Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236329 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #2640 on: April 19, 2012, 10:52:55 pm »

Jaxler feels a horrible sting roll through his chest, but shows no signs of pain as he flings his crossbow toward Granite, again.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: April 19, 2012, 10:59:37 pm »

Granite's mind raced and the world began to slow as he saw the chain bounce off of Jaxler as he charged Granite again, so Granite did the first thing he thought of and took a step to his front-left ending for a fraction of a second next to Jaxler, he then spun in a circle with his chain outstretched, hoping to lash Jaxler in his front legs as he finishes his rotation.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: April 19, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »

Jaxler is caught off guard by the attack and fails to dodge. when the chain hits Jaxler he collapses and hits the ground face first, and stops moving altogether.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: April 19, 2012, 11:06:50 pm »

When Granite stops spinning he sees Jaxler down. "Alright Jaxler, you said you teach me about fighting dirty. And you have a 'high pain tolerance' I don't buy it." Granite proceeds to spin the golden chain, readying it for a quick strike in case he gets up to strike again. "I can see you breathing, you know that right? My sister's cat played possum, I checked the cat's well being. I got clawed in the face. Twice. I ain't falling for it."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: April 19, 2012, 11:23:25 pm »

Granite was making a mistake. The pony he was allowing Jaxler to lay down and think. Granite was faster than he had anticipated. He also had a weapon with a range that was several times longer then his own. He was also able to see though his little trap which meant his time was borrowed. Jaxler looked around him for something that might be able to help him win the fight, there were a few rocks and a long stick within his reach, both of which were inferior weapons. So, Jaxler decided that he needed to get Granite within his range effective range, but the perceptive little pony needed some convincing. So, Jaxler held his breath until he passes out.

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:34 pm »

"And Jaxler stops breathing..." Granite sighs. What can I use, this chain won't stand a chance against his crossbow in close quarters, maybe I could throw something at him... Granite thought. He looks around and notices a long stick and a few rocks. He proceeds to throw each rock at Jaxler. Noticing it's not very effective, he rests his chain around his neck and picks up the stick. Granite then uses the stick in a manner similar to picking locks to take the crossbow away from Jaxler. Successfully prying the crossbow out of Jaxler's hooves, Granite then kicks it a few meters away from him. Granite then wraps his chain around Jaxler's neck, being mindful to drag him slightly out of reach. He then finds a tree and proceeds to securely chain him up to it. Granite then picks up a rock as a weapon and waits for Jaxler to wake up.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:10 pm »

When Jaxler fades back into consciousness he realizes that he's chained to a tree. he then notices that his crossbow is a few feet away, which was surprising. Jaxler still had some tricks up his sleeve, though. Granite was dumb enough to use weapon to restrain Jaxler. Now Granite was practically defenseless, and all Jaxler had to do now was escape. "Granite... W-were's my crossbow."

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: April 19, 2012, 11:51:43 pm »

"Over there." Granite nods at the discarded weapon and then walks up to Jaxler. "Well, I guess this is goodnight!" Granite then bashes Jaxler in the face a good twelve times with his rock until he looses consciousness... "I win Jaxler, sweet dreams..." Granite then goes off to get Panacea.

((Scene?))
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:57:19 pm by L1wW »

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: April 20, 2012, 12:58:40 am »

This takes place before the last update

((18th Moonstone in the 258 year of the Mythic Age))
((Amor & Jaxler After-battle “Bar” Scene))

Amor was having a late lunch after concluding her work on blocks, at this time the village held more than enough for any future building projects. At the wooden table she slid a tray off her back and onto the table, cautiously not to spatter her carrot soup and glazed diorite mug filled with water. The dining hall was empty except for few other ponies that had the day off and were finishing their lunch.

The metallic color pony ate and attempted to keep her thoughts from dwelling in the dark parts of her mind. Even I may not be alone in my cursing this place in anger, more than once has Carmine do so during a bad day. Maybe, it is for the best that everypony here wants to defend the Crown’s social project. The mare set there enjoying her food until her ears swept back at the sound of a belligerent Pegasus enter the hall. Amor done her best to avoid Jaxler’s perceptive eyes, she was a decent spy and engaging him in small talk as an alternative to suspiciously evading him. Unfortunately, this day was not going to go as plan and she so happen to be setting to the left of Jaxler’s chair.

Jaxler had just entered the meeting hall with a barrel of the fort’s strongest booze on his back. He had gone through another day of patrols and annoyances and had to help put down a poor little diamond dog and was ready to enjoy the rest of the day. As Jaxler walked over to his favorite seat he saw a familiar looking mare sitting next to his chair. “Aye there Amor.”

Upon hearing the stallion, the mare is unsettled but controls her nerves as she silently slurps on the soup from the bowl held by hooves. Normally there were stoneware eating utensils for Unicorns but even if Amor did not use them, she still was elegant about eating. She places the bowl down and in her soft voice greets the Pegasus. “Hallo Jaxler, been enjoying your day?”

“It’s been pretty average” Jaxler rolls the barrel of booze of his back and sits down in his seat. Jaxler then took a sip of booze, laid down his decrepit crossbow down on the table, and started leaning back in his chair. “how’s yours been?”.

Amor was fine until Jaxler placed his crossbow down on the table besides her causing her to jump a bit. The tool was on her list of hates and it was a very short list. The mare recomposes herself to answer. “Each day I work, more Dawnpick is built up and the day that I take my leave draws near.” The Unicorn’s voice held some despair. “Besides working on orders of boring stone blocks, I guess the day could be worse.” The mare’s pronounced with more perk.

Jaxler was surprised to see a pony react in such a way to an unloaded crossbow, but figured he should just ignore it, mainly because he was more interested in what she just said. “what do you mean by ‘the day that I take my leave draws near’, are you leaving Dawnpick or something?”

I must really be slipping. The mare reflected with a sundry of conflicting emotions. “For a decent part of a century I’ve been a journeying mason, moving from one project to another. Before coming to Dawnpick, I was rebuilding an old road from Coupledye to New Saddle… took three years to complete. Had a hiatus from work and then journeyed outside of the kingdom until I found my way here.” The mare stops to drink down some soup, water and asks deflecting from the whole truth. “What about you?”

“I don’t know you well enough to tell you why I came here.” Jaxler then took a long sip of booze and gave Amor a nasty gaze. “So, what was it like building that road?” said without any sign of emotion in his voice.

Amor was worried about Jaxler’s spiteful gaze and change in attitude, it caught her curiosity and she took another sip of her soup before talking. “It was pitiless toil some days, others a pleasure but after it was done I regret some of the things that I done or didn’t. Though saying goodbye to friends was the most difficult part of restructuring that road.” She said with sorrow and pushes her tray away but kept the mug.

Jaxler sighed and dropped his gaze. “Well, we all have regrets.” Jaxler then pointed his hoof at a huge burn scar on his side. “I guess your doing a good thing and not letting them define you.” Jaxler took another sip of booze and gazed down at his crossbow.

Amor drinks down more water as her throat becomes dry and then looks where Jaxler was pointing only to divert her eyes for modesty’s sake. She notes the scar but it causes her no discomfort. “Best not to wear the past as a cutie mark; I imagine my father would say.” She said with less sorrow. “I am curious as to how you found yourself in Dawnpick; this place is extremely out of the way… tell me if this is digging too much in your past.” The Unicorn places her near empty mug on the table and gives the stallion a face full of consideration if it was not her place to ask.

Jaxler shrugged, “sometimes out of the way is a good thing” Jaxler took another sip of booze and added “I learned that a group of migrants were going to some far off town and I decided to come along.” He then laughed a little bit “deciding to come here was probably the best thing I’ve ever done”.

So he is telling me he just so happen on migrants, candid story that I would desire more interesting. Like him running from the law or a marks-pony soldier who had his unit destroyed but this does well. The mare thought and adds. “Dawnpick is a light upon the dawn that is this rough unyielding night.” Amor said with a smooth voice and finishes the contents of her mug.

Jaxler tilts his head and thinks for a moment. Jaxler really hadn’t gotten to thinking about Dawnpick in relative to the rest of the world, But in all his years Jaxler had never seen such a joyful town. In fact most the places he went were downright horrid.  “yeah, I guess it is”

Amor dwells on her own words for a moment and finds it best to excuse herself and gets out of the seat. “It has been very pleasant speaking with you again, Jaxler… would not annoy me if we done so again.” The mare courtesies, then places her mug on the tray which she grabs with teeth and makes her leave.

Jaxler was confused as to why Amor would be so formal. All they were doing was sharing a meal. “Please don’t curtsey, it’s not like I’m royalty.”

The Unicorn turned her head and mouthed. “Noted, Jaxler.” The mare returned her awareness to where is was going and continued on.

((Scene End.))
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:30:33 am by Psalms01 »
Victoria intus Amicitia; Amor et Patientiam; Salve ad Armentum.
-Psalms01, your Adoring Omnidimensional Overlord.
> Dues Ex Magma!
> "Nah, we're fine. We have too much food anyway, bad thoughts from seeing vermin never killed nopony, refuse stockpile is less clogged, and cats are safely tucked away in a cage." -Maklak
> Dwarfy Proverb: "Every-dwarf grows there beard to different lengths."
> Psalms tries to type, but the words are deflected by the Google Docs' +broken code+! -Telgin

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: April 20, 2012, 02:19:22 am »

The day following the deaths of the Rainbow traders, Glaive makes his way to the town keep, intending to speak with the Lady Virtue. Glaive pauses for a moment to collect his thoughts outside her office, before raising his left hoof and knocking on the door.

The door opens after a moment, but instead of Virtue being behind it, Glaive sees Harvest Moon.  The pegasus looks him over briefly.  “Glaive?  What is it?”

Glaive is surprised for a moment but quickly recollects himself. “Hello Harvest, I would like to speak with Lady Virtue if she’s available.”

He looks behind himself for a moment, and there is a hushed phrase spoken.  Harvest Moon nods and opens the door, motioning for Glaive to enter.  “I... I’ll leave you two,” he says, starting up the stairs away from the office.  Virtue doesn’t look up from her desk

Glaive enters the room and closes the door behind him. He moves to a seat across from Virtue. “Milady, permission to speak freely?”

She looks up after a moment, revealing an extremely tired face.  Her mane falls across her face briefly before she tucks it behind her ear.  She blinks heavily and replies, “Of course.  What is it?”

Glaive keeps his eyes on her, “While I am, admittedly, fuzzy on the details, the events of yesterday make it clear to me, that we are not as insignificant as we might have once thought ourselves. I don’t know if the diplomate was poisoned or if it was a coincidence, but I suspect it was truly  the former. Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but I think that somepony wanted to start a war. Does this match with what you know?”

She looks at him silently for a while, most of the emotion drained from her features.  “I don’t know.  I don’t think anypony here would want to do that, but at this point I think I’d believe anything.”  She looks down briefly.  “Do you think it was the Rainbows?  Or... somepony here?”

Glaive shakes his head, “I don’t know, but if I was Partisan, I’d be working night and day to find out. Still either one is possible. But that is only second to my real reason for coming here today.” Glaive hesitates before he continues, “I’m not convinced that the threat is truly gone milady. If I was that somepony trying to start a war, and if there was any doubt left in my mind that one would come, after the massacre, then, I know what I would do. I..I would try to kill you and make it look like the surviving darkbolt did it. That way both sides would have a reason to fight. I fear you may be in danger.”

The lifelessness in her eyes vanishes in a moment to be replaced with fear.  She sits up a bit and fights to think of something to say.  “You... you do?”  That made sense... it really did.  She really, really hoped he was wrong... but it was hard to fault the logic.  She felt sick again, and she could feel her heart beating faster in her chest.

Glaive quickly adds, “I must stress that I could very well be wrong. There are numerous other possibilities. He could have had a natural heart attack, or the poisoner could be a bigot in Dawnpick with a grudge against the Rainbows with no desire to hurt you, or the pony behind it all could be laying in the crypt right now, but it is a possibility, and I think you should consider forming a guard for yourself, and your family. Just in case.”

Stiletto had offered just such a thing to her not long ago, but the mare had left with Glyph over a month ago.  Not to mention she knew that accepting Stiletto’s offer would have gone over very, very poorly with a number of ponies in Dawnpick, especially Indigo.  But now... now she may well be in serious danger.  She trusted everypony in the militia, and she trusted Glaive’s judgment here.

With some effort she calms her breathing and and nods slowly.  “I... I never thought I’d see the day that I’d need such a thing...”  She thinks over the rest of her family for a moment.  If she had to give her life to save everypony in Dawnpick she’d do it, but if anypony hurt her family...  “I hope you’re wrong Glaive... I really do... but if you’re not...”  She hangs her head and places her face in her hooves.  “I don’t know what to do... maybe... one or two ponies from the militia or guard...”

As Virtue finishes Glaive interjects. “Two ponies working alternating shifts should be sufficient. But, I would ask that you are very careful with who you choose, you should offer the position only to those ponies you trust the most...” Glaive thinks back to the events of yesterday, specifically to Sarissa and the darkbolt, “And to those that you can trust to keep a cool head in a bad situation.”

She looks up from her hooves and studies the stallion in front of her.  He had been one of the most devoted militia ponies in the fort.  At the very least Sienna and Falcata owed their lives to him.  Probably more.  She rests her eyes on the shield hanging from his side and the idea begins to cement in her head.  That shield had been earned.  He might not want the job... maybe he was just concerned for her... but she trusted her life with him.  “Glaive... would... would you be willing to watch over my family?”

Glaive looks down at the ground. This is what he had been hoping for, but why did he suddenly feel hesitation? He took several moments to clear his head before he looked up at her again. “I...I will do it if I am the one you would choose. I can stand by your side in your meetings, and watch over you and your family during the day, and I can and will protect you and them with my life, but if...if a battle were to come to Dawnpick, I don’t know if I could stay here safe with you while the militia was out there fighting and dying to protect us, but I can try milady, if that is your will.”

She imagines that maybe a small smile formed on her face, but it was probably something closer to relief.  “Glaive... I trust you at least as much as everypony else in the militia and guard.  I know how devoted you are... to save Sienna when you don’t even have any relation to her.”  She looks at the shield again and reassures herself that he was the best pick.  “I trust them all, of course, but I know you’d do an excellent job.  I trust you completely.  Knowing you were watching out for me... for Harvest Moon and our children... I could rest easier...”

Glaive stands up out of his chair and bends his knee before the Baroness, he moves his most valued possession the Touch of Leaves before him, standing it in front of him, balanced with one hoof, the sigils placed upon it facing outwards toward the baroness. Glaive, his eyes closed, begins to speak his oath to her, "I hereby swear to you, Lady Virtue, in the name of Keepersearches and of Lord Kashez the Great Teacher, that I will serve you until the end of my days, or until you dismiss me from your service. From this day on my life is yours and I shall follow your commands above any, save for the gods themselves, and defend you and your house until my last breath. This I do so swear to you."

Her eyes widen slightly as Glaive recites his oath.  She wasn’t anything remotely approaching comfortable with somepony swearing to protect her with their life, although when she thought about it that was precisely what she’d asked him to do.  She was beginning to have mixed feelings on the matter, but she brushes them aside, confident that Glaive was an excellent soldier, and somepony she did trust completely.  “I... uh... you may rise now...” she directs to the kneeling unicorn.

Glaive rises and places his shield back onto his back, and takes his seat once more. “I am honored that you choose me, Lady Virtue, but I am still only mortal, if you wish a 24 hour guard, we will need to choose at least one more pony. Did you have anypony in mind?”

That was an excellent question.  She really did trust everypony in the militia.  Sarissa was clearly devoted to her... maybe even rabidly so.  But as Glaive had mentioned, she wasn’t one to keep her head cool when it was needed.  “Do you think Falcata would be willing to help you?  She’s already proven herself so much...”  Although that made her hate to ask more of the pegasus.  Not that she’d still have the same militia duties with this, but it was more responsibilities she might not want.  Not to mention the scheduling...

Glaive frowns, “I...I’m sure she would accept the position if offered, and she certainly deserves it, but if I may make one selfish request. Please do not offer her the job. She is my wife, and if we were your only two guards then, well we would never be off at the same time. I ask you, for my family’s sake, please don’t offer her the job, because if you do, I don’t think she would turn it down. I feel terrible asking this, but anypony else, please, just not her.”

That made a lot of sense, and she realizes how terrible of an idea it was.  “Oh, yes... sorry, I hadn’t even considered that.  I trust her as much as I do you, but I suppose that would be a very difficult position to put you two in.”  She sighs and looks aside.  “I’m not sure who else to pick... you work with the militia every day.  Do you have any recommendations?”

Glaive thinks for a long time, ‘Sarissa? No she’s bucking crazy. Kat? No. Glyph? Gods no, but he left anyway. Ponies in the militia I would pick first are the Captains, or Falcata and they are out. Jaxler? Maybe, but he’s a bit unstable, still better than some of the others. Rondel? Too inexperienced. Fuscina? Not a bad choice, but an earthpony, no magic, no wings, big disadvantages against certain foes. I guess it’ll have to be either...’

Glaive looks up, “I’d have to pick either Storm Cloud or Kris. Storm’s been in the guard a long time and as far as I know he’s never caused any trouble. I don’t know him personally, but if you think he’s an acceptable choice, I wouldn’t have a problem working with him. Additionally, I might have some magic abilities but I can’t deal with an enemy that is flying out of melee range, a pegasus like Storm can. However, Kris, she, she is one of the most incredible fighters here, and she’s got magic too, and I know I’d trust her to have my back in a fight. Still I’m not sure if I’d want to take her away from the front lines, I think she belongs there more than as a guard, but really either of them would be a good choice.”

They were both good suggestions.  She’d never heard anything bad about either.  Storm Cloud was the mayor... he’d have to give that up, but maybe it was time for somepony else to be mayor anyway.  Kris being a unicorn was a useful thing though...  “Those are both good suggestions, I believe both would give their all.  I think I’ll have to consider it... but if you think that Kris would be better suited in the militia then I think perhaps Storm Cloud is the better choice.”  She raises a hoof to her chin as she thinks.

“I... I think Storm Cloud would be the best choice.”  She tries to adjust her mane to get it out of her face and back into some semblance of a presentable manner.  “Would you go get him for me?  I’d like to ask him about the option... he may not want it, but it’s his if he does.”

Glaive stands and says, “As you wish milady.” before taking his leave to find the guard pony.

Virtue slumps back into her chair and tries to process the conversation that had just unfolded.  So many things had happened today and yesterday that she never thought she’d live to see... unjustified slaughter of so many innocents... accusations of murder... having a weapon placed in her face... injuring Sarissa... and now, now she had a personal guard.

She covers her eyes with her hooves again.  Maybe she really did need it.  Things were probably going to get worse before they got any better.  She could only hope that they did finally get better.  At least with Glaive and Storm Cloud watching out for her and her family... she might be spared watching her children die at least.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: April 20, 2012, 05:39:22 am »

and Fauchard.

Friesden, the legendary sword Excalibunny in her mouth, hurried to the grandmaster warrior’s room. None other than him, the legendary Fauchard, would be able to teach her how to use the equally legendary sword. She would petition him to teach her.

As the eager young student reaches the master’s room, she finds him sitting by his table deep in meditation. Whether the legendary warrior noted her approach or not he gave no sign, but continued to sit in his peaceful silence.

Friesden cautiously approached. To disturb the legendary warrior would surely not aid her in her cause to seek study under him. She crept up, and knelt before him, laying Excalibunny in between, and waited for the pleasure of the great warrior to pay attention to her.

Though Fauchard hid any sign of it, he was very much aware of the foal’s presence, and he suspected what she had come to ask him, and so whether she was aware of it or not, her first test was already begun. Fauchard continued to sit in silence in his meditation. If she truly wanted his knowledge, she would have patience.

Friesden tried to wait. The honourable fighter, the victor of a thousand battles against evil, he was honouring her by allowing her to be in his presence at all. He was most likely contemplating something beyond her experience. She would not dishonour herself now by speaking. She fought the temptation to fidget.

Many minutes passed before the master decided she had waited long enough. Slowly Excalibunny, the blade of legends, began to glow with a pale light, as it was engulfed in the unicorn’s magic. It rose and floated in the air between them, pointing skywards. “Tis a very fine weapon, you have come to possess my little pony.” spoke the unicorn at long last.

“Thank you, great warrior,” spoke Friesden, still not daring to look up. Maybe he would accept her apprenticeship to him, and maybe he would not. Until she knew for sure, she would remain in obeisance to the great and legendary warrior.

Fauchard, looking down at the young mare who was little more than a foal to his eyes, said “You must have a reason to have come to me today? Should not you be out with the others now, playing their foalish games?”

Friesden’s cheeks flush. She was still young, yes, and the grand warrior had seen it. But he asked why she was here, and she would prove honourable even to insults. It was another test. “I am here, mighty warrior, to pledge myself in apprenticeship to you,” she said, still not raising her head.

Fauchard had half a smile upon his lips, “You wish to be my apprentice? But I have no skills fit to teach a young mare such as yourself. I am a poor cook, and I have no skill with needle work. And I believe my son has already instructed you in your reading and writing and arithmetic at your stables. So tell me: what is it that a filly like yourself would wish to learn from me?”

Friesden’s cheeks flushed even more. The legendary warrior did not see any usefulness in a mare. But she would persevere. She would prove herself worthy of his instruction. “Master Fauchard,” she said, “I ask for your instruction in the martial art of the blade.” She rises up, looking him in the eyes.

As she stares him the eyes, his half smile grows full and he chuckles ever so slightly, “You have fire in your eyes, that is promising.” The wooden blade flips over in the air now, now pointing downward. “Are you certain you wish to begin this path? For she who steps on the way of the sword shall find her life only grows harder at each turn. Is that really what you want?”

“Yes,” answered Friesden firmly. If the legendary warrior thought he could scare her away by difficulty, he would not find her scared. She would do what it took to protect the good in the world.

Fauchard stands, “If this is the path you choose in life, then I shall not stand in your way.” The sword rotates so that the handle is right before Friesden, “Take your weapon and we shall begin your training at once, but know I will not make things easy for you daughter.”

“I wouldn’t want you to, dad,” is her only verbal answer as she takes up the sword. He accepted her. This was already further than she thought she would get.

Fauchard was still not convinced that she really knew what she was asking for, but he saw no harm in letting her try. He didn’t expect her to make it through even one session, but no small part of him hoped that she would surprise him. Together they made their way toward the barracks where the master acquired a wooden blade of his own, and their training did begin.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: April 20, 2012, 06:27:22 am »

and Fauchard.

Friesden walks into the barracks, Excalibunny in her mouth. The bruises from yesterday had not yet faded, but she bore the pain proudly. She wouldn’t give up now. She had been accepted, and nothing her father, her tutor, the legendary warrior Fauchard, could do would make her quit.

As Friesden sets eyes upon Fauchard he stands there with a pair of large saddlebags full to bursting, with what she could only guess. At his side was not a training axe, but his trusty steel blade. “You decided to come back for more. Good. Today, we are going to start with a short walk. Take one of the bags and follow me,” instructs Fauchard, taking one of the bags onto his back and leading the way.

Friesden lifts up one of the bags and puts it on, before taking up Excalibunny again and following. What her mentor had planned now, she couldn’t guess, but experience told her it would be hard. But no matter what, she would do it.

Fauchard leads the mare toward the newly repaired drawbridge at the edge of town. “Just a bit farther,” he says as they reach the point furthest from home that Friesden had ever been.

“Where are we going?” asked the pegasus as she continued to follow her master. She wasn’t scared. Just curious.

“You’ll see soon,” is the only answer the old stallion gives. After only a 15 minute walk down the road away from the town walls they reach a small flowered meadow. Fauchard stops, looks around and says, “Yes, this is the place.” He takes out a large blanket from his saddlebag and places it on the ground and takes a seat.

Friesden is confused at this, and stays standing. “What are we doing here?” she eventually asks.

Fauchard inhales deeply and exhales completely before beginning to answer. “We are here to do things, one we are here to rest our bodies, after the hard training they did yesterday, and we are here to train. Does that confuse you?”

“To rest?” she continues to inquire. “But...I...I thought we would be doing more of what we did yesterday...” The legendary warrior was trying to confuse her with this. But Friesden couldn’t help it - she was confused.

Fauchard lies on his back and begins to watch the clouds, “Friesden, open your saddlebag, perhaps then you will begin to understand why we are here.”

Friesden promptly opens the saddlebags, looking within. Within them she finds only three hoof made books of fine quality. She takes the largest one out, still confused, and opens it up.Inside she sees that it seems to be nothing more than a large book of poems with detailed illustrations. “Poems? I still...I still don’t understand...”

Fauchard takes his time in responding. “There is also a book of history, and one of the stories Glaive is fond of. Friesden, if I teach you only one thing, it would be this. A warrior needs more than a shape blade, and a hard body, he also needs a strong mind, and a mind needs books, like a sword needs a whetstone. We will not work our bodies everyday, nor will we work our minds each day either. Focus too much on one, and you will only cause yourself harm. When you work one, give it your all, but then let it rest. This is how you grow.”

Friesden understood...at least, she thought she did. She nodded, and carefully holding the book of poetry, she began to read. If her master, if her father, told her this would help...then surely it would.

The duo spend the rest of the day sitting in that meadow. Fauchard had brought some food and drink for them to share, and they spent the day reading, discussing, and meditating on the works from the book of poetry. As it neared nightfall the master packed up their belongings and the two ponies headed home. Tomorrow would be another day of physical training, but both felt rested and ready for it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: April 20, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »

((20th Hematite, 259))
((Pier Falls))

Summer was bearing down on Dawnpick, but the ponies worked on in the heat. Sadly, for today it may have been a mistake. Amor was sweating under her smock and the resting rough gabbro stone on her back, the rock was a part of the old southern wall that was being deconstructed. Her job was to collect salvageable rubble that was knocked down and take it to the Mason shops for repurposing. Dejectedly, there was an overhanging pier that had to be decommissioned too. Because of the skywalk’s construction, it would be dangerous; the Unicorn mare suggested wooden scaffolding but was rejected. She would soon come to regret not pushing for her idea.

Amor finished making blocks of the stone, she went back to collect more but was stopped in her tracks by the sound of crashing stone and the sight of dust thrown into the air. The copper Unicorn pauses for a moment and then speeds off in a gallop and stops cold when she sees the destruction. Amber who was no longer a foal but not comply a mare yet, along with Cross Stitch were being hauled to the hospital, Amor’s heart dropped. Amber’s mother Hickory was following the pony that carried her child; she was yelling prayers to Etom the goddess of generosity to let her daughter live.

Later after following the injured to the infirmary the Unicorn mare waited outside of the wooden building thinking in storms. If only we had more ponies overseeing the deconstruction, double-checked the plans or if only I objected to the original more. The remaining family members of the injured finally find themselves to the hospital. Splinter, Amber’s father and her five sisters and only brother arrive and look at Amor, each having a different face but all full of the same sadness, fear and loathing. “Sorry.” The mason mouths incapable of voicing the word, Panacea then sorrowfully welcomes the family in, the Pegasus wishing they met in better circumstances.

Amor leaves to where the pier collapsed and found no-pony there but Mortar; he was humming to the stone a repentant melody that caused the gabbro to resonate apologetically. The mare holds back her emotions as she whispers. “Life might be one long song… even with all its sad parts… in the end you will be calling for encore.” The mare starts to clean up the wreckage, continues till bed time and starts back again before sunrise. This goes on for the next two days until Amor is stopped by Indigo and he talks her into teaching the maimed Unicorns to live without their horns. “Indigo, I’m more then willing to do this. I can do things employing magic or not if desired, while Amber and Cross Stitch no longer have the comfort of a option. Not to add that Cross Stitch has had a century to grow fond of magic, this could be most difficult for him.” The mare informs the stallion.

Next few days Amor frequents the hospital in attempt to talk with the patients, their family and doctor. Although agreed on, it is going to take time to recover before acclimatizing them on living without their horns. After two weeks past, Amor and Indigo visits and are witness to a dying Amber. The adult Unicorn mare made her peace with the event and was moving on for the sakes of Amber and Cross Stitch. The confronting overtones of Amor’s father, voice in her head. Whom the gods favor die first, and at heavens’ gate they are the first to be welcomed. Amor was doing much better then Indigo as he was seeing the young mare at her worse yet and after awhile they both leave with the sensation of being drained.

- - -

((8th Obsidian, 259))
((Dragon Fright))

+appearance of

It had been three months since Amber left the hospital; Amor had the day off and was spending it with the injured Unicorn. The younger mare was out of surgical casts and had no need for crutches now even if she was weak. Amor had been wrong about Cross Stitch, who rarely feels discouraged and is confident; compared to that of Amber who is often sad and dejected. Worse yet, Amber felt it was her fault that the pier collapsed, she had done the first thing that came to mind when there was a lose rock. Forgetting what she was told in bucking lose rocks, she overlook that the piece was unsupported, that she was on the part that would fall and that Cross was below collecting rubble. It was going to be a difficult task teaching the peach maned Little Pony to live a life devoid of magic. The worse could be over for Cross Stitch who about experienced a nervous breakdown when he first returned to the loom, Amor thought in her Old Master’s voice. Never become complacent in your abilities Amor, the moment you do that, you already died a little death before the finale leap. Just as a corpse in the ground, you become decayed and useless in your life.

It was warm for a winter’s day but this was normal for Dawnpick, otherwise a perfect day until the sound of heart-stilling roars that stringed the ears were heard. Pandemonium of panicking ponies took the village of Dawnpick at a dragon’s assault; Amber nearly jumps out of her coat as Amor bends her knees to run when possible. The goldenrod maned Unicorn’s eyes and ears scans the direction of the monsters shrieking from Amber’s and hers location in the church grounds. She then crawls under the foal-ish mare, lifts the Little Pony up on her withers and canters to the safety that was the Dining Hall’s undercroft. Before entering the gabblo brick building, Amor caught a glimpse of a steel clad Unicorn beginning to engage a dragon in single combat.

The earth only slightly rumbles at the fighting above, as the ponies below tremble from their own nerves. Amor was holding up well, but Amber is all but relieving herself in her fright. In seeing this, the older mare takes her further into the wine stockpiles to get away from the commotion. Amor’s heart aches at the sight of the young mare crying akin to a foal again. She held the weeping Amber rocking her slightly and whispering. “Hush now, quiet now. Little filly who has just hurdled from the jaws of death and into those jaws once more. Life is full of struggles, some won as others lost, but fought are the ones that are often prevailed from.”

Amor huffs at the futileness of her attempts of trying to sooth the weeping Unicorn, and adds. “Amber, you are not alone, we all lose something in life. Some more so then others, but as long we may live we must make something good out of it. I am with you Amber and Cross Stitch is too.” With those words Amor took an apprentice; after awhile the tumult dies down and ponies ran to fight the dragon fires raging above. The older mare proceed to leave only to have her rear leg tangled up with two foreign ones, looking back to find Amber returning a pleading expression and Amor in a saccharine voice. “Oh, I have faith that they can handle it without us.” The two unicorns stay there for awhile and the older one thought more clearly. One of the days I fear is here, Old Master, despair knowing I’m never going to be like you.

Some time later the two mares ascend to the surface and exit the legendary hall. Ash was in the air, blocking some of the sun’s rays. Fires were under control, ponies were beginning to cleanup the destruction. There were no fatalities but much of the ponies’ works were undone. Amor looks at the destroyed statues, water eyed and none of them hers. At least that horrid statue of Ìtdùn the Pegasus goddess of depravity and lust was gone, but sad that it was destroyed. Her eyes follow the unrecognizable broken road to the absent trade depot, then to the broken cinnabar block drawbridge before catching the sight of the dragon and its slayer. Amor trots over to the armor clad Unicorn.

“Brave mare, are we interrupting your grandeur?” Amor shouts but her voice carries short. Amber follows behind her master, they both approach the militia-pony, within her field of view the older mare curtseys but the gesture is lost on the younger Unicorn. Sarissa’s boots tips and shield were scorched and still smoking. In the militia-pony’s eyes, Amor observed the remnant magic of Vitalsight spell and speaks with a slight dynamistic tone. “This is Amber and I am Amor, pleasure to find such stalwart defender of Dawnpick as yourself. On behalf of Dawnpick, thank you, Slayer Sarissa” The mare curtseys again and this time imitated by Amber.

“Dear sweet Celestia...” the armored militia pony whispered under her breath. She had caught sight of a dead cat, corpse burned to a blackened crisp by the fire that had only just now been put out. Worse yet, there were more scattered about randomly. Sarissa took a deep swallow, feeling sorrow welling up from within her heart; despite her knack for killing monsters, she had always had a soft spot for pets. She was snapped from the smoking fur on the deceased feline by the words of Amor. She chokes back the urge to tear up and answers, “I...uh...no, I suppose not.” Sarissa stands and listens as the pair are introduced, “There’s...no need to thank me for my services. I’m only doing my duty.”

The mason-pony observes Sarissa’s uneasiness, grandeur was a word far from what the militia-pony was experiencing but glory is more a romantic notion then what life makes of it. “There's no ‘cat’astrophe that can't become a blessing…” Amor seeks to reassure the armored mare, she then turns her attention to cleaning the place up. “Amber lets see if anypony knows best where to start.” The Unicorn stares back at Sarissa. “Not everypony would face a Dragon in single combat and for that you have our gratitude.” The mare said as she focuses on the ruins.

The militia pony shrugs, “Nopony else was there, so I figured I’d have to do it myself. At least its skull will make a nice ornament for my room.” She began to think of where to mount it, perhaps between a couple of the badger pony skulls she had also acquired in battle. Her horn ignites in a green aura as Sarissa begins to help with the clean up operation. The unicorn wasn’t the best for conversation, so she was probably going to keep her silence for the moment and size up this new acquaintance based on her words and actions.

Amor continues to clean with her fore-hooves allowing Sarissa to have space to work her magic. She finds it pleasant to see that the militia holds such responsibility over the damage caused by their actions or that of the enemies. The Unicorns remained silent for much of the work, although Amor slows around the broken statues as if a corpse. Life is a sculptor who chisels the world to beauty… or to death. The Unicorn dwells on the moment.

Other ponies had decided to pull a wooden wagon out in order to have a way to transport the debris efficiently. Sarissa took the opportunity to use it for its intended purpose and began loading it up with the shattered, stony remains of the destroyed statues. Surprisingly, it didn’t take long to clear the charred ground of those items. The militia pony paused as the filled trailer was towed away by a couple of other ponies and turned her attention to the shattered bridge, “I don’t like this. With the drawbridge broken, our mobility into and out of Dawnpick is going to be hindered. Well, except for the pegasi, I suppose.” Even though she lacked the masonry skills required to help rebuild the bridge, she decided that she may at least be able to help collect and bring the needed stone to where it was needed.

Amor hears the concerned words of the steel clad pony and seeks to reassure the mare. “Worrying is not going to do anypony any good but thanks for the consideration.” The mason-pony barely can voice over all the work going on. Although, Dawnpick has no need for more blocks, orders to replace the ones needed to rebuild the bridge were called for. Amor and Sarissa go there opposite ways but both works in their own capacities. It takes two weeks to finish the bridge, re-establishing Dawnpick to the mines and rest of the world.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:56:37 am by Psalms01 »
Victoria intus Amicitia; Amor et Patientiam; Salve ad Armentum.
-Psalms01, your Adoring Omnidimensional Overlord.
> Dues Ex Magma!
> "Nah, we're fine. We have too much food anyway, bad thoughts from seeing vermin never killed nopony, refuse stockpile is less clogged, and cats are safely tucked away in a cage." -Maklak
> Dwarfy Proverb: "Every-dwarf grows there beard to different lengths."
> Psalms tries to type, but the words are deflected by the Google Docs' +broken code+! -Telgin

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: April 20, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »

With Falcata and Glaive being parents, Glyph being off with stiletto and Kat in the hospital the job of watching over the stables was left unattended. Of all the ponies in Dawnpick there were few truly capable of filling the roll. Only one pony was willing to fill the job, and he was not one of them. Jaxler was bored as hell and had a nasty head ache. Jaxler had woken up on top of the stables and had a horrid sense of dread.
Jaxler had to do a lot of annoying things today. He had to get a lease for a craftpony's workshop so he could go back to making wood crafts for a living, he also had to buy an axe so he could go back to wood cutting and he had to also buy some wood cutting tools with the few bits that he had left. The one thing scarred him most of all was the fact that he wouldn't have enough bits to buy booze by the end of the day. Jaxler though about this for a long while before realizing that he was on top of the stables, which needed an baby sitter seeing how all the regular one were gone. Jaxler though that he could get paid for helping out there (and would be wrong). So Jaxler flew down to ground level and walked into the building with a fake smile and said "Aye there foals, If I'm correct you need a substitute Stable master... guy... pony... Watcher... thing!"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:16:31 pm by jaxler »

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: April 20, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »

"I stood in town square, there was a melancholy air clouding Dawnpick after the depot incident. It was the dead of winter, there was some irony in that. Winter, death, my foal-hood is lost. I witnessed death, I witnessed deceit, I witnessed combat. I was apart of combat, and I need to be able to end combat. With the crack of a whip, with the snap of bone, with the clash of steel, with the flow of blood, I will defend Dawnpick. I will defend my family, my friends, my fellow ponies. I will- hey there's Jaxler over by the stables!" Granite says, snapping out of his monologue. He jumps off the roof of an apartment and lands on the nearby tree. Hopping from branch to branch he gently lands on the ground. "And they say earth ponies are ground locked!" Granite muses to himself. He casually strides over to the stables, wanting to witness the hilarity of Jaxler taking care of foals...
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 239