Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 236276 times)

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #2250 on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:29 am »

Now this was interesting. If Jaxler feared for his life, then he must have committed some great offense.

Sarissa's muscles tense as she mentally grips her ax more tightly with telekinetic power.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: April 03, 2012, 02:26:20 am »

Her eyes go wide at the implication that she'd ever consider executing somepony.  "Wh-what?  I.. I'd never!  I mean... no, the... the normal course of action would be to send you back to Coupledye for prosecution... but... I... I'm not sure... if I should..."
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: April 03, 2012, 02:37:01 am »

"Why the hell not? Does the idea of sticking me in a small, cold iron cage with no food and just enough water to keep me from dying during my deportation to Coupledye, and getting executed once reaching the city, make you feel uncomfortable?"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:39:33 am by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: April 03, 2012, 03:00:23 am »

Virtue blinks in bafflement for a moment.  "Well... yes, it does.  Jaxler... I... I don't know every detail... but I don't think you deserve death.  You... we've had our differences in the past... but I think you're a good pony at heart."  She nervously traces a hoof across her desk.  "I... don't think I'm going to respond to the letter... but I'm not sure what else to do..."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: April 03, 2012, 03:05:28 am »

"You could burn that document and pretend this never happened."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:12:16 am by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: April 03, 2012, 03:12:05 am »

She nods slowly, having actually considered such a thing.  But now Sarissa knew about it.  Or that Jaxler had done something quite bad.  It was likely only a matter of time before the other ponies found out.  Then what?  Would they be outraged that a criminal was part of the guard, doling out justice?  Much less second in command?

"I... don't know if I can do that.  I fear what will happen if everypony else finds out."  She motions to Sarissa.  "Even if only we knew... I fear that others will get similar letters, or see them on caravans.  I'm not sure if they would trust you being in the guard..."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: April 03, 2012, 03:21:09 am »

"I'm not leaving the guard and what happens if such letters don't get sent out and nopony ever knows about this aside from me you and Sarissa?"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:23:19 am by jaxler »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: April 03, 2012, 03:29:39 am »

"Well... I... suppose..." she trails off, unsure of what she even wanted now.  "...what were you charged with, exactly?"

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:34 am »

"more accounts of grand theft then one could keep count of."

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: April 03, 2012, 10:36:04 am »

Sarissa flinches, "Wh-what?!" The unicorn's eyes widen as she looks back and forth between Virtue and Jaxler, as if searching for an explanation among their expressions. Her face then contorts into a grimace as she lowers her head, "We've have a master thief in the guard this whole time?! Have you stolen from us, too?!"

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: April 03, 2012, 01:51:33 pm »

Jaxler gazed angrily at Sarissa.

"I haven't stolen anything in 7 years, and if I had stolen something, I would have fled Dawnpick the moment I got my hoofs on it. IN FACT, I came to this little outpost planning on ending my life as a thief."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:55:11 pm by jaxler »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: April 03, 2012, 03:18:24 pm »

Virtue feels a knot of apprehension grow inside her.  Perhaps Sarissa wasn't the best pony to have present for this.  She was a dedicated soldier, but from what she'd heard she was a bit... enthusiastic... about fighting.  Jaxler was easily provoked too.  She had to do something to ease the tension... but what could she do?

What was she supposed to do?  Jaxler was a wanted criminal, and even if she wanted to just sweep all of this under a rug and pretend she'd never even seen the letter, it was too late now.  Sarissa knew, and the first rule about keeping secrets is to tell nopony.  The moment somepony else finds out about it, it's no longer under your control and will get out eventually.   What to do... what to do...?

And Jaxler should be held accountable for his crimes.  If Flux had to be held accountable for attacking Glaive, then Jaxler should be accountable for what must have amounted to an immense number of bits in theft.  But if she turned him in to Coupledye, they may well kill him, and she couldn't live with herself knowing she'd signed somepony off to their death.  And he didn't deserve that.  But what did he deserve?  He hadn't stolen from anypony here.  And maybe he was telling the truth about wanting to turn over to a new page in his life in Dawnpick.

"E-Everypony... please, let's calm down.  I-I need to think a moment..."

Maybe she should speak to Partisan?  He might know what to do... dealing with criminals was his job, not hers directly.  And he was Jaxler's captain, he deserved to know about this if anypony did.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: April 03, 2012, 03:39:50 pm »

At Virtue's request, the brown mare lowered her levitating ax, which had been subconsciously raised during her initial shock. She attempted to control the aggression in her voice, "Well...if you're looking for suggestions, my Lady, might I suggest that we lock him up until a decision is made? I don't like the idea of letting him roam freely. He could well use the opportunity to flee, and I don't think we can have that. Besides, once he is locked up we can do a thorough search of his room to determine if he is being truthful or not."

She never took her eyes off of Jaxler.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

"I'm not going to let anypony search my room, but I will understand if you want me locked up. Just so long as you let me have a decent amount of booze and my crossbow, and if you promise me that I'm not going to get executed."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:05:16 pm by jaxler »

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: April 03, 2012, 04:16:17 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:54:24 pm by Omicega »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 239