps into her chair.  "Then we've made an enemy... one we'll never mend relations with."  She hangs her head slightly.  And she and her family would never be safe again.  Actually... "What about my family?  They... they want me dead.  What about my children?  Are they safe?"

"I... couldn't tell you. Even among our people, foals are off-limits. There are a handful who are just underhanded enough to go after somepony's foals, but I just don't know enough about these Shadowglazes to tell if they'd do it."

"I see..."  If something happened to her children... her will to live would be gone in that instant.  She had to hope that would never happen.  "...th-thank you.. for what you've told me so far.  Do you have... any advice?  Anything?" she asks, with a guarded hope in her eyes.

Gregor is deep in thought for several moments, obviously debating something. Finally, he speaks. "Miss Virtue... if I offered to lend some of my own security forces to Dawnpick,at least for the short term..."

"Your security forces?"  She thinks for a second.  "I... Ireally appreciate the help... but I don't know how I feel about endangering your men..."

"It's their job to protect ponies. Thattypically means putting themselves in harm's way."

"Yes, I suppose so."  She considers the option.  Theyneeded all of the help they could get.  "If you're willing, then I think wecould use their help.  We'd pay you for their assistance, whatever the price."

"Thank you, ma'am. I will send word to mydaughters as soon as possible."

She nods, imagining that she felt a little safer with helpon the way.  "Thank you for offering."  She sighs.  "I just hope they makeit in time... how long do you think it might take?"

"It took us about... two months formLaceabbey to Dawnpick, but we made many stops for several days at atime. So allowing for a straight march... maybe half that?"

"A month..."  She considers the logistics.  It was faster than she could have hoped for anyway.  And help she didn't expect in the first place  "...that should be fast enough I think.  Again, thank you for the support."

"That's a month after the letter arrives, so allow a few weeks."

"Oh, yes, of course.  Still, I think that will be timeenough. I assume by them sending an assassin..." she says withdifficulty, "...that they might not have a large force nearby.  Maybe... but I hope not."

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

She thinks for a moment before shaking her head. "No... no, I don't think so.  You've been a big help... but I think it's up to us for the moment."

"Very well. I hope the rest of your day is farless eventful, miss Virtue." He bows stightly, and leaves.

"So do I..." she whispers under her breath as he leaves.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: April 29, 2012, 12:09:44 am »

She watches him leave, but words similarly leave her.  She felt awful for him, but there was literally nothing she could do.  If Jury found out about it, she was powerless to do a thing.  "I'm sorry..." she mutters to herself as he leaves.  She searches through her files to find the wanted notice she received about Jaxler and lays it out in front of her.  She was about to commit a serious crime herself.  That was a sobering thought...

Still, she stands and moves over to a nearby lamp.  As the papers ignite and burn to ash before her eyes, she can't help but imagine everything in her life could follow suit very soon for what she was doing.

She could stand doing that to herself.  But to the rest of her family... no... she didn't want to do that to them.  She feels a mixture of sadness and anger in her over it all.  There wasn't an answer to this.  Not one that kept everypont happy.  Why?  Why did this have to keep happening?  And why couldn't she just do what she was supposed to?  Even after the threat she received from Coupledye she couldn't.

She just wanted to kick something.  So she does.  A cabinet behind her collapses under the assault of her hooves, spilling hundreds of papers onto the floor around her.
  "Buck..." she mutters to herself as she takes in the mess.  She didn't feel like cleaning this up, and after a moment she just drops to the ground, surrounded by the loose pages.  She covers her face with her hooves and just sits there.  At least Storm Cloud didn't have to see this...
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 239