Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 229903 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2011, 03:36:28 am »

Sorry about that zomara0292, I didn't have time to update today like I'd planned.  I'll get Partisan's image up for you and another fort update tomorrow.  Maybe I'll have some of Flux's traps in place too. :D
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2011, 03:11:50 pm »

That's well written Omicega!  Looking forward to more.

Here you go zomara0292, here's Partisan's avatar and in game description.  I took a little liberty with the expression, but based on your post I think that's the sort of personality you were going for, hehe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtue's Diary - 1st Sandstone, 254

We really need more doctors.  Poor Panacea has been running ragged trying to care for our four currently wounded ponies.  The news is good and bad.  She tells me that Fuscina has some nerve damage like Glaive suffered, but since he's been getting along reasonably well despite it I think she'll pull through fine.  Falcata's hoof has become infected, despite the fact that we have plenty of soap, but Panacea doesn't think it's too serious.  At least she tells me that Partisan should be fine, she already took at look at his wing and the cut wasn't as bad as she thought at first.

The better news is that we've started in earnest on smithing some steel boots for everypony in the militia, so this will hopefully be the last we see of injured hooves and legs.  Oh, and while the smiths are busy toiling away at protecting our militia, the town hall is coming along nicely.  We just need to get a roof over it now, but from experience I know that will take longer than it looks.

3rd Sandstone, 254

I was standing out at the drawbridge, trying to figure out how we were going to fix some architectural problems when Diamond Shard came trotting up to me, telling me she heard something massive flying around in the caverns below.  She couldn't see it, blocked off from us as it was, but she and the other miners were quite nervous.

I completely understand their worries, and I asked Halberd and Naginata to go check it out, just to be sure.  They came back half an hour later confused, having neither seen nor heard anything.  I believe Diamond Shard and Chic, but I think perhaps we lucked out and whatever it was took no notice and went about its business.  Maybe it can't reach us anyway.

So I went back to reviewing the drawbridge.  Flux came to me a few weeks ago with some plans for a more elaborate trap network to defend our entrance, and I must say I'm impressed.  If I didn't know better, I'd have pegged him for a bit of a tactician!  The final design will allow us to let in merchants and anypony else we want in, and when the situation warrants it, we'll be able to force intruders down a hallway of traps.  Coupled with the moat that we've set back to work on, I feel safer already!

7th Sandstone, 254

Mortar stopped by my office this afternoon to tell me that we're running dangerously low on stone and blocks for the town hall.  With them mining up marble for making steel, I'd nearly forgotten that was even possible, so I put in the order for some more shale and gabbro to be quarried.  We'll get the town hall fixed up soon enough, I hope.

We finished tearing down the old drawbridge today, and I asked Totem, our residen bone carver with no bones to carve, to lend Flux a hoof in setting up some of the initial traps for the defense network.  He didn't seem to mind, as I'm sure he's been quite bored sitting around with nothing to do all day.

Speaking of Flux, when I made my rounds to speak with him, I found out that we're running very low on charcoal again.  I'll put in a word with Ashwood to see about getting some more trees cut.

It's still very much a work in progress, heh.  The first row of traps are down past a drawbridge over the future moat.  I might extend the moat into the dodge me fall areas, but at the risk of friendlies drowning I might just opt for more traps.  We'll see.

Ashwood's Journal - 7th Sandstone, 254

Things have been pretty quiet around here for me lately.  When we first settled here four years ago, I couldn't get a break, but lately I haven't had a whole lot to do.  I've been spending time talking with everypony and lending a hoof at the carpenter's shop when they needed me, but I've been a bit bored.

Thankfully, Virtue took me aside today and told me that we needed some more trees cut, and the saplings outside the walls were beginning to get big enough to be worth chopping down again.  I never thought I'd say I was happy to have to work, but it did feel good chipping in again.  Apparently the unicorns can't turn the plants into wood fast enough!

I'll admit I was a bit nervous first stepping outside though.  The badger pony thieves have been a real nuisance lately, and I didn't want to be joining Brook by one of them catching me by surprise.  Fortunately, that didn't turn out to be a problem.  At least, not yet.

Virtue's Diary - 9th Sandstone, 254

Today it was Barley's turn to be taken by one of these strange moods.  He was down in the stills, working hard like he always does when he just walked up to the surface and took over our leather works.  He grabbed the sole piece of leather we had, and set off to scrounge up whetever else he thought necessary.  I'm not sure I like the expression he had... it was almost like his eyes weren't even his.  He just kept mumbling the same things over and over again, different from what we've seen so far.  I'll have to keep an eye on him.

In happier news, Partisan left the hospital today.  Panacea had his wing bandaged up, and he looked well.  I'm sure Halberd will have him back training in no time.

18th Sandstone, 254

I had a good scare today.  Somehow Pewter found herself stuck in the bottom of one of the dried up ponds inside the settlement, and it was only by chance that Flux happened to be near enough to her to hear her cries for help.  We immediately sent Diamond Shard to channel a ramp for her to get out.  She was pretty weak from dehydration, but after a quick examination from Panacea, she went off to get some food and drink and to rest for a while.  She should be fine.  I'm thinking we might better floor over those ponds...

5th Timber, 254

Barley finally got a hold of everything he needed today and started working furiously on something.  I'm pretty interested to see what it is, but I'm mostly just happy he got everything he needed.  That possessed look he had was beginning to worry everypony in Dawnpick, not least of all me.

I'm extremely happy to note however, that Sarissa finally left the hospital today!  Her hoof still isn't completely recovered, but she's getting around well enough to at least go back home.  I think Halberd will keep her on light duty for a while at least, but I know she has to be happy to be out of the hospital finally.

I am, once again, a doofus.  Apparently I never turned on Panacea's bone setting labor, and as such she never properly tended to Sarissa.  That's why she never gave her a crutch.  Gah.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2011, 03:55:38 pm »

Flux' Journal Sandstone 18

It had been a while since I had seen Pewter, but I hadn't really given it much thought.  I've been pretty busy lately, what with the new gate and smelting more and more steel.  Today, though, I ran into her.  She had fallen into one of the dried ponds, and didn't look good.  I ran to get somepony to help her, and Panacea said she just needs some food and water.  Later, I thought I saw Virtue looking at the ponds and frowning.  She probably has a plan to make them safer, she's a smart pony.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:24:12 pm by Omicega »

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2011, 11:43:15 am »

Hey Telgin, I finally got around to reading this thread, I'd been meaning to for awhile. I've really enjoyed it so far, everypony's writings have been great.

Is there an up to date pony list for this fort, because if so I might like to claim a pony.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »

Thanks, glad you like it!  The pony list in the spoiler tag in the first post should be up to date, if memory serves.  It might be missing a few of the foals, as I forget if any have been born since I last updated it.  All of the adults should be there.

As always, the names and professions are just what I slapped on them, and are subject to adjustment if desired.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40:40 pm »

I'd like to claim Glaive, unicorn Stallion Axepony. ((Why does my spell-check not know what a Glaive is?)) I'll try and make a few journal entries for him when I have time later this week. If it's not to much to ask, I'd also like to request a pony avatar for him.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2011, 02:08:39 pm »

Thanks for joining!  No problem about the avatar, I'll try to get one together as soon as I can (may be Tuesday or Wednesday before I get a chance, I'll be away from my regular computer until then).

My browser doesn't recognize the word glaive either, which is pretty odd, since I'm positive it's spelled right.

Anyway, Glaive's already got a few scars from battle, hope you don't mind a slightly used pony. :)  He should have a full suit of steel armor sooner than later though, so it shouldn't be getting much worse at any rate.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »

I don't mind a few scars, gives him character. When you upload his ingame picture, could you provide a pic of his relations page as well, if he's got any friends or lovers or grudges worth mentioning.

JaxtalMK2

• Bay Watcher
  • The gamer is in
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2011, 02:34:19 pm »

Just thought I'd wish all of yall on Dawnpick a quick Merry Christmas. Hope yours is wonderful!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2011, 02:46:30 pm »

Thanks!  Mine was very nice, got some pony stuff for Christmas so I'm happy.  Hope you all had a merry Christmas as well!

I'll probably post another update in a couple of days along with Glaive's stuff for KingStrongbeard.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2011, 06:12:00 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:24:04 pm by Omicega »

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2011, 11:52:47 pm »

(I have written out journal entries for most of the major events since Glaive joined the fortress. It's a bit long so I spoiler'd it. I'll edit in a avatar, when I have one.)

Edit: Avatar is ready!

Spoiler: Glaive's Journal (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:00:22 pm by KingStrongbeard »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2011, 01:16:15 am »

Ah, aspiring to be captain, eh?  I may make a third axepony squad to keep the squads small.  He's already a hero, and is actually the third best axepony (had a two-month beating fest on a Diamond Dog's steel helmet, doing nothing each hit, but gaining skill!)  We'll see how it works out... I think Virtue would appreciate his sense of duty to the other militia ponies.  I'll probably get his stuff posted Tuesday night.  Do you have a preference on the type of beard?  I can just sort of try a few things out I suppose.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2011, 01:20:43 am »

Do you have a preference on the type of beard?  I can just sort of try a few things out I suppose.

No real preference. Feel free to try whatever you like, although I think a short, goatee like beard would look least silly on a pony, but a big dwarvenly beard is cool to, and I am a fan of big dwarven beards. Surprise me.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 239